Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23-24th Nor'easter Nowcast/Obs

dmillz25

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Meh on the winds though, I get more on a spring day up here... 10mph sustained highest gust was 27

The writing was on the wall from a wind standpoint over the weekend when all the guidance backed off. I think part of the problem is that the guidance over estimated the strength of the convection last night

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

HRRR goes nuts later with a deformation rain band over western LI. Some areas double the rain already fallen in the band. 

Weird, usually you hear about deformation snow bands, not rain bands.  This isn't some kind of norlun is it?

18 minutes ago, Paragon said:

I think this kind of confused me as to the conversion.

Also, I remember seeing a map Ulster posted that had 25" near his spot lol.

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/nomogram/ip.and.freezingrain.2.html

Prolonged Sleet - Tentative Findings

• Liquid equivalent to sleet ratios - a limited number of “largely to all sleet” cases suggest a liquid equivalent to sleet ratio of 1:2-3 inches.

That paper states that sleet could be anywhere from 1:2 to 1:3

I finished with 3.4" here of snow/sleet. 2.8" of sleet and 0.6" of snow. Roughly 1" Liquid equivalent here

24 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Funny thing is I read that it was freezing rain up at Mt Pocono and even up in Burlington, VT.  It sounds like the higher rates by you meant more sleet and snow rather than the freezing rain that areas further NW and higher up got, because they were on the edges of the storm and didn't see the rates you did.

Elevation will increase the chances of you seeing ZR over sleet/snow when dealing with warming mid levels. Closer to the warm layer

Just now, Paragon said:

Weird, usually you hear about deformation snow bands, not rain bands.  This isn't some kind of norlun is it?

Temperature is the only reason why it's rain and not snow.

The surface low is slowly decaying today, however as the atmosphere becomes a little less stable later today, some new convection could fire around the circulation. It's the same as you would see with an ULL during Spring.

2 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I think it might have been higher then both of those here. I'm trying to figure out which storm it was on par with. Irene was definitely about a foot higher. And despite the weaker winds it was higher then march 2010. 

For me it came in a little higher than the coastal flooding last January. The Great South Bay here made it about 3 inches above the top of the dock.

USGS.01309225.106550.62619..20160101.20170124..0..gif

15 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

If you didn't use a snow board to measure this your totals are probably low.

I measured 4.3 inches on my snow board and 2.6 on my blacktop driveway where  the sleet did not accumulate right away and compression even of dense sleet was more pronounced because of the underlying heat of the driveway.

Every respectable weenie measures on a snow board.

20 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

If you didn't use a snow board to measure this your totals are probably low.

I measured 4.3 inches on my snow board and 2.6 on my blacktop driveway where  the sleet did not accumulate right away and compression even of dense sleet was more pronounced because of the underlying heat of the driveway.

Same here... only about 3" on grass/driveway but 4.8 total from board 

24 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Same here... only about 3" on grass/driveway but 4.8 total from board 

In theory you would have less in the driveway if its asphalt due to some melting because of the warmth that the asphalt held.  I have a stone driveway so it's not as noticeable but the stone still holds more warmth than the grass.    

Archived