Welcome to American Weather
Skivt2

The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

1,388 posts in this topic

Having trouble posting pics.  Hopefully when I get back.

nelson is an awesome place for a skier.  Not your typical small mountain ski town, big from its days as a commercial center during the gold rush.  Great food and real skiers from all over the world hitting the various cat and heli ski operations as well as whitewater.  Funky vibe.  Some of the guys rented skis from a bike shop in town which stayed open late so we could pick them up.  Brought beers and they had an impromptu cocktail party in the shop to kick off the stay.

we didn't get dumped on quantity wise but 3" one day, 6" next, then 5" of light dry powder even though it was rain in the valley.  It was deep and consistent.  

Didnt make it to red mountain since it is lower elevation and the conditions were reportedly not as good as whitewater.  I really can't begin to describe how great whitewater is.  The trees and steeps are amazing.

Day 1 solitude Utah 44" through last night. Nuke fest. My first time out west. Brighton tomorrow and Alta Monday.

78d341ebd880a6c86ce14f84b038388b.jpg

fc9f05725179862fcedd2d4606533efa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Just now, amarshall said:

Day 1 solitude Utah 44" through last night. Nuke fest. My first time out west. Brighton tomorrow and Alta Monday.

Seafood life paying off!

43 minutes ago, amarshall said:

Nice bro can't see the pics

Let's see what the trail loss is tomorrow morning in southern Vermont. Pretty much expecting the loss of most natural trails. Not much time to blow for the snow making trails. Good thing I took this weekend off 

Pico today. Gorgeous springlike weather with great corn snow and no crowd. Upper Pike bumped up a bit and skied great. The melt has been brutal, though. Most natural snow trails closed and look unskiable. Looks like mid April.

Very enlightening to see the differences in honesty in snow reports this morning.  Stowe gets much respect for being straightforward about the challenging conditions.  Mount Snow and Sugarbush are also pretty honest, with Snow helpfully reminding skiers of their snow guarantee.

Pico is the loser today, with this line: "we will be grateful for the smooth, soft surfaces provided by Pico's grooming team."  Soft?  I don't think so.

19 minutes ago, sankaty said:

Very enlightening to see the differences in honesty in snow reports this morning.  Stowe gets much respect for being straightforward about the challenging conditions.  Mount Snow and Sugarbush are also pretty honest, with Snow helpfully reminding skiers of their snow guarantee.

Pico is the loser today, with this line: "we will be grateful for the smooth, soft surfaces provided by Pico's grooming team."  Soft?  I don't think so.

These are the days I really enjoy the groomers, fast and hard with late Feb sun out by afternoon they soften some. Good Mountain ops let the mountain drain then groom late. The powder hounds are on hold but there is still fun to be had.

46 minutes ago, sankaty said:

Ha, thanks, its not worth it on days like this to try and bring people to the hill.  Its just not the experience we want people to remember so its almost better to try and keep them away a little bit.

Its blowing sideways, there is some new snow but its mostly pasted to the trees, and the re-groom this morning (delayed opening) really helped on the main routes.  Anything not groomed is terrifying. 

13 hours ago, Quakertown needs snow said:

Powder mt. Utah today, 3 days of snow, knee to waist deep, epic day

IMG_0280.PNG

IMG_0282.PNG

Personally, I'm not a fan of going to the big name Mtns because of the huge crowds...obviously weekends and holidays are jam packed...but it's not like many people have the option to go during the week because of the traditional M-F work week.

PowMow has been a bucket list item of mine. Yes, I'm sure it draws a crowd, but most generic average skier will name drop Alta, or Snow Bird. Plus PowMow is local to Ogden and not SLC so that helps with crowds.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, thanks, its not worth it on days like this to try and bring people to the hill.  Its just not the experience we want people to remember so its almost better to try and keep them away a little bit.

Its blowing sideways, there is some new snow but its mostly pasted to the trees, and the re-groom this morning (delayed opening) really helped on the main routes.  Anything not groomed is terrifying. 

There's a reason NE produces so many world class skiers.  It's not powder days

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

There's a reason NE produces so many world class skiers.  It's not powder days

It is true... this is the stuff that makes you better.

I will say we did find some fun stuff to ski in the more sheltered spots of the mountain.  Around 2" fell and blew around, enough that most of the larger/wider trails are blown clean with the ice surface showing.

But in those sheltered spots a few good turns were had.  I will say it is better than I was expecting but I had absolutely no expectations.

These turns were loud, remember it might look nice but that's a very firm surface under there, ha.

Cliff-Trail-had-a-couple-inches-of-fresh

Sheltered-trails-offering-the-best-turns

Glades-Return..jpg

Pure paste fell last night, best paste snow and caked trees were around the 2,000ft elevation as both these photos are from that general elevation. 

Wintry-scene-off-Lullaby-Lane..jpg

Winter.-We-missed-you..jpg

12 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Personally, I'm not a fan of going to the big name Mtns because of the huge crowds...obviously weekends and holidays are jam packed...but it's not like many people have the option to go during the week because of the traditional M-F work week.

PowMow has been a bucket list item of mine. Yes, I'm sure it draws a crowd, but most generic average skier will name drop Alta, or Snow Bird. Plus PowMow is local to Ogden and not SLC so that helps with crowds.

Over 8,000 acres of terrain, limit of 2,000 tickets sold per  day leaves a lot of untracked powder even days after a storm. Snowcat access for $25 took us to waist deep utah fluff.  No upscale lodges which is perfect for me. We also hit snowbasin another nice area. Crazy upscale bathrooms and lodges probably built for olympics. 

15" new this morning at Solitude UT. Theyre shooting the canyons right now. It sounds like Beirut. Midnight red eye home later today and hoping we can get down the canyon.

14 minutes ago, amarshall said:

15" new this morning at Solitude UT. Theyre shooting the canyons right now. It sounds like Beirut. Midnight red eye home later today and hoping we can get down the canyon.

You probably don't want to come home ;).

29 minutes ago, amarshall said:

Wife home with 2 small kids says otherwise.

nice Vid on FB, you got game, looked like it was spectacular

1 hour ago, amarshall said:

Still one of my most favorite experiences is twice being up in the Canyon while they were firing...once at Snowbird and once at Alta.  The only way you'll ever hear stuff like that as a civilian.  You can hear the shells hiss across the canyon and boom on the other side.  Then the entire hillside falls 3000ft to the road.

Thats gotta be the most fun job in the world.  Snow safety and science in Utah for the DOT or ski resorts.

33 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Still one of my most favorite experiences is twice being up in the Canyon while they were firing...once at Snowbird and once at Alta.  The only way you'll ever hear stuff like that as a civilian.  You can hear the shells hiss across the canyon and boom on the other side.  Then the entire hillside falls 3000ft to the road.

Thats gotta be the most fun job in the world.  Snow safety and science in Utah for the DOT or ski resorts.

That kind of deserves a #manstuff right there.

This is all time today for someone who has never gotten first tracks of West Coast knee deep. Hope my gopro comes out. It's 2" per hour rates