joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential major winter storm - Feb 24-27

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm noticing that the threat of this possibly going down the drain doesn't carry nearly as much sting or disappointment on a warm day like today in late Feb. vs. in the dead of winter.   We're basically tracking a cement bomb with terrible thermals and a very narrow winners alley.  (don't get me wrong, I'd love to be in that alley but if not.....oh well still entertaining to see how this turns out)

Obviously things are in motion here and nobody should get too bogged down in any one model solution. I will say from imby perspective I'd like the models to trend stronger with that lead clipper for Sunday-Monday. The trend has been to weaken it into almost nothing and this allows heights to rapidly rebuild along the EC. A stronger clipper could also act as a semi-block which would lock in more cold air, increasing the possibility of front-end wintry precip. Some of the earlier GEFs members showed a bit more of a banana high signature, even with a westerly track.

Maybe it's perception but I'm not sure why AFDs seem to give more weight to the GEM than say the UKIE. Latter is a superior model imo.

Depends on the situation, the GEM does well with northern stream clipper stuff, but full latitudinal systems, the GEM falls on its face.

Don't have access to the full suite of members, but the 18z OP GFS appears to be now on the far western flank of its ensembles. There are quite a few wound up members in the 18z GEFs, but except for one that I can see, not quite to that extent.

Looks like the eps mean with a low over nyc

I'd probably swap GFS and Ukie around but yeah.

Per hemispheric verification stats UK is usually a bit ahead of the GFS. Keep in mind we only get 24-hourly UK data more than 3 days out and just sfc/500mb plots, and even closer in I'm sure that data on Meteocentre is interpolated to a lower resolution grid. Sort of like what Euro data was like 8 or 10 years ago unless you had the hookup :lol:

Sorry guys...I thought one of the OH crew would have jumped on starting a thread already. Anyway the discussion was getting bifurcated so I thought I'd act. With my track record for imby....either the OV or the western Lakes will get hit pretty hard. :lol:

Anyways discuss...

Now you already failed big time with your last "storm" thread.

Your thread creation privileges should probably be revoked if you fail with this one as well. 

Archived