• Member Statistics

    15,533
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Love Snow
    Newest Member
    Love Snow
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
dryslot

NNE Fall Thread

Recommended Posts

It's a bit of hyperbole but I feel like I've already had as much wintry weather so far this year as all of last winter. 



You are not far off. I can't wait to end the streak of no warning events for Burlington since Feb 2015.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we talk about localized precipitation, I still don't think many places have the gradients we do around these parts.

These areas are technically in the same county, like what 15 miles apart?

Total Precipitation in the last 48 hours:

BTV...0.02"

MMNV1...2.11"

That's like summer time convection gradients.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

When we talk about localized precipitation, I still don't think many places have the gradients we do around these parts.

These areas are technically in the same county, like what 15 miles apart?

Total Precipitation in the last 48 hours:

BTV...0.02"

MMNV1...2.11"

That's like summer time convection gradients.

The gradient is unreal in the shoulder seasons. It isn't just elevation either. It's wind directions , sun...everything. May is great. PF is cloudy cold and wet and I'm on the 9th in shorts and full sun. 

NVT- forever weird. 

 

In other news the radar seems to be drying out n/s with the heaviest echos shifting south.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

...really couldn't have asked for a better early season storm.  This is laying down the base now for the season I think as I've gotta imagine its 20" on over 2" of liquid.  Lots of graupel and rimed flakes in there today.  But this stuff isn't settling at all.  There's a 48-hour storm total of 20" and there's 20" on the ground, lol.  Its not like a fluff event when we get 20" and the snow depth is 12" after the two days. 

We essentially just got a 2" QPF nor'easter but an incredibly localized one haha.

 

Yeah, that is a perfect season starter – it would be really nice to get in even an average December after the past three running in the range of 50% of normal snowfall.

 

As for the mountain totals, I’ve updated below for resorts that made an afternoon report.  Not sure what happened to Jay Peak’s 20” from earlier, but they’ve got 12” for their 48-hour total now.  Sugarbush really bumped up their accumulation and is reporting 22”.

 

Jay Peak: 12”

Smuggler’s Notch: 11”

Stowe: 20”

Bolton Valley: 11”

Sugarbush: 22”

Killington: 5”

Okemo: T?

Stratton: 1”

Mount Snow: 1”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's awesome congrats guys! We've had a nice couple of snowy days but only adding up to 3" at my house, maybe 5 or so on the upper mountain. Bretton Woods had great conditions though today! Light snow still falling - picked up about 1/2" since sunset

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Event totals: 3.5” Snow/1.52” L.E.

 

I though the snow was slowing down, but it just sort of keeps building back in as PF mentioned earlier. 

 

03DEC16A.gif

 

We’ll take whatever Mother Nature wants to give us of course.

 

Now that we’re below freezing even down here in the valley bottom, the snow density is definitely dropping and it’s finally gone below 10% H2O.

 

Details from the 8:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

 

New Snow: 0.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.07 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 11.4

Snow Density: 8.8% H2O

Temperature: 31.1 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 2.5 inches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Event totals: 3.7” Snow/1.52” L.E.

 

Another 0.2” of snow fell overnight, and it was indeed very dry because I only pulled a trace of liquid out of it.  Flurries still continue this morning from this “energizer bunny” system, and it’s lasted almost up to the next system that is expected to affect the area tomorrow.

 

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

 

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 29.7 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 2.5 inches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 3.7” Snow/1.52” L.E.

 

Another 0.2” of snow fell overnight, and it was indeed very dry because I only pulled a trace of liquid out of it.  Flurries still continue this morning from this “energizer bunny” system, and it’s lasted almost up to the next system that is expected to affect the area tomorrow.

 

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

 

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 29.7 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 2.5 inches

Nice.

 

I think you guys can but the fall thread to rest and fire up the winter one.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sugarbush now reporting 31" of snowfall at the summit and 3" at the base.

SB_totals.jpg

I think that web cam is definitely going to give them the most snow in the East this season if it fills in like that every night haha.

Our final over here will be 22" above 3,000ft and 9.5" at the base.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Sugarbush now reporting 31" of snowfall at the summit and 3" at the base.

I think that web cam is definitely going to give them the most snow in the East this season if it fills in like that every night haha.

 

Change in snowcam sop.

We had been cleaning the.stake in the morning and before our 1pm snowplan meeting. Overnight Friday we got 6" and then another 6" by 1pm.
We have decided to do it differently going forward and started yesterday afternooon. We will clean the stake once a day at 3:45pm. That way one can see what got overnight and cumulatively through the day.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Hitman said:

Change in snowcam sop.

We had been cleaning the.stake in the morning and before our 1pm snowplan meeting. Overnight Friday we got 6" and then another 6" by 1pm.
We have decided to do it differently going forward and started yesterday afternooon. We will clean the stake once a day at 3:45pm. That way one can see what got overnight and cumulatively through the day.
 

I think they are going to have to change the cam to an elevated one.

Last night looking at radar and everything else from other resorts as well, I do think its drifting in.  The board needs to be even with the snow surface and it won't be for the rest of the season.  They have to get it level with the snow surface.

Watch how they cleaned it last night at 4pm...the snow around the stake is significantly higher and the snow board is basically a hole in the snowpack that will continue to fill in a lot.  1" will turn into 4-6".  All the snow cams out west are elevated and above the snow surface.  I wonder if they could put one that's like 3 feet off the ground or something?

Like if you have this hole, even if it doesn't snow with all the wind that happens at 4000ft that'll fill in every single night.  Like last night if you loop it you can almost see it crawling up the sides.  Obviously I'm not there, but it might be the difference between like 2-3" and 6-7".  It'll be fresh and hard to tell with all the snow up there but its why we give weenies so much flak on here if they measure on their walkway between two snowbanks.

SB_cam2.jpg

Then by morning its filled in again and nice and even.  If you go dig a hole in the snowpack in the woods, let the wind ride for a day and come back the next day, that hole will be gone.

SB_cam.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The skiing is absolutely unreal and I'm sure its the same everywhere across the Greens.... just pure packed powder and the only type of stuff that can come with a 2" QPF snow event followed by temps in the teens.

Best stuff since '14-15.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PF definitely needs to get on the phone and straighten those guys out. Pitiful snow measuring practices. 

Jay Peak is another one...their season total doesn't include the October dumpings so it looks like they're 30"+ off from the neighboring resorts.  The funny thing is that they'll probably end up beating everybody else by the end of the season anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, masomenos said:

PF definitely needs to get on the phone and straighten those guys out. Pitiful snow measuring practices. 

Jay Peak is another one...their season total doesn't include the October dumpings so it looks like they're 30"+ off from the neighboring resorts.  The funny thing is that they'll probably end up beating everybody else by the end of the season anyway. 

Jay peak's measuring for this storm has also been extremely confusing. Yesterday morning they were reporting 8-12 and now based on their written report claim another 13" yet they don't have a 48 hour total of 25 and their season total definitely isn't updated correctly. Also convinced smuggs  is measuring at the base of Madonna right now because of their reports from this storm and the last big one. Mad river claims over a foot and a half so they prob got 20ish and I saw they were a little behind sugarbush from the start. I don't doubt that summit webcam area got 25. 31 may be a little excessive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sugarbush now reporting 31" of snowfall at the summit and 3" at the base.

SB_totals.jpg

I think that web cam is definitely going to give them the most snow in the East this season if it fills in like that every night haha.

Our final over here will be 22" above 3,000ft and 9.5" at the base.

 

 


I just did a double take on season total already. 78"! Awesome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, LaGrangewx said:

Jay peak's measuring for this storm has also been extremely confusing. Yesterday morning they were reporting 8-12 and now based on their written report claim another 13" yet they don't have a 48 hour total of 25 and their season total definitely isn't updated correctly. Also convinced smuggs  is measuring at the base of Madonna right now because of their reports from this storm and the last big one. Mad river claims over a foot and a half so they prob got 20ish and I saw they were a little behind sugarbush from the start. I don't doubt that summit webcam area got 25. 31 may be a little excessive.

Yeah their totals have been a little whacky. They were always consistent in the past though...must be a new guy. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LaGrangewx said:

Jay peak's measuring for this storm has also been extremely confusing. Yesterday morning they were reporting 8-12 and now based on their written report claim another 13" yet they don't have a 48 hour total of 25 and their season total definitely isn't updated correctly. Also convinced smuggs  is measuring at the base of Madonna right now because of their reports from this storm and the last big one. Mad river claims over a foot and a half so they prob got 20ish and I saw they were a little behind sugarbush from the start. I don't doubt that summit webcam area got 25. 31 may be a little excessive.

This one I agree with.  I think they are definitely low-balling it somehow which is much better than the alternative.  Jay Peak has always been a little whacky with their numbers jumping all over the place up and down.  They often also confuse the 24 hour total as being only "overnight" snowfall if you read the report.

And again regarding Sugarbush...I know they got dumped on.  Mansfield and Sugarbush have a lot of similar physical characteristics with a very high long ridgeline facing west.  This event seemed to dump the most snow on the high east side of the bigger ridges. 

Its just they are going to be high on snowfall if they can't elevate the board or completely remove all the snow around it.  If its a hole, the snow will just fill it in and 1" dustings will turn into 4-6".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still blown away by this storm.  I mean the ground just came up 18-20" even all the way down to 2,000ft.

Dense but not wet...like something out west.

Here's 2,200ft at the bottom of the middle zip line span.  We haven't had a storm like this in a few years... 2" QPF that's not all drifting all over the place.

2L8A9075_compressed.jpg

2L8A9078_compressed.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I'm still blown away by this storm.  I mean the ground just came up 18-20" even all the way down to 2,000ft.

Dense but not wet...like something out west.

Here's 2,200ft at the bottom of the middle zip line span.  We haven't had a storm like this in a few years... 2" QPF that's not all drifting all over the place.

2L8A9075_compressed.jpg

2L8A9078_compressed.jpg

Im home and extremely jealous

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thread’s done a great job highlighting a number of early season inconsistencies with respect to snow measurement.  That Sugarbush summit method is going to produce outrageous numbers due to wind sift if they don’t change something as PF said, but apparently they’ve already made some corrections because the 31” total from earlier is now 20” in the past 72 hours.  You can see why the Snowbird SnowCam setup (both board and camera) is mechanically elevated to stay above the snowpack as the season progresses.  With all that said, below I’ve put the numbers for storm totals, for what they are, reported by the resorts as of this morning/afternoon in the usual north to south listing.  I’ve left out resorts that haven’t updated this morning, such as Bolton Valley.  However, I did tour today at Bolton Valley, and I’d say there was ~14-15” of new snow above the old base on the upper half of the mountain, so I’d estimate that as their storm total until they put something on their website.

 

Jay Peak: 17”

Burke: 5”

Smuggler’s Notch: 12”

Stowe: 22”

Mad River Glen: 18”+

Sugarbush: 20”

Killington: 7”

Okemo: 2”

Bromley: 0”

Stratton: 1”

Mount Snow: 1”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sugarbush cam will be really useless when there is 6 feet of snow surrounding it. They have to raise the board. Though at least they have a nice cam set-up...couch cough PF.....

Great storm. Best part is that this week will feature a bunch of refreshing 1-3" snowfalls.  Amazing how fast this world can turn around in a week - and as I have always believed- the greens do the best when there aren't big exciting nor'easter type storms. Just these messy stacked lows that drift around.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have close to 3 inches so far. This shot is on brick and pavement in downtown Winooski (not as much on those surfaces) and it made for a nice scene (via instagram):

15356611_10103822334966999_6208951882795

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Event totals: 0.9” Snow/0.07” L.E.

 

Snow was already well under way by observations time, with 0.9” on the boards.  I cleared them all, including the J&E Productions Live Web Cam board to be able to monitor the day’s accumulations, and I could see that we had quite a potent burst between 7:00 A.M. and 8:00 A.M. with some huge flakes.  It looks like the storm total is in the 2.5” range now, so we’ll have no problem meeting the roughly 2-4” that I saw in our point forecast.

 

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

 

New Snow: 0.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.07 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.9

Snow Density: 7.8% H2O

Temperature: 24.3 F

Sky: Snow (2-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 3.0 inches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, adk said:

The sugarbush cam will be really useless when there is 6 feet of snow surrounding it. They have to raise the board. Though at least they have a nice cam set-up...couch cough PF.....

Great storm. Best part is that this week will feature a bunch of refreshing 1-3" snowfalls.  Amazing how fast this world can turn around in a week - and as I have always believed- the greens do the best when there aren't big exciting nor'easter type storms. Just these messy stacked lows that drift around.

 

Absolutely, the huge storms often bring those extra big winds anyway, and one has to deal with that messing with the snow deposition and density as well.  There’s no doubt that big synoptic storms can be great builders of overall snowpack at all elevations, but that’s not the kind of stuff that makes the Greens and their snowfall/skiing special.  It’s those run-of-the-mill 20-inchers that come in under the radar that do it, LOL.  In any event, let’s hope this past weekend’s surprise system is more in line with the tenor of this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.