joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec. 4th Snow Event

Chicago Storm

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to see the system overachieve in a large area.  

Last band of heavier snow moving through right now.  Temp has risen to 33, and the snow has begun to compact some.  Looks like the final total will be very close to 9".  Will take last measurement in an hour or so when it's over.

EDIT:  I'd have to look, but I'm pretty sure this is the biggest snowfall I've ever seen with a dominant southerly wind component the whole event.

10 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

This is about as good as it gets for a cake job.  Hardly any wind and absolutely nothing has blown off the trees and power lines. Though air temp is hovering fractions of a degree above freezing, the elevated objects are likely a tad colder.

Only problem with no wind is that my dish is covered in snow, so no football 

35 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Snow has shut off.  Final total 9.5".  That's about 5-6" more than I figured we'd get based on around 0.4" precip, and LSRs <10:1.  Hell of a way to kick off the season.  

Impressive... Hoping the snow doesn't surprise me in my neck of the woods like this.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Will get a total later but I'm probably around 4" now.  Even 1 degree colder would've made a noticeable difference I think.

What  was your high of the day?? Our forecasted low is 33°F and I'm starting to wonder if I should sleep with one eye open this evening.

3 minutes ago, DAFF said:

What  was your high of the day?? Our forecasted low is 33°F and I'm starting to wonder if I should sleep with one eye open this evening.

34 briefly before the snow moved in.  Was wobbling around either side of 32.5 for the bulk of the snow.

Archived