Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2016-2017 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Hoosier

8 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

This.  Kind of waiting for that to happen yet again, but like you said, one of these times...

If we're destined to have the cutter, then I'm going all the way and hoping for some good thunder/severe prospects.   Looking at the GFS, you probably wouldn't need much more of a bump in temps/dews to bring some severe threat pretty far north with those dynamics.

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

If we're destined to have the cutter, then I'm going all the way and hoping for some good thunder/severe prospects.   Looking at the GFS, you probably wouldn't need much more of a bump in temps/dews to bring some severe threat pretty far north with those dynamics.

Agreed.  All or nothing lol.  Honestly such a transition from the arctic air we've had, to a warm thundery threat would be pretty sweet.  The Euro from last night showed a nice elevated convection look along the WAA wing from Iowa eastward on xmas day.  Something like mid 30s with hailers, and then vaulted to near 60 that night.  Would be a pretty interesting scenario.

6 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Yep, I am in the same boat. If we are going this way go all the way. The prospect of severe weather with this one is pretty good too. The thing that I find very interesting thus far, even with all this cold weather, the gulf hasn't been blasted with cold air. It is still a nice simmering pot out there, just waiting to be tapped.

That cutoff low that ejects out ahead of the big trough (as it's currently progged) sort of helps to kick start the moisture return northward.  Coming out of the cold/dry airmass we're in, that would be an important detail in trying to get a severe threat to materialize at a climatologically unfavorable time/location.  

Still, let's wait and see if these runs hold this look for the next few days. 

20 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

If you take the models verbatim it will be a white Christmas with pouring rain here. Luckily 6 days out and luckily even the worst case we still have snowcover for christmas Eve and day.

Wow...if 12z euro is correct record high temps for many on boxing day.   Has us here in Central Ohio in mid 60's!

28 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Another very impressive cold front associated with this storm.  New EC shows a muggy 62 at Ottumwa, while at the same time Sioux City is shivering at 16 on Christmas night.  

Close to 60 in Chicago at 12z on the 26th...would be a record high for the day lol

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

I had my roof ripped off and caused $11,000 in damage in November. I know the weather will do what it's going to do regardless, but I'll pass.

There may be some small hope yet for the IA, MN, WI and western UP crowd regarding the Christmas storm. It looks like the GFS and European ensemble means run the surface low through the far southeastern corner of MN and then up towards MQT. So there must be some more southern solutions in the lot. The ops (Euro in particular) are pretty far NW of that track. 

29 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

07/08 had some extremes and we bounced back over and over.. The timing is just unfortunate and what I was worried about at the beginning of this nice stretch that we would have a relaxation just in time to Grinch us at the worst time for outdoor enthusiast.

The Dec 26th through Jan 1st period is the most important week of the year for winter spending. 

1 hour ago, Willh said:

Honestly, I'm going to bet my life that the end result here leads this thru a line south of Rochester - The Soo.

I will kill myself if I'm not 100% right.

Ummm.....Not the best of topics to joke around about honestly.

I hope the ensemble means are correct. The GFS is just getting worse with each run.

5 minutes ago, ConfusedKitten said:

18z has it bombing to 978 over Minnesota :o I'm pretty pissed that the GFS is getting consistent with this thing, I was planning a ski trip for the 26th.

Not sure I would say that the GFS is getting consistent. Just yesterday it had the low tracking through the very SE of MN and now it is cutting it right up through the middle of MN. Still plenty of time for it to do what it should and come back south and east.

MPX still likes the ensembles for now in their afternoon discussion if that means anything.

Just now, Roon said:

Not sure I would say that the GFS is getting consistent. Just yesterday it had the low tracking through the very SE of MN and now it is cutting it right up through the middle of MN. Still plenty of time for it to do what it should and come back south and east.

I definitely don't like the way it's trending but you're right it's still a week out.

47 minutes ago, Roon said:

MPX still likes the ensembles for now in their afternoon discussion if that means anything.

Over a day ago now, the GFS was saying the low would be in OK and AR, with snow in Oklahoma City. Now the snow is north of Minneapolis! That's pretty much a huge spread of possible low-pressure and snow-swath solutions in 6 runs (00z Sunday to 12z Monday).

31 minutes ago, Chinook said:

Over a day ago now, the GFS was saying the low would be in OK and AR, with snow in Oklahoma City. Now the snow is north of Minneapolis! That's pretty much a huge spread of possible low-pressure and snow-swath solutions in 6 runs (00z Sunday to 12z Monday).

The thing I take from this is the likely hood of a Christmas storm is increasing with each run. While it might not be the best scenario for an individuals back yard with the runs of today, tomorrow will more than likely be different once again... Its been a great start to the winter season and a melt down is to be expected so early in the season. It reminds me of the winter a few years ago with lots of snow heading into Christmas which turned out to be brown.... To the record winter breaking season it was.

4 hours ago, Roon said:

With the teleconnections in place, it's not going to trend south/east. 

Archived