• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

TARHEELPROGRAMMER

To be fair, this has been on the Euro ensembles for about 5-6 days now. It has also been on the Euro op since last Friday at 12z. Yes it's been off on a couple runs but it has been there. The cmc and it's ensembles have shown this wave too. Lets not act like it just showed up on the 12z Euro today. I feel pretty strong there will be an event, nailing down the details will take some time.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope everyone just tempers their expectations with this storm.

Like others have said, it could/probably will change many times. Just with the January storm, I was predicted to have a major winter storm here in Greensboro, NC, just hours before it actually came to pass. We only ended with a few inches of sleet. I won't be excited with this one until snow actually is flying here.

Many aspects of this storm will undoubtedly will change as we get closer. Hopefully we all can end up with a nice snowstorm to cap winter off

Yeah, although January was still a major winter storm for us. 3" of sleet is a big deal and made the roads a mess for awhile. It takes about as long to melt as 9" of snow.

To be fair, this has been on the Euro ensembles for about 5-6 days now. It has also been on the Euro op since last Friday at 12z. Yes it's been off on a couple runs but it has been there. The cmc and it's ensembles have shown this wave too. Lets not act like it just showed up on the 12z Euro today. I feel pretty strong there will be an event, nailing down the details will take some time.

Agreed. I'm going to try to tune out for the next couple days and come back once we get closer to the event and start to get some degree of an idea on specifics (I doubt I'll be able to help myself, though, LOL).

So since everyone is giving up on the 15th for central NC, what's the next chance? March?

Is this a real post?

Agreed. I'm going to try to tune out for the next couple days and come back once we get closer to the event and start to get some degree of an idea on specifics (I doubt I'll be able to help myself, though, LOL).

Is this a real post?

lol... You're looking at the 18z gfs now and waiting on the para Euro.

18Z GFS a huge party pooper, much much slower and warmer with the western short wave next week, faster with the eastern trough and the HP moving off the coast. Just a boring rain event. Looks like a lot of twists and turns with this one.....

it's slowly getting there... Gfs will be late to the party on this.

Your favorite storm of all time (Jan88) had a weak 1016-1018mb low in the gulf to SE coast...more important is locked in cold and a good fetch of moist SW flow

This is hyperbole banter

Yeah a weak wave taping gulf moisture I could see from 88....I just didn't see the 12Z euro having a gulf low at all, so I didn't see what was taping the moisture for the storm.  Not on the free maps anyway, one shows up though in the Atlantic at 192.

Yeah a weak wave taping gulf moisture I could see from 88....I just didn't see the 12Z euro having a gulf low at all, so I didn't see what was taping the moisture for the storm. Not on the free maps anyway, one shows up though in the Atlantic at 192.

there is a big high so a weaker low with a stronger high creates a big pressure difference. Hope this helps.

Big Rob,

kwork, the models are showing that very setup happening, starting late Sunday in the Tennessee Valley to Delta regions, spreading over much of the Southeast Monday and up the East Coast Tuesday.
European model has been very insistent on this setup. The cold air coming in next weekend is True hardcore ARCTIC INVASION well to Georgia.
Immediately, a weak wave dropping through the Rockies begins to tap Gulf moisture and it grows with time, covering a huge chunk of the Southeast and it's throwing out some impressive snowfall numbers into Alabama, Georgia, the Carolinas and up the into the MidAtlantic. Blockbuster numbers..but it's early yet. There's still plenty of time to watch this unfold. This particular storm looks to have extremely cold air in place, very far south, for the event, unlike many that are a "close call". As always, at this far out there's more questions than answers, like the exact track, how much moisture, the angle of the amplifying wave, and if thunderstorms could develop to really foul up the snow and ice totals for some locations. For now, I've broad brushed the basic region that appears to be most at risk for a Winter Storm.

12650891_1218685324828187_17056583450730

Big Rob,

WxSouth

27 mins ·

kwork, the models are showing that very setup happening, starting late Sunday in the Tennessee Valley to Delta regions, spreading over much of the Southeast Monday and up the East Coast Tuesday.

European model has been very insistent on this setup. The cold air coming in next weekend is True hardcore ARCTIC INVASION well to Georgia.

Immediately, a weak wave dropping through the Rockies begins to tap Gulf moisture and it grows with time, covering a huge chunk of the Southeast and it's throwing out some impressive snowfall numbers into Alabama, Georgia, the Carolinas and up the into the MidAtlantic. Blockbuster numbers..but it's early yet. There's still plenty of time to watch this unfold. This particular storm looks to have extremely cold air in place, very far south, for the event, unlike many that are a "close call". As always, at this far out there's more questions than answers, like the exact track, how much moisture, the angle of the amplifying wave, and if thunderstorms could develop to really foul up the snow and ice totals for some locations. For now, I've broad brushed the basic region that appears to be most at risk for a Winter Storm.

12650891_1218685324828187_17056583450730

Boom! Can't wait to hear JBs thoughts

Gee whiz...everything from a cutter to an apps runner to a southern slider included on that graphic Frosty!! Lol. I think we could use that for nearly every scenario 7 days out.

Lets start with the cold and worry about a storm track after Friday.

I think that's the track of the low as he sees it, not 3 scenarios?

Archived