Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

2 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Bingo! The last cold snap and " storm" had a few super cold looks like that and they were slightly over done and I sat here with a cold rain, in the 40s

To quote my favorite band since you were on the music train earlier today - "I ain't often right but I've never been wrong" .... Bingo!

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Did JB write that song!?? :)

The lyrics were written by Robert Hunter and the music by Jerry Garcia.

Not a chill to the winter but a nip to the air,
From the other direction she was calling my eye,
Could be an illusion but I might as well try, might as well try.

2 hours ago, The Alchemist said:

Would you guys quit it with the mic drop???   As a sound man, I keep twitching every time I read it...  :blink:

I know. I hope these mics they keep dropping are old, indestructible sm57s or sm58s. Those things will work no matter what happens to them. 

8 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Can some one explain what the mic-dropping meme means?

It's essentially getting the last word by winning the argument in dramatic fashion. (Drops mic walks off the stage. Boom!  Curtains!)

Been a lot of mic dropping but nobody's won this argument yet, which is a curious phenomenon.

10-15 day on the big 3 ensembles from the 12z runs.  It's GEFS vs. GEPS/EPS

n2yikm.gif&key=1c6e0c18aad824dab4e3518ee772975df7d365f885346456014f4a4a9116d6f2

2nuodmu.gif&key=ec52aa697d539dfe4570685a1b81183a62fd607ca6e5c0d6c6a7bc7af4e1bb50

wuigow.gif&key=f480c4d018df3ef91699de6602cad3bcdd8d69859e3ded8b80727e9feb829291

GEFS is going to eat crow here considering the look of the Operational. It's important to use ensembles, but it's also important to realize when ensembles are wrong...and the GEFS is just that. Doing terribly with this transition period, no doubt in my mind it corrects.

B15Scfal.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

It's essentially getting the last word by winning the argument in dramatic fashion. (Drops mic walks off the stage. Boom!  Curtains!)

Been a lot of mic dropping but nobody's won this argument yet, which is a curious phenomenon.

I'm ready for something besides mics and rain, to fall from the sky! FabFeb

10 minutes ago, Jon said:

GEFS is going to eat crow here considering the look of the Operational. It's important to use ensembles, but it's also important to realize when ensembles are wrong...and the GEFS is just that. Doing terribly with this transition period, no doubt in my mind it corrects.

B15Scfal.jpg

We have been in a stout Nina pattern, will have one of the warmest Jans in a long time and we are going to flip to a Nino pattern with a stout +ao/+NAO.  Hmmm....lot of spiking the football on these day 15 ensembles.  

We have been in a stout Nina pattern, will have one of the warmest Jans in a long time and we are going to flip to a Nino pattern with a stout +ao/+NAO.  Hmmm....lot of spiking the football on these day 15 ensembles.  

Uh, you're spiking the same football at day 15 ensembles, of which is the only model showing that warm of a solution. So what's your point?

Sure, we can end up AN and I wouldn't go to Vegas against that prediction, but that doesn't mean we can't have BN and a decent pattern for 4-5 days out of the month. We got a winter storm with a month to date temp anom map looking like this.

BiJv5wgl.jpg

We aren't going to get sustained blocking, everyone knows that. Doesn't mean the pattern at the start of feb doesn't have potential, it's the best look yet, by a long shot. Usually when multiple global ensembles hit on a pattern like this, you can go to the bank with it - or hug the GEFS. To each their own my friend.

1 minute ago, Jon said:

Uh, you're spiking the same football at day 15 ensembles, of which is the only model showing that warm of a solution. So what's your point?

Sure, we can end up AN and I wouldn't go to Vegas against that prediction, but that doesn't mean we can't have BN and a decent pattern for 4-5 days out of the month. We got a winter storm with a month to date temp anom map looking like this.

BiJv5wgl.jpg

We aren't going to get sustained blocking, everyone knows that. Doesn't mean the pattern at the start of feb doesn't have potential, it's the best look yet, by a long shot. Usually when multiple global ensembles hit on a pattern like this, you can go to the bank with it - or hug the GEFS. To each their own my friend.

Great...we agree. At best this is a short window opportunity.   

6 minutes ago, packbacker said:

We've been in a Niña pattern, but the indicies say we've been la nada, since about November and Cali has been getting rain like a Nino and we are about to get a lot of damp rainy weather, so besides the torchiness, the pattern says what indicies!??? So how has the front loaded Niña winter worked out? I think JB touted a back loaded winter in the fall, if so , kudos to him! So we havnt had a lot of cold and dry, like was expected in a Niña ! So basically, why could we not get a Nino like look now, with some blocking?? Not an impossibility

Great...we agree. At best this is a short window opportunity.   

Yep I've said that in a few of my posts, that's this winter's mantra. We got lucky last time, we could or could not get lucky this time, it's all about timing....but the CFS monthly BN teasing is interesting. If it holds til the end of the month that would be nice, but not holding my breath for sustained cold at all.

I just want another huge storm where I can get sleeted all night again by a stout warm nose, is that too much to ask?

Just now, Jon said:

Yep I've said that in a few of my posts, that's this winter's mantra. We got lucky last time, we could or could not get lucky this time, it's all about timing....but the CFS monthly BN teasing is interesting. If it holds til the end of the month that would be nice, but not holding my breath for sustained cold at all.

I just want another huge storm where I can get sleeted all night again by a stout warm nose, is that too much to ask?

Nope, consider it done!

3 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

We've been in a Niña pattern, but the indicies say we've been la nada, since about November and Cali has been getting rain like a Nino and we are about to get a lot of damp rainy weather, so besides the torchiness, the pattern says what indicies!??? So how has the front loaded Niña winter worked out? I think JB touted a back loaded winter in the fall, if so , kudos to him! So we havnt had a lot of cold and dry, like was expected in a Niña ! So basically, why could we not get a Nino like look now, with some blocking?? Not an impossibility

Yeah this may look like a Niña pattern but it's being caused by other factors.  Had we had a moderate La Niña it's entirely possible this winter would have been a disaster for the entire eastern US.  The QBO and the pacific shifting to that PDO regime in the fall coupled with a stronger La Niña would have been really bad 

3 minutes ago, Jon said:

We specialize in warm noses so I would bank on that.  

34 minutes ago, packbacker said:

When your playing with house money and already at seasonal norm, you have the luxury to spike it all day long even if your getting sunburnt in the middle of January.

FWIW--- Mack says nothing!!! lol  From- JB 

GEFS: I Have No Idea Why the Western Trough Day 15

I realize there is a lot of sentiment favoring the GEFS but it makes little sense with its own MJO for one and for two it looks nothing like the Canadian or the Euro Ensembles

Its fascinating to see the debate here. The GEFS does not see the trough in the GOA . IN fact Day 16 it has a huge ridge there! and the trough in the rockies giving ammo to the ideas I am hearing about that there is no change coming...........

It doesnt even make sense with its 10mb! 

Very Strange, The Euro looks like what I believe is going to happen, and at the very least we see the Canadian and Euro in very different modes than the US models

5 minutes ago, BIG FROSTY said:

FWIW--- Mack says nothing!!! lol  From- JB 

GEFS: I Have No Idea Why the Western Trough Day 15

I realize there is a lot of sentiment favoring the GEFS but it makes little sense with its own MJO for one and for two it looks nothing like the Canadian or the Euro Ensembles

Its fascinating to see the debate here. The GEFS does not see the trough in the GOA . IN fact Day 16 it has a huge ridge there! and the trough in the rockies giving ammo to the ideas I am hearing about that there is no change coming...........

It doesnt even make sense with its 10mb! 

Very Strange, The Euro looks like what I believe is going to happen, and at the very least we see the Canadian and Euro in very different modes than the US models

Of course he sees the Euro solution.  The smart money is on the GEFS.  Take the worst solution and double down this winter.  

4 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Of course he sees the Euro solution.  The smart money is on the GEFS.  Take the worst solution and double down this winter.  

I was just passing along info, I could care less who believes it or not?? Just another forecasters opinion NOT a model Interpreter..............

2 hours ago, Timothy Clyde said:

Don't expect me to answer every time I am quoted after I already dropped the mic and closed the lid on my laptop. I said wintry weather is possible second week of February or after but not anytime before then so that gives you 4-5 weeks to not watch the models be wrong.

Good, please keep it closed and don't ever pick up the mic again unless you can show us sound reasoning/illustrations why you think the models are wrong..... Mods, is this really Wilkes with another attempt to infiltrate the board? Oh wait, I almost forgot about the ignore feature...

19 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

When your playing with house money and already at seasonal norm, you have the luxury to spike it all day long even if your getting sunburnt in the middle of January.

It's always great being on the wrong side of a huge bust...but then getting your nose rubbed in it LOL

Archived