Newest Member
    joxey
2016-2017 Autumn/Winter Banter, Whining, Complaining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Well, overall the sub must be doing a bit better than at this time last year.  This time last year the complaint thread was up to page 18, with over 500 posts.  We're only at page 4/120 posts so far this season.  

True, and a majority of the posts here are not complaints, just banter. It would even be a shorter thread if it were not for yours truly whining and bitching.

On 12/15/2016 at 0:10 PM, buckeye said:

Merrry Christmas from the fine folks at GGEM! :grinch:

xmas.JPG

On 12/15/2016 at 6:29 PM, Jonger said:

No chance of that. The GFS and Euro have a milder pattern, but subtract about 15 degrees from all that.

A little Christmas morning bump trolling fun. Maybe 18 or so hours off, but.....

Showers, mainly between 7am and 1pm. High near 60.

Jon, you should know by now something that I learned a long time ago and that's 'never say never with weather'.

30 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

A little Christmas morning bump trolling fun. Maybe 18 or so hours off, but.....

Jon, you should know by now something that I learned a long time ago and that's 'never say never with weather'.

:lol:

Merry Christmas to everyone!  I wish we were all getting a blizzard.

14 hours ago, IWXwx said:

That has upper 40s in spots that will be in the upper 30s. It nailed the general idea, but it was a big too overdone in the northern areas. That map has Hearst Ontario at 48F, they're going to peak at 31F on Monday.

9 hours ago, Jonger said:

That has upper 40s in spots that will be in the upper 30s. It nailed the general idea, but it was a big too overdone in the northern areas. That map has Hearst Ontario at 48F, they're going to peak at 31F on Monday.

You're right in that it nailed the general idea. Not bad for 240 out. You may also be right about the warmth not getting as far north as depicted. However it UNDERforecast temps down here.

35 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Even though many of us got what we didn't want with this storm system, it was pretty nice to see a storm not turn into a strung out POS like a few of them have recently.  That's one positive out of this grinch of a storm anyway, lol.

True.  Hopefully we don't return to strung out when the setups are more favorable for the region.

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Even though many of us got what we didn't want with this storm system, it was pretty nice to see a storm not turn into a strung out POS like a few of them have recently.  That's one positive out of this grinch of a storm anyway, lol.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

True.  Hopefully we don't return to strung out when the setups are more favorable for the region.

Agreed!

Ugh, the monday-tuesday storm coming up looks like a hot mess. Such a waste of a normally good storm track for around here. The Grinch storm melted 80% of my snowpack, then trolled me hard when the cold front came through with some nice wind gusts by knocking my power out for 12hrs from a stupid dead tree falling on the power lines. Now this ugly monday / tuesday storm is going to rain again and finish off whats left of my snowpack just to let me see frozen brown grass for a week+ after. At least I have had 24.5" of snowfall for the season though, which is already like 55% of my usual seasonal total. :D

2 hours ago, smoof said:

Ugh, the monday-tuesday storm coming up looks like a hot mess. Such a waste of a normally good storm track for around here. The Grinch storm melted 80% of my snowpack, then trolled me hard when the cold front came through with some nice wind gusts by knocking my power out for 12hrs from a stupid dead tree falling on the power lines. Now this ugly monday / tuesday storm is going to rain again and finish off whats left of my snowpack just to let me see frozen brown grass for a week+ after. At least I have had 24.5" of snowfall for the season though, which is already like 55% of my usual seasonal total. :D

I'd rather have suppression with clippers. Much safer setup.

5 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

On my bucket list to see insane snow rates like that. Highest I have seen was under a super bowl Sunday thunder snow event in the late 2000's. 

That was a great event.

Think the highest snow rate/intensity I've ever seen was during the squall for the ages that happened back in Feb 2003.  Squall line of heavy snow with 50-60mph winds that even triggered a warning southeast of us.  Only lasted a few mins, but was just insane.  

Heaviest rates over the period of an hour would probably be the GHDI storm.  Had legit 3"/hr rates for a few hours during the mid evening.  If the wind wasn't blowing so hard and shattering the dendrites the rate may have been even higher.  

I wonder if anyone in Indiana and Ohio has a recollection of Feb. 24th, 1990.    Surprise snow squall that stranded many motorists across central and northern IN, OH into PA.  General 4-8" of snow in a very short period of time.    I-71 between Columbus and Cleveland became a parking lot with people abandoning their cars to walk to off ramp motels.

That was the heaviest snowfall rate I ever witnessed.  Came in right after sunset like a wall with virtually no fanfare.

I'm unsatisfied with the amount of snowfall in DSM so far this winter.

The snowfall for KOKK also is very unsatisfying. I keep hearing how the pattern is becoming favorable and he ensembles show an active pattern but that is what I've been told for the past 45 days. I am tending to not believe it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, KokomoWX said:

The snowfall for KOKK also is very unsatisfying. I keep hearing how the pattern is becoming favorable and he ensembles show an active pattern but that is what I've been told for the past 45 days. I am tending to not believe it.

Jan will be rockin' TM

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I'm sure most of us have seen insane rates on a brief time scale, say 5 or 10 minutes, but sustaining it for 30 minutes or an hour is another story.

That's a good point. Not too long ago I had 0.7" in 5 mins. That's 8-9" an hour. But it didn't last but 5 mins. I've seen that many times with squalls. As far as sustained I've seen 6" in 2.5 hours.

4 hours ago, KokomoWX said:

And if you believe the long term model runs, they currently show Iowa inside of a relatively small swath of total snowlessness while the rest of the entire country that's in a climate prone to snow gets a lot of snow. Even Reno, Nv is progged to see 12 inch plus snows and lake effect snows.

2 hours ago, ConvectiveIA said:

And if you believe the long term model runs, they currently show Iowa inside of a relatively small swath of total snowlessness while the rest of the entire country that's in a climate prone to snow gets a lot of snow. Even Reno, Nv is progged to see 12 inch plus snows and lake effect snows.

Taking a long term model at face Value is 100% pointless. 

Archived