joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
President's Day Storm Obs & Nowcasting

nj2va

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huge truck spreading salt and sand just ended the fun.

There's tons of ice all over. We got a serious layer of ice on the snow. ZR is falling moderately and it IS freezing

I've had two plows in the last hour and neither were spreading anything but wet roads.

I mean I don't doubt decks and hand rails and driveways and some sidewalks are slick...I'm not trying to troll but it's not an ice storm...it's some rain with temps just cold enough for some slickness...i get it though...it's raining and in the 20s seems like it should be fun

It's like a lot of storms here where we see vast differences between one area and another. My experience has been more like yours -- the snow is crusty here and the car is covered in ice, but the trees, plants, and power lines show no visible ice at all. The driveway is snowy, but the plowed street is walkable with no issues. Clearly others on here have much more ice if they're having trouble walking down driveways or sidewalks.

Washington Post power outage tracker has 23 power outages currently in the DC area. That's a pretty clear indication that this event does not have significant impact (as of yet, anyway). I am expecting OPM and other non-OPM controlled agencies to go with unscheduled leave and maybe a 9AM start time but nothing beyond that.

No way. Rising temps in the upper 20s is a classic recipe for an ice storm around these parts!

Why are you so hung up on this? There's significant icing going on. It'll end up limited because we have a retreating HP and limited qpf but the ice is definitely acreting here and the pine trees are definitely starting to sag.

IDK, cwg just spit out a graphic showing temps near 50 degrees by mid to late morning. Even if we get .2 inches of "ice" tonight hard to see how a 2 hour delay wouldn't solve everything, which would make this a rather pathetic ice storm.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Road conditions will probably be too questionable at 4 am when OPM has to make the call, especially since northwest suburbs might still be around the freezing mark... so I would suspect a delayed opening of 2 or maybe 3 hours, but I agree a delay is probably all that's needed given how mild temps will become tomorrow morning.  OPM typically makes a call either by 10 pm the night before (recently it's been more like 9:45 pm) or 4 am the day of.  So if we're going to find out tonight, we should know in the next 10 minutes.

It's like a lot of storms here where we see vast differences between one area and another. My experience has been more like yours -- the snow is crusty here and the car is covered in ice, but the trees, plants, and power lines show no visible ice at all. The driveway is snowy, but the plowed street is walkable with no issues. Clearly others on here have much more ice if they're having trouble walking down driveways or sidewalks.

Washington Post power outage tracker has 23 power outages currently in the DC area. That's a pretty clear indication that this event does not have significant impact (as of yet, anyway). I am expecting OPM and other non-OPM controlled agencies to go with unscheduled leave and maybe a 9AM start time but nothing beyond that.

Even when I lived in Leesburg for 12 years...what is happening tonight is exactly the same...again I'm sure it is slick out there

Here's a question: If its raining and below 32, but the rain makes puddles then freezes, is it still freezing rain? I thought the definition of freezing rain was that it supercooled as it entered the low level cold layer, and then froze as it hit the surface.

If there are puddles it's probably just wannabe freezing rain.

Everything that falls isn't freezing...is it?

Interesting and I didn't realize that. So if it was like 20F but pouring rain and not freezing immediately that is just rain? It is freezing but not immediately. Faster on the car deck ect but slower on the front stoop.

Interesting and I didn't realize that. So if it was like 20F but pouring rain and not freezing immediately that is just rain? It is freezing but not immediately. Faster on the car deck ect but slower on the front stoop.

It's freezing rain, I'm convinced he is trolling...

Just went out to check, it's freezing up on everything, trees pine needles, anything. Luckily it'll warm up before it causes big problems.

I'm not a freezy rain expert...i suppose I'm just being difficult...this to me is just rain and it's cold enough to freeze in spots. I think an ice storm freezing rain event just has more impact

Archived