• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8-9th Miller Boom or Bust Disco

Bob Chill

This is encouraging news. Thanks for the analysis.

It's encouraging but one has to keep in mind that as we near h+48 we are getting into the afternoon on Tuesday so we have to hold thermals. Rates being solid should keep snow established, especially if there are areas of prolific qpf like the GFS just showed (on the order of .75-1"+)

Still, something to watch closely nonetheless. As we said before, we will take our chances with good precip rates.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With those rates i'd take my chances with temps. Would probably still accumulate even at 34 degrees.

Looking at that map, we're talking about less than a tenth of an inch an hour of precip but I'll round up to a tenth of an inch. Is that enough to accumulate with those temps? Unless I'm misinterpreting the map. It is based on a three hour period, right?

Looking at that map, we're talking about less than a tenth of an inch an hour of precip but I'll round up to a tenth of an inch. Is that enough to accumulate with those temps? Unless I'm misinterpreting the map. It is based on a three hour period, right?

Its the QPF between hours 45-48.. almost all of the area gets at least 0.1 QPF+, with a small area that gets 0.25+ in 3 hours which would be about 1" per hour rates. 

You sure do complain a lot for someone who always gets good snow

always? I probably am guilty of the same thing when thinking of places like Worcester mass but I probably don't get as much snow as many people in dc think. My elevation helps a lot with temps and can enhance precip if I'm in it but I am just as prone to a miss as you if the precip shifts out of the area. Elevation won't help if the trough is over philly.

Gefs makes me feel better. Op run may have just been on the northern edge of its envelope. And yes I am an unabashed weenie when it comes to snow but since north is usually how we get screwed id rather not see things head that way and I'm also thinking Baltimore since I would like a day off so I can stay home to play in the snow with my son. The blizzard was great but a little too much snow for a 1 year old to do much in and too dry to make a snowman.

Archived