joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 12-13 Storm Threat

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be slightly interested in 0z later, but still expecting maybe some slush mixed in with rain where I am and most of the city. Hopefully there can be a surprise-we can definitely use a refresher down here where it's been melting all day. The models getting colder has been a little intriguing, but my gut says intriguing to the point it snows like crazy in White Plains and Bridgeport and it's a 35 degree rain down here. 

36 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

If the city and Long Island can manage somehow to stay all snow... total precip is between .7-.8..... 1.0"+ north of NYC 

Just came back. Did this creep closer to MMU from before? I can't tell versus earlier. My son has a baseball clinic tomorrow at 2; I don't want to go out in snow and ice if I can help it.

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I'll be slightly interested in 0z later, but still expecting maybe some slush mixed in with rain where I am and most of the city. Hopefully there can be a surprise-we can definitely use a refresher down here where it's been melting all day. The models getting colder has been a little intriguing, but my gut says intriguing to the point it snows like crazy in White Plains and Bridgeport and it's a 35 degree rain down here. 

I think south shore that may be about right but I could see north Queens, Manhattan and parts of New Jersey west of NYC having a bad ice storm from this.   I would be very surprised if a major snow event occurred in the metro. 

9 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I'd like to be in a place like port Jeff for this. I think they are in for a big surprise. Here on the south shore I think it's a couple inches at the end

I am a little surprised at seeing the 10-1 snow ratio maps saying 3-4" even in Central Park. I still think that's overdone but maybe it's not a pipe dream. There'll be a nice snowpack after this up around I-84. 

3 minutes ago, Animal said:

think most agree. sorta what noaa is forecasting.

Still great to see those snowy short range models!!!

I think areas North of Rt 80 could see a few inches but I don't think anyone should be expecting more than that. A few inches + some ice seems pretty reasonable. The snowpack will help to keep surface temps a few degrees colder too, which could add to any icing threats. 

14 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Latest HRRR is very cold... Met on twitter just said CAD, low level cold and snowpack is starting to get picked up by models... 

Seems warmer than the one posted earlier with snow across all of NYC and Long Island. The HRRR can be good at spotting last second trends but can also reverse itself quickly to the model consensus. There were some HRRR runs I think that only had NYC 4-6" from the last storm only to reverse later to the consensus. 

Archived