Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Matthew

NWNC2015

Just now, ncskywarn said:

I just looked at the National Weather Service ILM weather page they haven't come out with a list of counties under  the new warnings yet but I'm sure they will shortly.  But that but that would be your best bet to get the county breakdown once they're updated.

Thanks skywarn. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Summey said:

i'm seeing that as 65-85

Either way, it's gonna bring down trees around here. We got 11.37" of rain from Hermine at my house. There were other spots locally that saw upwards of 14" from that. Water levels have receeded, but they remain very high and the ground is saturated still. Add to that the .79" we got yesterday and what is coming, it's not going to take much to topple trees. I'm at 38.08" of rain at my house since June 1 (and 21.47" in September). I'm waiting to see if my kids evolve into having gills after this weekend.

5 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Looking back at models from yesterdays runs...they were to slow.  Maybe because Matt is weaker.  GFS is continuing that theme being a little quicker through 24.  Looks to be very close to landfall at 24 at CHS.

looks almost identical to 06Z so far at 500mb so it should turn right over ILM, exactly when and where that happens will have a huge impact on what kind of storm NC has on the inland....beaches are gonna take a decent thump...

From ILM NWS office....

WE NOTICED WITH HURRICANE HERMINE LAST MONTH THAT THE STRONGEST 
WINDS OF THAT EVENT OCCURRED ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE STORM WITHIN A 
REGION WHERE HEAVY RAIN FELL INTO DRIER AIR, CAUSING EVAPORATIONAL 
COOLING AND A SUBSEQUENT STEEP LOW-LEVEL LAPSE RATES TO DEVELOP. THE 
SAME TYPE OF EVENT COULD OCCUR SATURDAY NIGHT ON THE BACKSIDE OF 
MATTHEW AS DRIER AIR BECOMES ENTRAINED BENEATH THE WESTERN PERIPHERY 
OF THE HEAVY RAIN SHIELD. 00Z GFS SOUNDINGS VALID OVER FLORENCE AND 
MYRTLE BEACH SHOW STEEP LAPSE RATES DEVELOPING FROM THE SURFACE UP 
TO ABOUT 1500 FEET AGL SATURDAY EVENING, WITH WINDS OF 60-75 MPH 
GETTING DUMPED DOWN INTO THIS MIXED LAYER FROM ALOFT. THIS KIND OF 
DETAIL IS NOT CURRENTLY IN OUR FORECASTS, BUT I WOULD NOT BE 
SURPRISED AT ALL TO SEE A REGION OF EXCEPTIONALLY STRONG NORTHERLY 
WINDS DEVELOP SATURDAY EVENING BEHIND MATTHEW. THIS SAME REGION OF 
STRONG NORTHERLY WINDS MIGHT ARRIVE IN WILMINGTON AFTER MIDNIGHT.

We gusted 50-55 here with Hermine and it was a weak TS....this is the 850 map its pretty similar on all the models. IF the above happens and we can mix these winds down after having 5-10" of rain it could be pretty bad on trees and stuff...this isnt for sure but if the soundings are right its certainly possible over most of inland NC and SC....

gfs_mslp_uv850_14L_8.png

Keep in mind...these notes.

First that was a great bit of information from ILM regarding Hermine.  Matthew could easily experience this same kind of transition.Two, it looks quite likely that Matthew will be an exceptionally prolonged event in SC/lower SE NC. Details have been discussed already with numerous posts and no need to rehash.

Three..this is the first DIRECT effect of a hurricane on the GA coast since David in 1979! 

3 minutes ago, Stormsfury said:

Keep in mind...these notes.

First that was a great bit of information from ILM regarding Hermine.  Matthew could easily experience this same kind of transition.Two, it looks quite likely that Matthew will be an exceptionally prolonged event in SC/lower SE NC. Details have been discussed already with numerous posts and no need to rehash.

Three..this is the first DIRECT effect of a hurricane on the GA coast since David in 1979! 

I am thinking the east turn will be less sharp especially if he speeds up some,  there really isnt anything that should cause that sudden of a turn I can see....I think the chances the center gets close to onshore near Charleston are pretty damn high now.....same with the center riding the SC coast north like he is doing to Florid, but I am starting to worry its gonna then comes in around SC/NC border and ride just inland in NC.....IF IF IF he can break north soon and cut up 100-150 miles east of GA the western side will have time to get its act together again and Charleston will have that right offshore by noon tomorrow and that will be the worst hit there in a long while....if it hugs the coast though Charleston lucks out...I struggle to find any winds even gusting to cane strength in Florida even on the coast, most places are looking at 50-70 tops so far...

Finally have a TS warning for MBY now.....big changes from yesterday when the center was suppose to stay 250-300 miles south of me....

5 minutes ago, frazdaddy said:

How far are you from the Tar river?

around 3/4 mile or so.....but I am on the high side water didnt get even close to here in Floyd and 17-18 ft doesnt really get anyones home around here.....its gotta go 20+ to really mess stuff up....24ft+ and its a huge problem....that crest there would be good enough for #6 all time though 

Archived