Newest Member
    joxey
July 2016 Discussions/Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

has also allowed for cooling centers, malls and other places to escape.  Back then you had no escape other than a fire hydrant or ocean/river/pool

Crowds where i work as a life guard, jones beach were just epic in the 40s-50s. The only thing we have that rivals those crowds now are special events like the Memorial Day air show and 4th of July fireworks 

5 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Crowds where i work as a life guard, jones beach were just epic in the 40s-50s. The only thing we have that rivals those crowds now are special events like the Memorial Day air show and 4th of July fireworks 

look at this photo of rockaway beach in 1946

article-2167371-13E17C30000005DC-402_964

17 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

The biggest traffic jams that I ever saw were summer thunderstorms forcing everyone off the beach in Long Beach at the same time during packed weekends.

20 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

We had something similar last Sunday. Everything was completely backed up despite a feather modest storm

I was having lunch at Ginos in Long Beach at the time one the thunderstorms forced everyone off the beach on a Saturday years ago.

It was just a crush of people on foot running off the beach and a traffic jam of cars getting stuck. So many people

ducked into Ginos that the line was out the front door and the guys at the counter couldn't really keep up. I had to wait about

an hour to drive home since the streets were all blocked with cars and people going to the train.

10 hours ago, bluewave said:

I was having lunch at Ginos in Long Beach at the time one the thunderstorms forced everyone off the beach on a Saturday years ago.

It was just a crush of people on foot running off the beach and a traffic jam of cars getting stuck. So many people

ducked into Ginos that the line was out the front door and the guys at the counter couldn't really keep up. I had to wait about

an hour to drive home since the streets were all blocked with cars and people going to the train.

Reminds me of what happened during a Diana Ross concert at Central Park in 1983 during 'Live at Five.'

Second longest heatwave of the 2000's for LGA at 8 days of 90 or greater before the heavy rains break the heat tomorrow.

12 days AUG/SEP 1953 the longest on record

9 days...AUG/2002

8 days...JUL 2016/JUL/AUG 2002

7 days...JUL 2013/2010/2008

4 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Second longest heatwave of the 2000's for LGA at 8 days before the heavy rains break the heat tomorrow.

12 days AUG/SEP 1953 the longest on record

9 days...AUG/2002

8 days...JUL 2016/JUL/AUG 2002

7 days...JUL 2013/2010/2008

might be awhile before we see 90 there again...lots of 80's showing up on modeling next 7-10 days

Warmest SST's of the summer today with 80 degrees at the bouy south of Breezy Point and 78 south of Fire Island Inlet.

STATION/POSITION TIME  TEMP    WIND        PRES    WAVE   WND WV SWELL
                       AIR SEA DIR/SP/G            HT/PER HT/PER HT/PER/DIR
                 (UTC) (F)     (DEG/KT/KT) (MB)    (FT/S) (FT/S) (FT/S/D)
NY HARB Entrance 1650   79 80  160/  8/  8 1012.5    1/ 6          2/180/ 6
20 S Fire IS NY  1650   77 78  160/  8/  8 1012.4    2/ 6          2/210/ 6

15 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Warmest SST's of the summer today with 80 degrees at the bouy south of Breezy Point and 78 south of Fire Island Inlet.

STATION/POSITION TIME  TEMP    WIND        PRES    WAVE   WND WV SWELL
                       AIR SEA DIR/SP/G            HT/PER HT/PER HT/PER/DIR
                 (UTC) (F)     (DEG/KT/KT) (MB)    (FT/S) (FT/S) (FT/S/D)
NY HARB Entrance 1650   79 80  160/  8/  8 1012.5    1/ 6          2/180/ 6
20 S Fire IS NY  1650   77 78  160/  8/  8 1012.4    2/ 6          2/210/ 6

concerning for tropical storms

Archived