joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here comes the squall line,right on schedule.

On Sunday/Day 7, the upper-level trough
   is forecast to move into the central Gulf Coast States as moisture
   advection takes place ahead of the system. A severe weather threat
   will be possible across the eastern Gulf Coast States northward into
   the Carolinas.

EPS shows Aleutian ridge developing and pac low evaporating.  Very +NAO with cold/dry setting up,  big area of LP over the NW atlantic.  Question is what happens with the pattern after this.  Does a new pac low form affirming the pac ridge and maybe it finally hooks over the top shoving the PV towards SE Canada.. 

Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 3.50.44 PM.png

2 minutes ago, packbacker said:

EPS shows Aleutian ridge developing and pac low evaporating.  Very +NAO with cold/dry setting up,  big area of LP over the NW atlantic.  Question is what happens with the pattern after this.  Does a new pac low form affirming the the pac ridge and maybe it finally hooks over the top shoving the PV towards SE Canada.. 

Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 3.50.44 PM.png

That is a cold and dry look. The trough axis is too far east The mountains may get some clipper action out of that, but for us to score big, we need the trough axis along the Mississippi River.

Just now, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

That is a cold and dry look. The trough axis is too far east The mountains may get some clipper action out of that, but for us to score big, we need the trough axis along the Mississippi River.

Its definitely not a snowy look...but for the folks that want snow it's a good first step to get cold first.  Didn't someone on this board say wait until after the 10th...they might be right.  It wasn't me.

37 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Its definitely not a snowy look...but for the folks that want snow it's a good first step to get cold first.  Didn't someone on this board say wait until after the 10th...they might be right.  It wasn't me.

The Clyde model?  :P

7 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

Way too early to worry about cold and dry. Let's change the Pacific back from this western trough disaster then worry about individual s/w.

7 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

Give me a ridge out west and I'd take my chances with the rest. 

Yep I agree fellas. Way too soon to speculate at this time frame.

1 hour ago, packbacker said:

There is always the chance of something cutting in underneath the ridge.  The southern stream obviously hasn't been the Pineapple Express this winter, but you can always get something coming out of there 

18 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

The 18z looked good for the most part but the problem is we are working with a marginal cold airm mass. The cold never really dives down deep. The trough looks look but just not cold enough to my eye. The eps is colder and has been very consistent though.

Sounds familiar to Fishel's blog the other day.  Set is there but no real arctic air to draw on.

From the old bathtub Met- 

GEFS Corrects, But Not Enough, and Here is Why

There has obviously been a big change for the better IMO as far as accuracy in the GEFS from this yesterday...

Lot of text in between I left out but you get the jest of what he's saying! .....When I look at the day 15 Euro, and even though the GEFS is 36 hour later here. I have a tough time believing the euro is going to bust this much on the western ridge and GOA trough

5 minutes ago, BIG FROSTY said:

From the old bathtub Met- 

GEFS Corrects, But Not Enough, and Here is Why

There has obviously been a big change for the better IMO as far as accuracy in the GEFS from this yesterday...

Lot of text in between I left out but you get the jest of what he's saying! .....When I look at the day 15 Euro, and even though the GEFS is 36 hour later here. I have a tough time believing the euro is going to bust this much on the western ridge and GOA trough

Yeah it has been very consistent as I just alluded too. It may not be the best look but it's cold and has been for several runs. It's almost step for step with the weeklies of last week.

4 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

The eps has been much more consistent in my opinion. Got to go with the consistent model.

Good luck with that.  Let's post them up and see who wins....differences are glaring.  EPS is all in with PAC low and +PNA and GEFS goes back to a more nina look with poleward aleutian ridge and neutral PNA.  

IMG_3969.PNG

IMG_3970.PNG

Archived