Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

1 minute ago, Cold Rain said:

That looks pretty good!  Is that percent of mean measured against the mean for that period or for the entire winter?  I'm assuming it's X% vs the average for 2/1 - 3/6, although I don't know what the average is for that period.

RDU got 5-6" so it's not as big as it looks.  But, 5-6" seems improbable at the moment though.  

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Northern Foothills Snowman said:

Down here too. I was in 10th grade in 78. I do remember the cold and snow.

The meteorologist didn't have the equipment they have today but it seems they were better st forecasting than today. You have to wonder if ther is too much information. 

There was a meteorologist ,Frank Deal and he was pretty good at hitting storms. I remember back then they would forecast a low number then a lot of times the storm would over produce and they would have to up the totals. 

Yes!! Frank Deal was the best!  There will never be anyone as enjoyable for me to watch give a weather forecast than him.  And yes, they used to always up the totals as the storm started.  Man, those were the good old days right there.

Down here too. I was in 10th grade in 78. I do remember the cold and snow.

The meteorologist didn't have the equipment they have today but it seems they were better st forecasting than today. You have to wonder if ther is too much information. 

There was a meteorologist ,Frank Deal and he was pretty good at hitting storms. I remember back then they would forecast a low number then a lot of times the storm would over produce and they would have to up the totals. 

Yeah I know!! I was just being sarcastic because JB had posted it. I remember him well he was my favorite weatherman growing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

But not today, Zurg?! :(

it is always looking so great at 8-12 days!

I don't have detailed EPS maps anymore, which is probably a good thing, because the GEFS looks better at day 8-10.  Bunch of lows down in the gulf and looks plenty cold.  EPS is not as cold though.  And yes, the GEFS is showing a bunch of lows over the lakes as the PV is sitting right over the lakes.

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_us_38.png

gfs-ens_T850a_us_38.png

24 minutes ago, packbacker said:

I don't have detailed EPS maps anymore, which is probably a good thing, because the GEFS looks better at day 8-10.  Bunch of lows down in the gulf and looks plenty cold.  EPS is not as cold though.  And yes, the GEFS is showing a bunch of lows over the lakes as the PV is sitting right over the lakes.

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_us_38.png

gfs-ens_T850a_us_38.png

Is that a SE ridge flare up ?

Well I had about given up (and I felt free, free like a bird)...but after the 15th I've got to say to me, it looks pretty good.  Very blocky, -AO/-NAO and a +PNA mixed in around day 10.  Looks like a split flow here and there too. The cold seems to be coming back to our side of the globe a bit.  Perhaps the SSW and MJO is finally doing some good? 

Maybe the last two weeks of February something could be possible.  But man at this point, it feels like spring already.  I've jumped off the cliff.  But I'm at the bottom glancing up.  Haven't started climbing yet though. 

^^ GFS Ensemble has the nice +PNA and -NAO look that could possibly even trend better/colder in time IMO....however, Euro Ens and Canadian Ens don't agree past day 10 and quickly go into more of a strong el nino look with the north pac low moving into a position off the west coast, so it's a flood of mild flow across the U.S. 

1 minute ago, griteater said:

^^ GFS Ensemble has the nice +PNA and -NAO look that could possibly even trend better/colder in time IMO....however, Euro Ens and Canadian Ens past day 10 quickly go into more of a strong el nino look with the north pac low moving into a position off the west coast, so it's a flood of mild flow across the U.S. 

It's all about the -NAO right now. MJO and PNA are just icing on the cake. If these modeled indices are to be believed, then the 2 meter temps and the storm tracks will respond better in future runs.

4 minutes ago, griteater said:

^^ GFS Ensemble has the nice +PNA and -NAO look that could possibly even trend better/colder in time IMO....however, Euro Ens and Canadian Ens don't agree past day 10 and quickly go into more of a strong el nino look with the north pac low moving into a position off the west coast, so it's a flood of mild flow across the U.S. 

So GFS vs CMC / Euro? Not a good probability if GFS or gefs is only showing this!?

Looking at the indexes, we have, for what seems like the first time this winter, a favorable alignment coming up.  Deeply -AO, neutral to slightly -NAO, and a robust +PNA.  Plus, the MJO is progged by all models to go strongly into Phase 8 before lowering amplitude and heading into Phase 1.  These are all good things.  The not as good news is A) The coldest air has moved over to the other side of the world during this favorable pattern (below), leaving us with marginally cold air.  In mid-Feb, it would be more preferable to have Canada in the icebox.  If the pattern stays aligned this way, then we could see Canada and then the US get very cold, down the line...but it will take time.  And B ) What Grit said.  We need agreement from other model suites if we are to take seriously a sustained change toward a wintry pattern.

ao.sprd2.gif

ECMF_phase_51m_small.gif

gfs-ens_z500_mslp_nhem_41.png

13 minutes ago, griteater said:

Yep, that's the thing to watch...does the EPS come on board with the GEFS past day 10 or no. Again, I've always liked the GEFS long range. We'll see.  

I'm ready for either one frankly.  Something about late Februarys though.  Active for the SE, along with phase MJO and SSW...makes it believable in my mind.  

Archived