joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Pattern Disco -2016

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a great shot. Flying Eagle from updraft basically splitting upper level winds, and the PACMAN updraft gobbling helicity.

ive never seen an actual, so much as photo of this thing - only radars...  i bet it must have looked down right Plainer!

ive never seen an actual, so much as photo of this thing - only radars... i bet it must have looked down right Plainer!

biggest hail event I can remember

Hail

Magnitude 2.00 in.

State CONNECTICUT

County/Area NEW LONDON

NCEI Data Source CSV

Begin Date 1995-06-20 16:25:00.0 EST

Begin Location 0 Lyme

End Date 1995-06-20

cold front moving across the area generated severe thunderstorms which produced large hail and gusty winds. Baseball-size hail lasted for up to 20 minutes in Deep River causing hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage. The hailstones broke hundreds of windows in buildings and automobiles, tore holes in roofs, dented siding and automobiles, and ruined gardens. Some automobiles were totaled. In one historic building, the hail broke 25 windows, including a 100-year curved window. Thirty-two windows were smashed in an elementary school and its roof was damaged.

cold front moving across the area generated severe thunderstorms which produced large hail and gusty winds. Baseball-size hail lasted for up to 20 minutes in Deep River causing hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage. The hailstones broke hundreds of windows in buildings and automobiles, tore holes in roofs, dented siding and automobiles, and ruined gardens. Some automobiles were totaled. In one historic building, the hail broke 25 windows, including a 100-year curved window. Thirty-two windows were smashed in an elementary school and its roof was damaged.

Hmm, one of these things is not like the other. In comparison to totaled cars, a tulip trouncer just seems weak.

biggest hail event I can remember

Hail

Magnitude 2.00 in.

State CONNECTICUT

County/Area NEW LONDON

NCEI Data Source CSV

Begin Date 1995-06-20 16:25:00.0 EST

Begin Location 0 Lyme

End Date 1995-06-20

That storm was incredible. Definitely one of the most memorable storms I missed by about 15 miles. 

I was in Bar Harbor last year in June and absolutely loved it. Days near 70, cool nights, and lots of lobster rolls.

A lot depends on what is relative to the "usual." On our vacation trip last month that included Hawaii, it was mid 80s and sunny with no wind the day we arrived. even in Haleiwa on the North Shore, and we were dying in the heat. Next 2 days were breezy, cloudy and low 70s with the odd sprinkle; we loved it and the local folks were running their electric heaters.

I would probably change the wording to crops or produce were destroyed then. Gardens just seems relatively benign.

Doesn't need baseballs to do in the gardens. The Rome (Maine) treekiller of 8/30/2007 was mainly nickel-and-quarter size ice, and it defoliated and in some cases partially debarked about 7,000 acres of forest. Of course, it also accumulated up to 4" deep in places (much deeper piles where runoff accumulated it), so it took more than a few handfuls of cubes. Only 70+ dbz echoes I've ever seen in Maine.

Doesn't need baseballs to do in the gardens. The Rome (Maine) treekiller of 8/30/2007 was mainly nickel-and-quarter size ice, and it defoliated and in some cases partially debarked about 7,000 acres of forest. Of course, it also accumulated up to 4" deep in places (much deeper piles where runoff accumulated it), so it took more than a few handfuls of cubes. Only 70+ dbz echoes I've ever seen in Maine.

A couple years ago there were two nickel/quarter size events that hit some of the farms in southern Connecticut and basically ruined a number of crops for the year. It was a huge monetary loss (covered by insurance). 

Sunday looks great, only 70s day but that's ok

2 full days of early summer torch..Looking forward to tanning

. ECMWF FROPA DELAYED UNTIL MON NIGHT

WITH TEMPS REACHING 70-75 MUCH OF SNE EXCEPT FOR THE S COAST. UKMET

AND GGEM ALSO SLOWER THAN GFS AND KEEP SNE IN WARMER AIR MON. WE

USED A BLEND FOR TEMPS WITH MORE WEIGHT TOWARD ECMWF

2 full days of early summer torch..Looking forward to tanning

. ECMWF FROPA DELAYED UNTIL MON NIGHT

WITH TEMPS REACHING 70-75 MUCH OF SNE EXCEPT FOR THE S COAST. UKMET

AND GGEM ALSO SLOWER THAN GFS AND KEEP SNE IN WARMER AIR MON. WE

USED A BLEND FOR TEMPS WITH MORE WEIGHT TOWARD ECMWF

we will have to enjoy what we get,ugly after that