• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
0z Models 12/22/10

Theres an awful lot of confluence still over the east. I dont care how strong that s/w is, it cant amplify in the face of that. That atlantic low has gotta move outta the way quick to allow room for a storm on the east coast.

this/\...it's absolutely ripping over ohio points north and east....you can already see a flatter ridge in front

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, back to analysis. Looking at the 66hr Nam it's hard to see how the hieghts can build ahead of the developing trough because of the northwest flow over the northeast on this run of the nam.

you have a point...focusing on the sw in the stj and the ridge out west everything looks better and very identical to the euro, but then you look ahead at that freaking ginormous vortex and it just looks like it would squash anything coming east. It still has time to slide east in the next few frames....they do have a tendency to move out just in time often.

Thanks, back to analysis. Looking at the 66hr Nam it's hard to see how the hieghts can build ahead of the developing trough because of the northwest flow over the northeast on this run of the nam.

comparing the 12z euro at hr 84 to the 0z nam at hr 72, the hgt line are almost identical or pretty close on the east coast fwiw

Definitely 6 hours slower, but the NE storm is 6 hours behind too. It's the same distance between the two and the same strength.

But that's what allows the phasing piece of northern energy to dive further west....and holds up the s/w & ridge. Yes, the cyclops needs to move eventually, but I believe a stronger LP will assist us with a stronger storm in the end.

Theres an awful lot of confluence still over the east. I dont care how strong that s/w is, it cant amplify in the face of that. That atlantic low has gotta move outta the way quick to allow room for a storm on the east coast.

What is it with these huge Atlantic lows and confluence everytime we have a promising scenario? It seems as if there is always something to worry about.

It does and if I were on the show today that would be one of my main talking points. The heights are lower at 72 than the 18Z run. that's gonna make it hard.

Tombo is right though...if you compare the NAM to the Euro the heights over the northeast are the same. The euro just moves the vortex out of the way just in time I guess. But so far the NAM looks identical to the euro in that respect.

The s/w coming through IA (on this run) at 78 hours is much slower. All good things. That feature seems to be one of the bigger sticking points with the models.

Not all good things, at 84 hours there isn't even an 850 low over ar and the winds are still northerly with cold advection over dc. This run of the nam would be a dead duck.

Well I will say this. Its good that the NAM and Euro look similar, and by looping through hr 78, you can see that the confluence is quickly relaxing as the northern stream energy is diving into the south. It would be close I would think but there is just no way to tell what would happen in the next 24 hrs after it. Such subtle differences have huge impacts on overall amplification of the trough along the east coast.

How can we say the vortex is a problem at this juncture when it looks identical to the Euro so far? Let's not extrapolate the NAM too much.

though the nam hs trended towards the euro, i think there are subtle differences over the great lakes at 500 and over new england where there is a little more of trough hanging back so I guess we'll disagree. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Archived