joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm March 1st-2nd (Part 2)

Powerball

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thinking I'll now be slightly south of the heaviest amounts. North trend really hasn't corrected south much, if at all.

Yeah, RAP/HRRR are oscillating more than trending right now. I guess the good news is that they haven't trended this thing all the way to the Bruce Peninsula.

Wildcard may be convective elements within the snow that we may experience around 3z. GFS soundings showing some steeper lapse rates/elevated CAPE.

Yeah, RAP/HRRR are oscillating more than trending right now. I guess the good news is that they haven't trended this thing all the way to the Bruce Peninsula.

Wildcard may be convective elements within the snow that we may experience around 3z. GFS soundings showing some steeper lapse rates/elevated CAPE.

Yes, seeing values of greater than 7°C/km on BUFKIT for CYKF around 10pm tonight. Should be the highlight of the system, maybe even some boomers.

With the hi-res models not really backing down, I'm going to cut my totals expected totals for Toronto back to 6-9". We could still over-perform but just to hedge my bets.

I'm going to go a bit more drastic and reduce amounts big time from 9-13" to 4-8". There's going to be a steep gradient within the GTA. Lowest amounts in the southern sections and highest amounts in the north. More like 4-5" in the downtown core.

I'm going to go a bit more drastic and reduce amounts big time from 9-13" to 4-8". There's going to be a steep gradient within the GTA. Lowest amounts in the southern sections and highest amounts in the north. More like 4-5" in the downtown core.

With the hi-res models not really backing down, I'm going to cut my totals expected totals for Toronto back to 6-9". We could still over-perform but just to hedge my bets.

Talk about having the carpet pulled out from under you.

uY9ZsEZ.png

Wow, that's really pessimistic. Only the HRRR is as low as 4-5" and even it varies. What are you're seeing now that's caused you to bail?

Also, what's it doing now? I notice YYZ has consistently been -SN with 3-4 SM visibility with virtually no returns for the last 3 hours or so. Snizzle?

Wow, that's really pessimistic. Only the HRRR is as low as 4-5" and even it varies. What are you're seeing now that's caused you to bail?

Also, what's it doing now? I notice YYZ has consistently been -SN with 3-4 SM visibility with virtually no returns for the last 3 hours or so. Snizzle?

Just snizzle/light snow flakes.

The track and especially the speed of the system concern me. The HRRR has the best rates in a 3-4 hour period (8 pm to midnight or 1 am). Also, the HRRR and RAP hint at some sleet in the early evening which may limit snow amounts.

Let's see what happens and hope for the best. Hopefully the HRRR is out to lunch with the sleet.

The 19z HRRR is rolling out and so far (up to 01z) the sleet /freezing rain is confined to the Niagara region. All snow for the GTA. Hopefully this is the start of a positive trend for the GTA as the HRRR gets into its wheelhouse (within the first 6 hours of the run).

Archived