joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential major winter storm - Feb 24-27

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honest question... Why is there stock put in on off 6z/18z runs? Money is spent (albeit little) to run since no new data in ingested, but these off runs never seem close to the final solution and are always extreme from the trends.

Search for dtk's posts on the forum and read this publication from NCEP. Basically the gist is that the 6Z/18Z runs are almost always better than the previous 0Z/12Z cycle for the same forecast time for pretty much the entire useful range of the GFS, but especially within the D5 window. But, even for the same lead time the variation in skill between the different cycles is minuscule compared to the difference between different models. Over the past year the AC skill score spread for all cycles regarding 500mb height forecasts at D5 was 0.007. 

yeah, see my edit. Phase aloft really created a monster late.

Looking at the pieces, it depends what happens with the first northern stream piece, if it is strong like this run it will go east a bit. If not and it is like the 18z it will go west as long as it phases with the 2nd piece it will be a monster nonetheless.

I've always wondered how well a jan78 would be handled by today's models. 5 days out the ukmet would probably explode.

I've wondered the same thing. There's a school of thought that the huge atmospheric events like that are more likely to be flagged by the models well in advance, but who knows.

UKIE takes a 1002mb low in NW AL at 96 and takes it to 994 near Pittsburgh at 120. That's weaker and a bit east of its 12z solution.

Location wise, it's similar to the GFS but it's at least 10mb weaker.

East of 12z but more in line with the type of track it was showing prior runs.

Archived