Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem!

SR Airglow

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Merry Christmas to all.

Santa delivered a squall around 4-5am that whitened things up with a couple tenths...made for a slick drive up the road to work this morning.  High winds with the CAA and tons of blowing snow from that little dusting.  Had to stop once in the middle of the road and let the wind-blown whiteout pass.

Model games continue...threading the needle and toeing the line it seems for the foreseeable future.

5 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Pretty much.  Payback's a b**ch.  :)

lol save that for when some actual snowstorms start hitting. 

Its always gotta be NNE vs. SNE like its so cut and dry.  This just strikes me as climo in general...folks just aren't used to climo after the past like 4 winters.

As the seasonal baroclinic zone slides south in the means it'll start getting more wintry in the south...then as it slides back north later in winter, so does the snow.  That's sort of how I look at climo winter around here.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Its always gotta be NNE vs. SNE like its so cut and dry.  This just strikes me as climo in general...folks just aren't used to climo after the past like 4 winters.

As the seasonal baroclinic zone slides south in the means it'll start getting more wintry in the south...then as it slides back north later in winter, so does the snow.  That's sort of how I look at climo winter around here.

Most stuff gets snow into SNE Thursday. Why are some upset?

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

100% agree.  This area managed to get lucky in a series of over-performers.  Hopefully we'll have some events that look great in the lead up and then out-peform for some nice piles.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Euro and eps are more for GC and NNE, but the GFS is also stubborn for a fropa. Probably a compromise. 

At this point in time, I'm figuring I'll do better here in GC than in Maine.  In the end, I'm not anticipating this being much of note and in the end, I can be at either and not feel I'm missing much.

At this point looking at what Mike just posted and what wpc is showing, I figure we have about 3 to 6 inch snowfall up here on Thursday and Thursday night. That's just fine and consistent with what has been happening this season so far. Hopefully a shake up in the pattern will bring us chances for bigger storms every once in a while 

Flow still looks stubbornly zonal this AM looking at modeling.  Signal around New Years is stil there but even that looks muted somewhat and more for interior when a couple days ago it looked more like  a coastal storm impacting most.  See what transpires over the next few days but to my eyes I'd still lean towards the interior doing better with the patten.

To the extent that there is such a thing as a "" normal winter that is what this one feels like. Large snowstorms happening frequently is not normal but we've gotten a lot of them lately. What is probably normal is a north to south progression of small to moderate snowstorms and then two or three large ones affecting the region across the winter.  

4 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

To the extent that there is such a thing as a "" normal winter that is what this one feels like. Large snowstorms happening frequently is not normal but we've gotten a lot of them lately. What is probably normal is a north to south progression of small to moderate snowstorms and then two or three large ones affecting the region across the winter.  I 

A secsless winter.  Time for a divorce.

2 hours ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Perhaps a SNE winter towards the end of January and into February and March.

I'd take that scenario and run to the bank, but what are the odds of that scenario playing out? For well over a year the pattern(s) has delivered above normal temps and below normal precip. to much of the eastern part of the US. We are going to need some major changes to take place.  

Archived