• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Matthew

NWNC2015

I just looked at the Oak island Cam..  Fortified Dunes ARE Breached,,,  Over wash & Flooding are Occurring, these are the South Facing Beachs..

Cam is Located @ Yupon Pier, (Oak Island Pier)...  Remember High Tide is Hours away still... I think High Tide is at 2:30PM for the South Facing Beaches, down that way..

Streets are starting to get Flooded Here in Wilmington Beach, (Carolina Beach).. Canal Drive, & Lake Park BLvd. is underwater.. (Near the Boardwalk & the Marina Harbor..)

Police Dept are *advising*, we'll telling Us to stay in Our homes, and Not to go out Rubber necking..  XD

Again High Tide for Us is at 1:20PM...

oib.JPG

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Jet Stream Rider said:

Rain! I'm getting a bit of a dry slot at the moment. Not completely dry as its drizzling, no doubt it will back to pouring soon. Amazingly I do not think we've had an official landfall with the center of circulation over land.

Just finished a 20 mile run with a group of friends through the Double R and the intermittent showers were nice....  I think ours is coming, the crazy 13km GFS actually showed us in the bullseye earlier, I don't buy that amount 

4 minutes ago, Isopycnic said:

Flash flood warning for wake, Johnson and Durham added until around 4:30pm

Yup just got the alert.

Seems there is a bit more interaction with the trough than the models were showing a day or two ago.  Rain extends all the way up the eastern seaboard.

2 minutes ago, sctvman said:

I fell asleep before the power went out. Major winds here on James Island. Heavy winds near hurricane force.

Probably the worst of the surge in that area right about now, the north wind going to shove all the water south and pile it up on your side of the river.....and its pretty wide there, I imagine Pawleys Island up to Myrtle and ILM are getting smacked around good right now. 

2 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Probably the worst of the surge in that area right about now, the north wind going to shove all the water south and pile it up on your side of the river.....and its pretty wide there, I imagine Pawleys Island up to Myrtle and ILM are getting smacked around good right now. 

Wind(s) got low for about 15minutes... Now, it's started to pick back up with a vengeance.. Not a lot of rain ATM, just TS Force winds & higher gust's, coming from the WSW.. Pressure Falling, currently 999.66 hPa,  

Radar has trouble correctly depicting the rainfall as well in these setups, it might show lower DBZ over you while its absolutely dumping....we really need to upper Tar River basin to not get 5-8" or more.....if anything the numbers there are trending up.....and the rain is heavier farther NW than they thought it would get yesterday....

LOL at the NAM kicking us while we are down

161009/2000Z  38  35021KT  56.9F    DZ    0:1| 0.0|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.009    0:1|  0.0|| 0.00|| 0.00||15.32    0|  0|100

4 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Local news is showing at MYR, the current tide (halfway between low and high) is about 2 feet higher than normal high tide and is past the dunes.  

Also, damage in North Myrtle Beach from what probably had to be a tornado.  At least one home trashed and debris all over the neighborhood.  

Winds in this part of the state peaked around 6:00 am.  Enough that I got pretty bad roof damage.  They've been calm on and off for the last couple hours.  I would imagine the peak has been 15 mph over that time.  

Just now, Hugo said:

Local news is showing at MYR, the current tide (halfway between low and high) is about 2 feet higher than normal high tide and is past the dunes.  

Also, damage in North Myrtle Beach from what probably had to be a tornado.  At least one home trashed and debris all over the neighborhood.  

Winds in this part of the state peaked around 6:00 am.  Enough that I got pretty bad roof damage.  They've been calm on and off for the last couple hours.  I would imagine the peak has been 15 mph over that time.  

Beware this....from ILM 

"For several days the GFS model has been indicating as the center of Matthew passes south of Cape Fear, rain-cooled air across interior North Carolina would get pulled south behind the storm. As lapse rates steepen in the lowest 1500-2000 feet of the atmosphere, winds of 60-80 mph may get transported down through this mixed layer to the surface. For many locations north of Myrtle Beach this may be the strongest winds we see from the entire event, and could pose quite a shock as the system will seem to be on its way out to sea by then."

You may be in store for another 3-4 hr period of strong downburst type winds if this happens, I guess its pretty much looking like the western edge of the rain shield could "wake low"...

26 minutes ago, SENC said:

I just looked at the Oak island Cam..  Fortified Dunes ARE Breached,,,  Over wash & Flooding are Occurring, these are the South Facing Beachs..

Cam is Located @ Yupon Pier, (Oak Island Pier)...  Remember High Tide is Hours away still... I think High Tide is at 2:30PM for the South Facing Beaches, down that way..

Streets are starting to get Flooded Here in Wilmington Beach, (Carolina Beach).. Canal Drive, & Lake Park BLvd. is underwater.. (Near the Boardwalk & the Marina Harbor..)

Police Dept are *advising*, we'll telling Us to stay in Our homes, and Not to go out Rubber necking..  XD

Again High Tide for Us is at 1:20PM...

oib.JPG

Link?

Check this out this is 10 M wind gust from the HWRF and its valid for 6-9 PM tonight....Hugo and you SC folks might have to deal with round two as the dry air mixes into the huge heavy rain shield as the storm moves out....large area that is going to get a ton of rain looking at winds 50-70 mph could be extreme tree downage and power outages as a result....its a crappy image thats as big as I can get it will try to find a better link to it....but everything in the white and up is better than 55 knts, blues are hurricane force....

wind gust.PNG

6 minutes ago, SENC said:

Thought I'd post this VERY interesting Tidbit & Story....

Couple staying 34 miles off the coast at Frying Pan Tower

Story can be found here at this Link.. (video).....

http://www.wect.com/clip/12793740/couple-staying-34-miles-off-the-coast-at-frying-pan-tower

(Video only. Doesn't anyone write actual news articles anymore?)

21 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Yup just got the alert.

Seems there is a bit more interaction with the trough than the models were showing a day or two ago.  Rain extends all the way up the eastern seaboard.

Almost wonder if the heaviest axis will end up west of model depiction but I guess all that will eventually pivot through?  There certainly is a ton of rain NW of Matthew, flood warnings popping off everywhere....  really does remind one of Floyd a little bit

2 minutes ago, Jon said:

Link?

You can see that cam here--> http://www.surfchex.com/ocean-isle-beach-web-cam.php

Those interested for the Frying Pan Tower Cam, a Couple is currently staying there Riding this out! (see the Story I posted above)..

here is the Link to the Frying pan Tower, 34 miles off the Cape Fear River..

http://explore.org/live-cams/player/frying-pan-cam

11 minutes ago, SENC said:

Wind(s) got low for about 15minutes... Now, it's started to pick back up with a vengeance.. Not a lot of rain ATM, just TS Force winds & higher gust's, coming from the WSW.. Pressure Falling, currently 999.66 hPa,  

Yeah, it was eerily quiet for about 15-30 mins. Now it's coming down hard (I am just over the bridge). 

Snows Cut bridge hasn't closed yet, but according to WECT, that may happen soon. Sustained winds of 40mph, and they'll close at or over 45mph 

3 minutes ago, SENC said:

You can see that cam here--> http://www.surfchex.com/ocean-isle-beach-web-cam.php

Those interested for the Frying Pan Tower Cam, a Couple is currently staying there Riding this out! (see the Story I posted above)..

here is the Link to the Frying pan Tower, 34 miles off the Cape Fear River..

http://explore.org/live-cams/player/frying-pan-cam

Thanks! Seems like first link is down...getting an access denied error.

4 minutes ago, OpAck said:

Yeah, it was eerily quiet for about 15-30 mins. Now it's coming down hard (I am just over the bridge). 

Snows Cut bridge hasn't closed yet, but according to WECT, that may happen soon. Sustained winds of 40mph, and they'll close at or over 45mph 

Closing in the next hour or 2....  From the Scuttlebutt I'm hearing.. Giving Folks a Chance to leave the Island... 

37 minutes ago, metwannabe said:

Just finished a 20 mile run with a group of friends through the Double R and the intermittent showers were nice....  I think ours is coming, the crazy 13km GFS actually showed us in the bullseye earlier, I don't buy that amount 

Agree. Still figure 5 inches plus. Sure hope we don't get a foot! Thats a heck of a run. I like to road cycle out west of town, Thelma Road area.

Archived