• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Model Mayhem III!

Typhoon Tip

Experimental: watching the 21st through the 26th for emerging storm signal.

I say "experimental,"   ...because obviously these teleconnector mode/modlity -based suggestion don't always bear fruit. It is always a game of balancing probabilities in any engagement where chaos plays a role. 

But, the multi-day rise in the PNA has been well underway, and now... we have in recent days (going back four as far as I am aware) a solidly consistent -NAO progged from the GEFs mean. That -NAO part of this gets rolling over the next week.   Somewhere out there in time, there's a bit of an Archembault signal. 

maybe.jpg

The PNA alone is more central to her statistical science, but the NAO does have a bit of its own similar finding/study, so the two together only helps the idea along.. That's number 1 above.

Not sure if that later signal number 2 has legs, but that's a secondary peak in the PNA that's also gathered some legs in the last two days.  The EPO relaxing the postiive mode with antecedent rise in the PNA ... it offers some hope that if the EPO does go negative, the heights in the deep south won't be as out of sync and thusly hugely compressed with too much anomalously fast flow to allow much to happen. 

So, long and the short:   The shorter term deal over the next couple days ...but there is a more multi-region, mult- faceted signal in the 21st + range. I saw the 00z Euro get close and well ... much to our collective chagrin, Archembault doens't discuss snow or rain - just 'enhancing precipitation' - which intuits event frequency from logic alone.  The operational runs have been flirting with that anyway - this is a time when the flirtation may actually lead to something.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

John, I was looking at the indices as well and noticed the rise modeled in the PNA and the phase change on the NAO. 

Taking a look at last nights Op Euro (00z) you can see this nicely.  The EPS has a nice look too btw.

ecmwf_z500_mslp_nhem_9.png

ecmwf-ens_z500_mslp_nhem_9.png

That is an impressive appeal!

I didn't want to get too into modeling specifics....heh, despite the thread's title and so forth, as there will certainly be reams of pages for that sort of digging in. 

But yeah, that's just thickness challenged by ooooh so little from becoming a historic snow thing there.  That's like a "snow machine" look. It's when you have sfc to 875mb NE, then E from 850 to 750 mb, then SE from there to 600 or so ...then S and so on...  Basically, maximizing theta-e transport into relative sigma levels without tainting the total depth with too much warmth at any given layer.  Any system that achieves that is a snow machine - We used to joke about that but it's legit when you think about it.

Anyway, that's obviously subject to change... just that as is, that's an impressive look.  It's also technically a Red Block btw

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I didn't want to get too into modeling specifics....heh, despite the thread's title and so forth, as there will certainly be reams of pages for that sort of digging in. 

But yeah, that's just thickness challenged by ooooh so little from becoming a historic snow thing there.  That's like a "snow machine" look. It's when you have sfc to 875mb NE, then E from 850 to 750 mb, then SE from there to 600 or so ...then S and so on...  Basically, maximizing theta-e transport into relative sigma levels without tainting the total depth with too much warmth at any given layer.  Any system that achieves that is a snow machine - We used to joke about that but it's legit when you think about it.

Anyway, that's obviously subject to change... just that as is, that's an impressive look.  It's also technically a Red Block btw

I agree with the model specifics.  Just that the look was there.  Even today's op 12z GFS has it.  PNA ridge is too far west so its a warm look but still has the general idea.

37 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

However, as I was saying in the other Mayhem thread a couple hours ago, would the Canadian High, over deep snow cover not create some cold air and low dews to advect in and keep us cold enough?

8 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

However, as I was saying in the other Mayhem thread a couple hours ago, would the Canadian High, over deep snow cover not create some cold air and low dews to advect in and keep us cold enough?

In theory ...yeah.  (actually it's an interesting question re the dew point mathematics).

You know it's funny, no one (or effort that I am aware) has ever put out a formal refereed paper that titled:  "Regional North American snow cover modulating low level thickness effect on evolution of cyclogenesis"    

?

why - it seems it's come up as an operational meteorological aspect on enough occasions. AFD's talk about snow pack drainage, or cold nights/radiative over snow pack then feeding back into CAD...  it's obviously factor-able.  Maybe it's just one of things where everyone knows it is what it is and we move on. 

Anyway, it's true but ...that's also something like that is in that Ekman layer of uncertainty where the models typically can't resolve those type of physical inter-plays so close to the ground.

Archived