Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

12 minutes ago, griteater said:

GFS Ens looks the best of the 3...then CMC Ens...then Euro Ens.  Euro Ens still has a strong nino look to it...southern stream, but it's more west to east zonal, so it's cool, not cold...it does retrograde the N Pac low west in time, but it doesn't have the W Canada / AK ridging like the GFS Ens.

Thanks,  hopefully this will be a score for the gefs. Didn't the weeklies on Monday look similar to the gefs?

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

As far as op runs, GFS is slowly trending cooler for the last couple of runs, and Euro slightly as well. Thought I heard one time the GFS has been doing better with pattern recognition , atleast this year, and wasn't it the 1st to move this current storm to the NYC bomb we have today?

We will see Mack, the 'GFS storm' (and Digex) is the only game in town right now

The GEFS still looks good in the LR.  Although I continue to post the 384 image, it arrives at this general look earlier in the run.  The Aleutian low is still present, along with very western robust ridging.  This continues to direct the flow out of the arctic and allows the PV to drop and build into eastern Canada, keeping a general ridge west/trough east pattern in the US.  I also like the trough east of HI.  This should help counteract any tendency for the PNA to drop into negative territory.  Storm threats will depend on timing, as always, but this is not a torchy look.  It should be below average in the SE, if the GEFS is correct.  The GEPS somewhat agrees.  Sounds like the EPS is not onboard.  But you have to like the consistency we've seen in the GEFS over the last week.  Like I said, this isn't a snowstorm pattern, per se, but it does put a lot of the players in our field.  We'll see....

gfs-ens_z500_mslp_nhem_65.png

ao.sprd2.gif

ECMF_phase_51m_small.gif

15 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

The GEFS still looks good in the LR.  Although I continue to post the 384 image, it arrives at this general look earlier in the run.  The Aleutian low is still present, along with very western robust ridging.  This continues to direct the flow out of the arctic and allows the PV to drop and build into eastern Canada, keeping a general ridge west/trough east pattern in the US.  I also like the trough east of HI.  This should help counteract any tendency for the PNA to drop into negative territory.  Storm threats will depend on timing, as always, but this is not a torchy look.  It should be below average in the SE, if the GEFS is correct.  The GEPS somewhat agrees.  Sounds like the EPS is not onboard.  But you have to like the consistency we've seen in the GEFS over the last week.  Like I said, this isn't a snowstorm pattern, per se, but it does put a lot of the players in our field.  We'll see....

gfs-ens_z500_mslp_nhem_65.png

ao.sprd2.gif

ECMF_phase_51m_small.gif

Stylin and profilin'

40 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

81499113.gif

25 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

Lol... great stuff as usual Cr

Thanks man.  And Lol NSFY.

Pack,

I don't follow you...  So phase 7 is warm.  Good deal.  Both models go into phase 8 and eventually into the COD, but the Euro actually takes it into phase 1 before going into the COD.  So it looks like it would present the preferable outcome here between the two models.  I have noticed that the GFS (and even the other models to an extent) often tends to weaken the pulse too quickly, which would make me inclined to lean towards the Euro (which is why I have been posting the Euro MJO plot every day as opposed to the GFS).

Now, going into the COD after being in a cool phase may not be a bad thing.  I remember that Larry presented some stats on that which concluded (if memory serves) the SE did well in the temp department when the MJO was in the COD on the left side.  Now that said, I don't recall if this was independent of ENSO, QBO, Solar Wind, Bovine Wind, bean curds, moose turds or whatever.  And I'm sure if there's a way to screw it up, we'll take that path in a hurry.

Just now, Cold Rain said:

Thanks man.

Pack,

I don't follow you...  So phase 7 is warm.  Good deal.  Both models go into phase 8 and eventually into the COD, but the Euro actually takes it into phase 1 before going into the COD.  So it looks like it would present the preferable outcome here between the two models.  I have noticed that the GFS (and even the other models to an extent) often tends to weaken the pulse too quickly, which would make me inclined to lean towards the Euro (which is why I have been posting the Euro MJO plot every day as opposed to the GFS).

Now, going into the COD after being in a cool phase may not be a bad thing.  I remember that Larry presented some stats on that which concluded (if memory serves) the SE did well in the temp department when the MJO was in the COD on the left side.  Now, I don't recall if this was independent of ENSO, QBO, Solar Wind, Bovine Wind, bean curds, moose turds or whatever.  And I'm sure if there's a way to screw it up, we'll take that path in a hurry.

Well GEFS is showing it looping back into Ph7.  I think your right on Euro being preferable with high amplitude cool phase that dives into COD. 

The GEFS was first to show the high amplitude ph8 and Euro followed.  Doesn't mean it's right here though.  

7 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Well GEFS is showing it looping back into Ph7.  I think your right on Euro being preferable with high amplitude cool phase that dives into COD. 

The GEFS was first to show the high amplitude ph8 and Euro followed.  Doesn't mean it's right here though.  

Ok, I see what you're saying now.  Interesting that the LR GEFS H5 doesn't reflect what you'd expect to see based on its MJO prog, and the LR EPS H5 doesn't reflect what you'd expect to see based on its MJO prog.  Haha!

I looked at all of the other model MJO plots as well.  Here's what I observed:

GFS Camp:  TCWB (whatever that is)

Euro Camp:  CMET, JMAN, EMON (which I think is the Euro suite), and BOMM

The UK doesn't go out far enough to tell.

Anyway, the Euro has more support, but the GFS could very well be right.  We'll see soon enough.

1 minute ago, Cold Rain said:

Low in the Gulf significantly SW of 6z at 162.  HP sliding in a tad quicker and the NE vortex stronger and thus stronger with the cold press.  If the system is not squashed, it will produce some pretty snow maps.  Get ready....

Thinking it will be squashed south, but some nice features...W Canada ridge, 50/50 low, sfc high over Midwest...big wave in TX

I agree, Grit.  Looking like it's going to move too far south.  BUT, there are some really good things about this run.  Stronger NE vortex, in a better position, and a nice western ridge.  It won't take very much to change things for the better.

yeah we can crank the play by play back up with this kind of look....need more 'other model' support

I agree, Grit.  Looking like it's going to move too far south.  BUT, there are some really good things about this run.  Stronger NE vortex, in a better position, and a nice western ridge.  It won't take very much to change things for the better.

Storm moving NW to us is a given. Not worried about suppression. The trick is getting the storm to move NW, without the cold/Vortex ALSO moving NW with it.  That's the bugaboo.  

Archived