joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm March 1st-2nd (Part 2)

Powerball

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You answered my question while I was posting. Haha.

Not often you see London getting less than Toronto.

Actually I would disagree.  For synoptic, this is a terrible location.  The good storms go west and we get rain, or get pulled east and we whiff, or seem to get pulled north into L. Huron when they hit Ont.  or in the odd case where the location of the low should be good, the temps are often marginal and it's like it is now.   Seen it over (and over) again........We are virtually never in the synoptic bullseye for actual storm tallies.  So other than LES,  we are at least as bad as TO.

Looking at KC radar, over towards Oshawa, you can see how the returns have been more intermitten. That's what the HRRR/RAP were indicating earlier over Toronto, the pivoting of the snow shield along the area of best frontogenesis, but they were too far N/W.  So the city's sitting pretty right now. 

Too bad you are not here SSC. I know you would be pleased. 

Was just out a bit. The city is quiet. Just sound and sight of snow ripping.

Actually I would disagree.  For synoptic, this is a terrible location.  The good storms go west and we get rain, or get pulled east and we whiff, or seem to get pulled north into L. Huron when they hit Ont.  or in the odd case where the location of the low should be good, the temps are often marginal and it's like it is now.   Seen it over (and over) again........We are virtually never in the synoptic bullseye for actual storm tallies.  So other than LES,  we are at least as bad as TO.

Hmmm...maybe the SE MI magic the last decade hasn't translated as far north as London.

Yes. In terms of large metropolitan areas, Ottawa is likely the sweet spot of Ontario for synoptic snowfall.

Probably 3" or so.

While amounts may be a bust, I can tell you that it was the scariest commute I've ever had. Fishtailing on the freeway because the snow is building up fast. Everything was a sheet of ice from the freezing rain and I drove my entire 30 mile commute in blinding snow. My 45 minute drive took 1 hour 55 mins. I'd say 2" fell in the first hour of pure snow.

850mb winds are a little concerning with the winds still coming out of the south, so it will still be close for Toronto (as far as avoiding mixing issues).

Anything's possible but the PL/SN line on radar has been stuck well south of the city for the last couple of hours. 850 low will move overhead shortly and put an end to threat. I doubt it'll impact accums much even if a touch of sleet does fall.

It's the way we roll here, I think we did much better in the 60s and 70s for these types, but everybody else probably did too.

Enough bitching tho...... spring is not far off.

Not here. We did decent in the 70s but not the 60s. I think the SE MI magic now was a snow hole then,.based on area data compared to the rest of the region.

Probably 3" or so.

While amounts may be a bust, I can tell you that it was the scariest commute I've ever had. Fishtailing on the freeway because the snow is building up fast. Everything was a sheet of ice from the freezing rain and I drove my entire 30 mile commute in blinding snow. My 45 minute drive took 1 hour 55 mins. I'd say 2" fell in the first hour of pure snow.

Can totally empathize. The 696/275 interchange was horrendous.

Litmus test for me as to whether it's truly ripping or not is whether the buildings in the background here disappear. Let's see if we can get that done...so far I've been a little disappointed (although heartened by all the ground-truth reports stating otherwise)...

loc34.jpg

It JUST got good.

Honestly, it has not been rippage and rates have appeared mediocre visually (although accumulations have been pretty good). My visibility has been pretty good the whole storm... until now.

Archived