Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
0z Models 12/22/10

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone comment on why this is slowing every run?

As I understand it.. all of the information that comes in from over the pacific is derived by satellite. So even if that is off by 25 kts then can be faster/slower. Once it gets over the CONUS then we have weather balloons which gives us actual observational numbers.

As I understand it.. all of the information that comes in from over the pacific is derived by satellite. So even if that is off by 25 kts then can be faster/slower. Once it gets over the CONUS then we have weather balloons which gives us actual observational numbers.

There are other obs over the ocean, ship, buoy, aircraft. A majority of it is satellite though.

The southern stream is a little strong and slower but that may be tempered by the vortex from Hades extending farther to the southwest this run which is liable to again make it hard to get any warm advection going as the system moves east. I'll probably stay thru the nam and quit as I'm fighting a sinus infection and don;t have as much energy as normal.

Getting better soon Wes.

Lets put the 500 chart under the microscope for a moment. If you take a look at the 18z NAM at hour 54, you will notice the 582 contour is placed in the central Gulf of Mexico, with the center of the ridge situated between the western tip of Cuba and the Yucatan Peninsula. The s/w over the southwest United States appears to have a slight positive tilt as well. Fast forward to the 00z NAM at hour 42 and we see the ridge now centered over the northern tip of the Yucatan Peninsula, which helps to bolster the 582 contour to the Gulf Coast. This also slows down the s/w across the Four Corners region. A gif of the two timestamps is provided below

e54a3a1ad15bc1dae0b3b455db0ff605.gifmake an animated gif

at 60 hrs the ridge out west is slightly west and much better. I like the overall h5 look across the CONUS, the vortex over the atl is slightly stronger but I think the setup of the STJ and the ridge out west outweighs that at this point. Those usually tend to get out of the way. I seem to remember last winter worrying about the PV squashing storms a few times and they always seemed to get out of the way in time.

Archived