Newest Member
    CHSVol
I'll see you in September

J Paul Gordon

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

25 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Love the passion from skivt2...but her permanent residence is in New York I think (joking skivt, anyone who loves skiing is a true friend).  I'm from ALB area, but over a decade in VT will chill you out and appreciate the landscape.  There are a lot of parts of NY that are like VT, but the Hudson Valley is not one of them. Growing up there makes me feel like I'm allowed to say that, haha.

Actually I live and work in VT 50% of the time all year round.  I live and work the other 50% of the time in far northern CT which is actually very similar to VT in many ways - (think Sundown). I usually hit close to 100 days in VT on skis a year but I'm in VT during the summer 50% of the time too.  Admittedly I don't have thick skin so I try to stay out of the line of fire now here.  Same reason I would never post on TGR.  At least I provided some entertainment during the worst part of the most horrible ski season in history.  Anyhow.......back to lurking and praying for a good winter.

12 minutes ago, Skivt2 said:

Actually I live and work in VT 50% of the time all year round.  I live and work the other 50% of the time in far northern CT which is actually very similar to VT in many ways - (think Sundown). I usually hit close to 100 days in VT on skis a year but I'm in VT during the summer 50% of the time too.  Admittedly I don't have thick skin so I try to stay out of the line of fire now here.  Same reason I would never post on TGR.  At least I provided some entertainment during the worst part of the most horrible ski season in history.  Anyhow.......back to lurking and praying for a good winter.

Great surf lately and fully expect NNE to start winter on schedule and conditions should be great all year

10 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Also of note, the JSpin weenie passage

Yeah, that’s an interesting image with the threshold for white shading set around 2,000’ (from what I understand).  I’m always curious about how the Lamoille Valley (next valley to the north that cuts through the spine in the image below) compares to the Winooski Valley (east of KBTV in the image) where we live.  With the threshold setting in that image, you can really get a sense of how the Winooski Valley cuts a very narrow slot through the spine with a dramatic increase in elevation to 2,000+, while the Lamoille Valley to the north isn’t quite as narrow with respect to hitting those elevations.

NGreensvalleys.jpg

22 minutes ago, Skivt2 said:

You're a good person. Don't take offense to any ski stuff. Nothing is ever personal and its all in good fun. I hope (and believe) you guys will have a good season.  I'm looking forward to getting my son on the slopes within the next couple of years. 

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

You're a good person. Don't take offense to any ski stuff. Nothing is ever personal and its all in good fun. I hope (and believe) you guys will have a good season.  I'm looking forward to getting my son on the slopes within the next couple of years. 

Thanks :). No hard feelings. I took you guys the wrong way last year and I felt bad about it later.  

I have kept a journal of every ski day we have had our place in Vt. I hope we get an early start this year. The entries start in the winter 2000-2001 which some of you might remember was good then by March was epic.The snowfall covered the 2nd story windows at our Condo.We have only had 1 Terrible year 15-16 The winter of 11-12 was weak with a very early melt out. 01-02 was ok with a tough Christmas and no consistent snow and cold. 02-03 was awesome with the best coverage of any year by Christmas. Most lean years were followed by Great seasons another would be 05-06 followed by 07-08 lets hope the trend continues!!!

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Unending warmth. With this look have to think usual spots haven't seen their last 90's yet. 

C5FE9D4F-C177-4A2F-862D-F00A1E093F1F_zps

It'll be tough to get 90 even at BDL. If you look at climo, getting 90 in the 3rd/4th week of September and beyond is a once a decade thing. Everything has to line up perfectly especially since we'll have less than 12 hours of daylight beginning next week.

29 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Kevin, Novembers are about the same as they we're when I was a kid 60 years ago.

That’s a great point.  There’s this thing I’ve seen though… where people somehow think that Novembers at 41° N… are supposed to somehow be like they are at 48° N… because once in a blue moon something similar to that might occur.  The folks in this forum are generally quite climate savvy though, so it’s probably not a big concern… but it never hurts to keep a watchful eye for wild misconceptions.

11 hours ago, Skivt2 said:

Every skier is a friend of mine, don't worry we are only playing.  You spend more time in VT than some Vermonters I know haha.

Heres to a great winter everywhere in New England.

14 hours ago, snowman21 said:

Seems like Septembers have been above normal lately. I crunched some numbers, and the 14 Septembers from 2002 onward have broken down like this at the major climo sites in New England:

BDL: 11 above, 3 below, 0 exactly normal (6 well above, 0 well below)

BDR: 11 above, 3 below, 0 exactly normal (5 well above, 0 well below)

BGR: 10 above, 3 below, 1 exactly normal (6 well above, 0 well below)

BOS: 10 above, 4 below, 0 exactly normal (6 well above, 0 well below)

BTV: 11 above, 3 below, 0 exactly normal (7 well above, 0 well below)

CAR: 11 above, 3 below, 0 exactly normal (5 well above, 0 well below)

CON: 10 above, 4 below, 0 exactly normal (5 well above, 1 well below)

ORH: 11 above, 3 below, 0 exactly normal (7 well above, 0 well below)

PVD: 10 above, 4 below, 0 exactly normal (6 well above, 0 well below)

PWM: 10 above, 3 below, 1 exactly normal (5 well above, 0 well below)

I defined well above/below as a departure of 2+ degrees. I chose 2002 as the starting year because prior to that the previous 14 Septembers had statistics similar to the above in the opposite direction.

Farmington co-op:  12 above, 2 below (6 well above)  Range of departures:  -0.6 in 2009, +5.8 last year, 3rd mildest in 123 years records but nearly 3F cooler than 1961.  Previous 14 years (88-01) saw 5 above, 9 below compared to 81-10 norms, but just the opposite 9 AN 5 BN) compared to 71-00, which was 1.3F cooler than 81-10.

Archived