Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Southeast Sanitarium - A Place to Vent

Jonathan

Just now, packbacker said:

Ummmm....it would be Dec 2000 all over again.  But, RAH is like 30-40 miles from 1" so a SE shift and yes it would suck.  That's something that could change day of the storm.

December 2000 was 1-2 feet across the whole piedmont, all snow. No temp issues. This storm is still only looking like a few inches at best, with some mixing concerns at the beginning. Not a great comparison. Also models are a lot better.

6 minutes ago, WidreMann said:

"The BL Temps Suck Guy" -- LOVE IT!

But seriously, we're gonna fight with them Friday evening. Precip always moves in faster than expected with these set ups, so we're gonna lose some precip to the rain monster.

Yeah if it moves in fast enough, I'd expect some rain to start.  Hopefully, we get enough robust lift for several hours after the BL cools and we pile up some snow for a change.

6 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Yeah if it moves in fast enough, I'd expect some rain to start.  Hopefully, we get enough robust lift for several hours after the BL cools and we pile up some snow for a change.

GEM is 1" QPF for you...sweet!

850's start at -6 and roughly stay there with temps dropping into mid 20's. 

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 11.23.16 PM.png

Thanks for responses. I've mentioned it before, but even in my ignorance, the people who only post negative posts stand out just as much as the people who only post positive ones, and I tend to be more invested in the ones who are clearly taking a more rounded approach. Not that anyone cares what I'm invested in, I'm just always interested in how the cultures of different message board forums work. (Although this is literally the only one I'm on where I have nothing to contribute other than random meta commentary, or "yep no power near Southpoint mall" during Matthew.)

(P.s., mackerel_sky, I particularly like the way you're always cheerful even when it's bad news, and I'm glad the tornado didn't cause you major problems.)

(Oh, and man, meteorology hobby culture is such a crazy mix of science and superstition! It reminds me of the brief time I spent on some vegas gambling forums! I totally understand why it's like that, especially in this area. I've seen the snow shield in action.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, packbacker said:

GEM is 1" QPF for you...sweet!

850's start at -6 and roughly stay there with temps dropping into mid 20's. 

Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 11.23.16 PM.png

Only 46 hrs to go.  What could possibly go wrong?

By the way, QPF is always overdone, temps the day of are always higher, and cold air is always late funneling in.

1 minute ago, Cold Rain said:

Only 46 hrs to go.  What could possibly go wrong?

By the way, QPF is always overdone, temps the day of are always higher, and cold air is always late funneling in.

So we cut that in half, turn more of it into rain, and assume lower ratios. That gives you about 2-3"? Still not bad, I guess.

Just now, Cold Rain said:

Oh, and you just know that Gulf convection is going to play a negative role here.  It will.

In the meantime, it's imperative that the Euro hold serve tonight.  That is a must have.

It won't. It was a jerk at 12z and it'll be a jerk at 00z. It's gonna look like the NAM, I guarantee it.

4 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Oh, and you just know that Gulf convection is going to play a negative role here.  It will.

That's the truth. :lol:  Gulf convection and unmodeled, surprise warm noses are the best!

The storm on the DWD-ICON is sure something, though it looks like a pretty big outlier right now.

I think you're in a decent spot, though.

5 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

How can we tell where the R/S line is on that thing?

http://meteocentre.com/models/explorateur.php?lang=fr&map=na&run=00&mod=dwd_icon&stn=TT850&comp=1&run2=00&mod2=dwd_icon&stn2=TT850&hh2=066&fixhh=1&stn2_type=prog&mode=latest&yyyy=latest&mm=latest&dd=latest&hh=054

Looks like you'd be all-snow in southern Wake on the six-hour 850 mb panels, though you just know there's some warm noses at other layers in there ready to bring the taint. :yikes:

Here is the ICON meteogram for RDU:

bfjsef.png

2 minutes ago, superjames1992 said:

http://meteocentre.com/models/explorateur.php?lang=fr&map=na&run=00&mod=dwd_icon&stn=TT850&comp=1&run2=00&mod2=dwd_icon&stn2=TT850&hh2=066&fixhh=1&stn2_type=prog&mode=latest&yyyy=latest&mm=latest&dd=latest&hh=054

Looks like you'd be all-snow on the six-hour 850 mb panels, though you just know there's some other warm noses in there ready to bring the taint. :yikes:

Thanks.  I'm right on the line on that one.  No thanks.

24 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Stupid cold air! What do you have to do to get a snow event here to start out as snow???? My high temp of 43 and rain coming in around 5 pm ish, sucks! 

In this particular scenario, highly doubt your local tv stations have mentioned it, but rain in your area will help wash away salt/brine and also leave ice underneath the snow pack vs areas further north just seeing snow. Often under-looked and indirectly related to helping increase snow totals on the roadways.