• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
High End Severe Wx Possible Sat nite (6-11-16)

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good drinking day for Wiz

We are headed back to WeHa soon and them getting a couple 40's and pounding them. Fook this POS summer, fool this pattern, fook this EL Nino transitioning to La Niña, fook everything. This garbage summer is going to be even worse than last year and I can't fooking believe that...too have two garbage years back-to-back...FOOK THiS.

Can't get anything to do anything today...a great atmosphere...solid instability, great shear but no fooking lift and fooking capping from a garbage inversion near 700mb and **** dry air being drawn in...I mean are you kidding me?

And screw these hi-res garbage models...especially the 4km NAM...GARBAGE.

It still may screw us. After tomorrow aftn, I don't see a return to another push of warm humid air aloft. 

This.

The forecast submarined reunion weekend plans for Saturday for sure. All outdoor events for Saturday were moved inside (call made Friday evening!). I was extremely skeptical of the SPC outlook given that at 9 PM Friday it was already 48/43 at ITH (dewpoint dropped to 39). Model forecasts were for nearly 70 dewpoints Saturday, and how often does the Northeast see 30 degree dewpoint recoveries the day of an event?

So there was a steady stream of met bashing from many alumni chairs, but I did come home with two cases of beer (one of Heady) and two cases of Finger Lakes wine. It wasn't a total bust Saturday.  :beer:

This.

The forecast submarined reunion weekend plans for Saturday for sure. All outdoor events for Saturday were moved inside (call made Friday evening!). I was extremely skeptical of the SPC outlook given that at 9 PM Friday it was already 48/43 at ITH (dewpoint dropped to 39). Model forecasts were for nearly 70 dewpoints Saturday, and how often does the Northeast see 30 degree dewpoint recoveries the day of an event?

So there was a steady stream of met bashing from many alumni chairs, but I did come home with two cases of beer (one of Heady) and two cases of Finger Lakes wine. It wasn't a total bust Saturday.  :beer:

Nice!

The runs later that day started to look a bit better...but it was still really dry....low KI. Was hoping those height falls and rapid increase in shear might muster up a cell or two...but meh. 

Nice!

The runs later that day started to look a bit better...but it was still really dry....low KI. Was hoping those height falls and rapid increase in shear might muster up a cell or two...but meh. 

A good example for dissecting that SREF sig tor parameter a bit before getting too amped. It may have had 30% contours in CNY, but it was most likely shear dominated.

A good example for dissecting that SREF sig tor parameter a bit before getting too amped. It may have had 30% contours in CNY, but it was most likely shear dominated.

I think the local WFOs did a pretty good job with the event too. Even though SPC had the slight risk out a lot of the computer guidance really dried things out above 850mb. I know Hayden and Frank were talking abobut it and the forecast soundings that I saw left a lot to be desired for how the atmosphere would look post midday MCS remnants. 

This "event" was also a good reminder as why it's so important to look at soundings and not just all these random parameters. Even though there was tremendous shear and decent CAPE we also had an exceptionally dry column sitting above that 850 hpa moisture. 

A lot of the local OCMs were mentioning the chance of some strong tstms with wind/hail etc because SPC had the area in central MA in a slight risk. If it wasn't for SPC graphics, NWS chat and simulated radar....I wonder what some of these people would actually do. 

A lot of the local OCMs were mentioning the chance of some strong tstms with wind/hail etc because SPC had the area in central MA in a slight risk. If it wasn't for SPC graphics, NWS chat and simulated radar....I wonder what some of these people would actually do. 

HRRR was pretty good with showing nothing of consequence past midday MCS.

Here's the 00z OKX sounding. Granted it probably looked a bit better around 21z when that storm popped up near the Belmont but powerful shear, nice hodograph, 1000 j/kg of CAPE and a garbage sounding. 

post-40-0-14642500-1465825936_thumb.gif

Most OCMs in New England pretty much defer 100% to SPC and NWS for convection forecasting. They don't for snow but they definitely do for severe.

HRRR was pretty good with showing nothing of consequence past midday MCS.

Here's the 00z OKX sounding. Granted it probably looked a bit better around 21z when that storm popped up near the Belmont but powerful shear, nice hodograph, 1000 j/kg of CAPE and a garbage sounding. 

Most OCMs in New England pretty much defer 100% to SPC and NWS for convection forecasting. They don't for snow but they definitely do for severe.

Yeah, I know we talked about the risks and even the chance of a cell or two in far western areas...but this definitely had flags with it. 

Yeah, I know we talked about the risks and even the chance of a cell or two in far western areas...but this definitely had flags with it. 

Yeah this was about as red flagged a slight risk day as you can get.

Meanwhile on Friday down in Philadelphia they had widespread severe wind damage and barely a peep out of SPC. You need to figure out where you can add value to their forecasts and the PHL example was a perfect case. No real outlook, a MD that says meh, yet 100k+ without power and millions of people getting 50 knot gusts. The forecast was a pretty easy one too down there.

Yeah this was about as red flagged a slight risk day as you can get.

Meanwhile on Friday down in Philadelphia they had widespread severe wind damage and barely a peep out of SPC. You need to figure out where you can add value to their forecasts and the PHL example was a perfect case. No real outlook, a MD that says meh, yet 100k+ without power and millions of people getting 50 knot gusts. The forecast was a pretty easy one too down there.

Cold ULL FTW. At least we can do those right in the northeast. 

I think the local WFOs did a pretty good job with the event too. Even though SPC had the slight risk out a lot of the computer guidance really dried things out above 850mb. I know Hayden and Frank were talking abobut it and the forecast soundings that I saw left a lot to be desired for how the atmosphere would look post midday MCS remnants. 

This "event" was also a good reminder as why it's so important to look at soundings and not just all these random parameters. Even though there was tremendous shear and decent CAPE we also had an exceptionally dry column sitting above that 850 hpa moisture. 

Here I am pretending I'm 20 running around campus in ITH, when I finally realize I have a problem. 

I'm at a tent party with good beer (Southern Tier Tangier gets my approval) and good music, and I'm looping the HRRRX 36 hour forecast and radar over MI and already complaining that the writing is on the wall for that slight risk.

The first step is acknowledgment.

Archived