• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

Great long range thoughts CR. The problem I have is like you say, we're pretty much doomed until the 384 hr on these models, which is very questionable to say the least if they actually even come true.  That and it takes us to the last week of the month.  I have a personal cut off date of March 1.  Don't know what it is but after meteorological spring starts, it just doesn't work. I just can't stand looking for paste jobs snows that melt 20 minutes later, if it even is cold enough to actually snow. I just lose interest.  That gives me a week window to really score.  

I'm just going to wait till the end of next week and see where we are and hope for some blips.  If not, just got to move on IMO. 

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

I wonder if NYC weenies are worried about ground temps tomorrow?? Maybe the same 2 or 3 people that bring that crap up every time it's gonna snow here, should go post that in the NYC thread!!? I mean, it's almost 60 right now! :(

I think we would all love to be in their situation, but even this storm is following along with the overall "bad" winter. Warm to start off and then quickly warms up after the storm. Where are the winter storms that have at least one week of post cold temps.   

1 hour ago, Cold Rain said:

Thanks guys.  LOL ^ Webber would probably come in and tell me how perfectly wrong I have it!  I like the trends we're seeing way out there.  We just have to hope they hold and don't get pushed out.  I always say that hope doesn't create a SE snowstorm, but it's about all we have left at this point!  And I agree with Falls about the -EPO.  We need it...and we need some blocking to go with it. :(

Great post!  

Painful to look at this, +PNA/-NAO/50-50, deep cut off way down in TX.   To much low pressure, 1025hp won't get it done.  The 1050hp over Greenland needs to be down in Hudson Bay.

gfs_mslpaNorm_namer_26.png

49 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

I wonder if NYC weenies are worried about ground temps tomorrow?? Maybe the same 2 or 3 people that bring that crap up every time it's gonna snow here, should go post that in the NYC thread!!? I mean, it's almost 60 right now! :(

Only the idiots.

3 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

Man those are some weak HPs....this winter is trolling us.  How do you get a perfect pattern with most of the indices in your favor and still strike out?  Here it is. 

2 minutes ago, mrdaddyman said:

We finally get a storm to trend South and there's no cold air to work with:

From the freebie Euro maps it looks like it was a slider too, but much warmer.  Maybe this ends up just gets shunted out to sea harmlessly.  Give us that GFS run with a 1030hp and the typical north trend and you never know I guess.

10 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

Need a better HP source!

You can see the Scandi. ridge is pressing down into Greenland (better NAO), so the 50/50 is a tick further south.  The PNA ridge does start to migrate west too so that kicks the PV that was dropping down into the lakes into a better 50/50 position but progressive flow hard to amplify, which isn't the worst for us.    But, +EPO is a killer here.

gfs_z500a_nhem_fh168_trend.gif

5 minutes ago, packbacker said:

You can see the Scandi. ridge is pressing down into Greenland (better NAO), so the 50/50 is a tick further south.  The PNA ridge does start to migrate west too so that kicks the PV that was dropping down into the lakes into a better 50/50 position but progressive flow hard to amplify, which isn't the worst for us.    But, +EPO is a killer here.

The feed of really cold air into the US has already been severed prior to this, so it's going to be difficult for things to change in such a way to get enough cold air in during the storm to get anything other than a cold rain.  Still plenty of time to watch it, but I'm not sure how we can even crowbar anything in here at this point.

3 minutes ago, mrdaddyman said:

CMC has pretty much the same track . . . with the same results. However, to my untrained eye it looks closer to something than the GFS.

2 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

CMC takes similar track to GFS, but further north, but the northern precip shield is just not their.

CMC is another way it could snow...need a piece of the PV to drop down into the back of the southern ULL.  Wishcasting though.

gem_z500_vort_us_29.png

gem_T850a_us_29.png

Just now, Cold Rain said:

The feed of really cold air into the US has already been severed prior to this, so it's going to be difficult for things to change in such a way to get enough cold air in during the storm to get anything other than a cold rain.  Still plenty of time to watch it, but I'm not sure how we can even crowbar anything in here at this point.

Agree...bleak for us but I will be happy if this turns into a blizzard for the MA/NE.  Be a shame to waste this ULL.

1 hour ago, SnowNiner said:

Great long range thoughts CR. The problem I have is like you say, we're pretty much doomed until the 384 hr on these models, which is very questionable to say the least if they actually even come true.  That and it takes us to the last week of the month.  I have a personal cut off date of March 1.  Don't know what it is but after meteorological spring starts, it just doesn't work. I just can't stand looking for paste jobs snows that melt 20 minutes later, if it even is cold enough to actually snow. I just lose interest.  That gives me a week window to really score.  

I'm just going to wait till the end of next week and see where we are and hope for some blips.  If not, just got to move on IMO. 

I never give up hope before the end of March. My personal cut off date is March 25th. I've seen a lot of March snowstorms here in the Upstate of SC. One of the biggest ones I've ever seen came on March 25th 1971, at least 10 inches in Greenwood, SC. Have seen at least 2 the 1st or 2nd day of Spring of at least 6 inches, and several more during early to mid March, so it's hard for me to give up hope before March is at least half over. But that's just me.

2 minutes ago, tonysc said:

I never give up hope before the end of March. My personal cut off date is March 25th. I've seen a lot of March snowstorms here in the Upstate of SC. One of the biggest ones I've ever seen came on March 25th 1971, at least 10 inches in Greenwood, SC. Have seen at least 2 the 1st or 2nd day of Spring of at least 6 inches, and several more during early to mid March, so it's hard for me to give up hope before March is at least half over. But that's just me.

That's crazy that our cut off dates are so different. My cut off date is Feb 15th. I honestly don't recall seeing any significant snow past Feb 15th since 1993. The latest snowfall I recall since then was in February 2010.

FWIW, The there could be a stronger high to our north with the day 8 system if it played out like GFS depicts.  Looks like the southern system is delayed long enough to move a clipper through the northeast and behind that there's strong confluence up that way. Could trend into a CAD event in that scenario, (not that I'm buying that scenario).

Archived