• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late Feb/March Med/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

Eps still gets to the good look by March 6. It's not pushing it back in time. Before that it's backing off everything for the same reason, the war. That finally gets pushed up into Greenland around March 6 but until that happens any threats are thread the needle types.

ETA: if anything the eps has been improving the look post March 6 the last two runs after a hiccup bad run the night before. We should know soon though. That period will be getting into range soon and the gefs has been better inside 10 days so if the eps starts backing off and the gefs doesn't start to pick up on it in the next 2-3 days then I will fold up my tent.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eps still gets to the good look by March 6. It's not pushing it back in time. Before that it's backing off everything for the same reason, the war. That finally gets pushed up into Greenland around March 6 but until that happens any threats are thread the needle types.

ETA: if anything the eps has been improving the look post March 6 the last two runs after a hiccup bad run the night before. We should know soon though. That period will be getting into range soon and the gefs has been better inside 10 days so if the eps starts backing off and the gefs doesn't start to pick up on it in the next 2-3 days then I will fold up my tent.

I agree looking forward from now, that period does look good. Not as good on the GEFS, but not bad. A few days ago, the late Feb/Early March period looked really nice, with the WA ridging moving up into the NAO region and the vortex swinging down under the block. Now it has a more transient look and probably wont work out. I hope the same outcome doesn't occur for the March 10 period. Not to sound like a broken record, but this winter has sucked for legit cold air delivery, and to expect it now as we are headed into Spring is probably a bit wishful.

I agree looking forward from now, that period does look good. Not as good on the GEFS, but not bad. A few days ago, the late Feb/Early March period looked really nice, with the WA ridging moving up into the NAO region and the vortex swinging down under the block. Now it has a more transient look and probably wont work out. I hope the same outcome doesn't occur for the March 10 period. Not to sound like a broken record, but this winter has sucked for legit cold air delivery, and to expect it now as we are headed into Spring is probably a bit wishful.

the good look for the feb 29-March 5 period was really only a quick blip on a couple runs but was always troublesome with the trough axis a little north of what I would like. The period after that has consistently hinted at a return to a southern storm track on the weeklies, the rollover analogs, and now the eps day 10-15. But yes if that starts to back off in the next day or two it's game over.

The WAR cannot be denied this winter. It sucks. I hope the WAR semi-permanent feature this winter doesn't somoehow evolve into a semi-permanent Bermuda High ridge this summer.....but I have a bad feeling it will based on past summer patterns following a strong El Nino.

Without any blocking, the storms will cut. Thank god we got the blizzard in January. Without that, we would all be under 10 inches.

the good look for the feb 29-March 5 period was really only a quick blip on a couple runs but was always troublesome with the trough axis a little north of what I would like. The period after that has consistently hinted at a return to a southern storm track on the weeklies, the rollover analogs, and now the eps day 10-15. But yes if that starts to back off in the next day or two it's game over.

That period was actually pretty steady on the ens means. Thats why it grabbed my interest. Probably the biggest issue is the moving vortex underneath, and the models seem to be having issues resolving that. Early next week is still not dead.

Why do we even look past day 5?  One small change at the beginning of each run can make huge differences later.  A week ago we were saying it was Today was going to be great.  Late last week we were saying March 3rd was going to be great...  Now we are saying March 8th.

don't worry...the train will pull into the station shortly...don't ever remember someone saying first week of April looks solid...its either next few weeks or next winter...just my 2 cents.  Did the blizzard really happen this winter? 

In the New England forum (typhoon, ORH, etc) a common theme being preached is to watch for key elements of the pattern developing, and to NOT put too much weight into any one op event/solution. I don't want to misrepresent what these guys are saying, but this is an overarching "theme" I keep reading. I also see guys like psu and chill giving the same type of cautionary tale...

Personally, I think the ops will struggle greatly with sensible weather outcomes over the next 10-15 days mainly because we have a) -AO dropping down to pay us a visit , which has yet to define its strength and placement, B) defiant WAR and when/if the positive heights move on to higher latitudes, c) NAO that needs to decide its magnitude of drop (if it does go negative), d) reloading of -epo and mjo moving into phase 8 (hopefully)

What I'm getting at is there are a lot of cards being shuffled around at this very moment, in conjunction with a seasonal change on our horizon. We just can't know if after the shuffle calms down if we pull an Ace of the top, or a joker

In my mind, I still think there is plenty of hope left for a decent event here in the MA. Whether that means 5" or 20", I'd be happy with either

i honestly don't put any stock in the surface past day 5. But looking at h5 the gfs continues to be stubborn. It's not an awful look but the pv rotates around too far north to help much and everything is northern dominant. It actually looks to be getting somewhere better at the end but that's forever out. I'm waiting to see who blinks first the eps or gfs. It's starting to come into range soon so if the euro idea of the pattern is correct we should start to see some better op runs soon. As far as the threats before that. The pattern is flawed, see WAR, but decent enough that the day 9 thing could trend better. Right now the timing is awful coming right between troughs. There are factors the models can't see this far out that could change that. A well timed kicker, different speeds, the storm in front pulling the boundary more south.

i honestly don't put any stock in the surface past day 5. But looking at h5 the gfs continues to be stubborn. It's not an awful look but the pv rotates around too far north to help much and everything is northern dominant. It actually looks to be getting somewhere better at the end but that's forever out. I'm waiting to see who blinks first the eps or gfs. It's starting to come into range soon so if the euro idea of the pattern is correct we should start to see some better op runs soon. As far as the threats before that. The pattern is flawed, see WAR, but decent enough that the day 9 thing could trend better. Right now the timing is awful coming right between troughs. There are factors the models can't see this far out that could change that. A well timed kicker, different speeds, the storm in front pulling the boundary more south.

One thing I don't like is the GEFS is pulling the ridging out west off the coast in the longer range.

But these temps are NOT going to get it done on a March 10th. And don't say not to look at the temps, because temps have been the problem multiple times this year.

gfs-ens_T2ma5d_us_12.png

All that map does for us is delay the inevitable misery of spring.  We gotta score next few weeks or that's all she wrote...I hate March through October...it should always be January in my mind

But these temps are NOT going to get it done on a March 10th. And don't say not to look at the temps, because temps have been the problem multiple times this year.

Except that is a smoothed out mean.  We dont need the temperatures to be -10 all the time, just during precipitation in a storm.  That will never show up in a mean.  Even up here it was 45-50 the day before and after the March 58 storm.  That mean is averaged out between runs that have a storm at that exact time and runs that don't.  This is not a crazy cold pattern but its one that we may be able to get something to take a good track under us and hope its just cold enough with a good h5 pass.  That said today has been a pretty crappy day of runs so far.  The op runs of the GFS and Euro were total crap and if the EPS folds this afternoon or if the ops dont start to come around in the next couple days it wont matter.

Archived