• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jonathan

Southeast Sanitarium - A Place to Vent

37 minutes ago, WarmNose said:

Also with regards to areas like South Dakota getting snow when it's cold. They don't need as much of a cold press to get snow events. They can score with red anomaly maps 

We have to have a strong HP to get the cold this far south that we need for a good snowfall but it is a double-edged sword as we have seen this winter. It's just ridiculously hard for everything to come together here just right for snow. Something usually screws it up.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mrdaddyman said:

We have to have a strong HP to get the cold this far south that we need for a good snowfall but it is a double-edged sword as we have seen this winter. It's just ridiculously hard for everything to come together here just right for snow. Something usually screws it up.

-NAO -NAO -NAO -NAO -NAO

Yes, having a +PNA is wonderful. We need it. It's imperative. Combine that with a -EPO and we can get (and stay) cold as we just seen. -AO? You bet, we need it. -PNA/-AO combination is paramount. But we have seen over and over and over and over again the importance of a -NAO. If we have to rely SOLELY on TIMING a HP moving in tandem with a wave all the way across the nation to score, well, the results speak for themselves. We can score with the +PNA/-AO combo, and we have (DEC 8) but in order to get more of the SE involved, we MUST have a -NAO to slow the flow so we don't HAVE to rely solely on timing. Even if it's just for a few days (and most of the time since 2009, we've only had it for a few days at a time.) we absolutely must have it to score widespread across this forum.

If we have a +PNA/-AO combo, we have about a 10% chance of a widespread, legit winter storm. Give us a -NAO and I'd say that increases the chance to closer to 50%.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WeatherNC said:

He's around, I haven't lost the scent. 

The birds outside in the woods pick me up like I’m Jeepers Creepers. They always give off my position and I think that’s why I never found big foot that one year on the southern slopes of Stone Mountain. Has anyone here seen the new movie? It’s terrible. Could have used more bird action and they never played the theme song?! 

9 hours ago, Cold Rain said:

We haven’t even gotten under a WSW yet. We’re usually good for at least a couple of non-verifying WSWs.  Give it time.  Besides, 70s in winter suck.  Everyone knows this.

By the way, if you haven’t seen Red or Red 2, you’re missing out.  Great movies.

Very true, Helen Miran is awesome and Bruce is a bad a$$

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Red1976Red said:

The birds outside in the woods pick me up like I’m Jeepers Creepers. They always give off my position and I think that’s why I never found big foot that one year on the southern slopes of Stone Mountain. Has anyone here seen the new movie? It’s terrible. Could have used more bird action and they never played the theme song?! 

lol, not sure it's the birds man.

Tippy Hedron disagrees with having more bird action.

5 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

As soon as we hit 50s next Sunday , have rain the next 5 days in a row! Winner winter continues

Good. The water level in my pond needs a bit of a boost 

21 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

So we have 3 chances of snow next week possibly: clipper, coastal storm, frontal passage. No, no, sprinkles, is how those will work for upstate. :(

actual southern slider next Fri/Sat= rain! So I wouldn't get excited if I lived in the CLT to GSP corridor !

Warm rain isn't exciting?  I think it's great.  got some nice 60F showers today.  Will have to cut the AC on tonight.

You guys (GSP to CLT to GSO) always rock Feb...it's coming.

• Sad 1

I just got an email that said I renewed my gold subscription for $25.  It appears to have auto-renewed.  But I don't recall leaving a credit card on file.  Plus, I know the CC I previolsly has been canceled and replaced.  @Wow  How did it auto-renew to a bad credit card number?  Plus, don't I have to approve it in case I didn't want to renew?

I'll take member 31 and call it a decade. Upstate gets crushed while Raleigh gets another light dusting

not even sure how a model can come to this solution. I bet there are zero historical snow maps that look like this. 

image.png

29 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

I just got an email that said I renewed my gold subscription for $25.  It appears to have auto-renewed.  But I don't recall leaving a credit card on file.  Plus, I know the CC I previolsly has been canceled and replaced.  @Wow  How did it auto-renew to a bad credit card number?  Plus, don't I have to approve it in case I didn't want to renew?

Brick hacked your account ! 

NM, he doesn't need the models ! He just uses the ole " Carolina crusher came after a warm up, next week is looking good"! :(

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, WarmNose said:

I'll take member 31 and call it a decade. Upstate gets crushed while Raleigh gets another light dusting

not even sure how a model can come to this solution. I bet there are zero historical snow maps that look like this. 

image.png

That would be wonderful , but I've never seen a big snowstorm for GSP have that kind of trajectory

Just now, mackerel_sky said:

That would be wonderful , but I've never seen a big snowstorm for GSP have that kind of trajectory

Looks like a once in a 1,000 year Leeside trough paste bomb. I'll take it 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tramadoc said:
3 hours ago, southernskimmer said:
When the Sahara desert gets a foot of snow more recently than you 

You realize that picture is dated January 2017, right?

I did not realize that, however, my original statement is still true :) 

• Like 1