joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

TARHEELPROGRAMMER

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That too, but the mountains tend to shear out energy diving in from that orientation... the trough axis is all messed up and that may hurt is next week as well.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think the mountains play a role at all. I've heard of this before, but I've never seen anything published or actual evidence related to this thought. How do mountains shear out energy located ~18k feet above us? The energy will clear the Appalachians with ease, it's probably another mechanism.

Nothing like a wave tracking from Washington state to Minnesota in an El Nino   :arrowhead:   GFS has the look of a system that will produce 0.1 total precip

Yeah, still looks like it becomes a frontal passage to me.  I have no idea what to think about this system for next week anymore.  It seems like things are a bit everywhere. 

So much for expecting storms to start in southern Cal and moving east.  Even in a super Nino!

12Z GFS is worlds better. Toggle from the past 4 runs of the GFS and you can see how it improves each and every time.

With respect to what?  I thought the High pressure wasn't as strong and the 500mb energy was further north.  A small piece swung around the base of the trough on this run and it definitely helped the surface though.

With respect to what? I thought the High pressure wasn't as strong and the 500mb energy was further north. A small piece swung around the base of the trough on this run and it definitely helped the surface though.

In regards to wintry precip for the upper south. Low keeps coming further south on GFS

Sounds slower than 0z.

Yes, storm not running into the cold air as well....but that cold airmass is probably going to want to hang in there like it did on the GFS.  This reminds me of the light freezing rain event we had a few years ago (Jan '13) where the high was off the coast, but we still got ice b/c the airmass was cold and dry.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think the mountains play a role at all. I've heard of this before, but I've never seen anything published or actual evidence related to this thought. How do mountains shear out energy located ~18k feet above us? The energy will clear the Appalachians with ease, it's probably another mechanism.

Perhaps energy isn't the right wording, the overall orientation of the trough as it appears probably has a bigger effect than geographical features, it is too far East and retreating

I think every other model is so much different from the GFS.

12Z GFS is worlds better. Toggle from the past 4 runs of the GFS and you can see how it improves each and every time.

I mentioned the problems w/ the GFS this morning here, if anyone is interested: http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/47772-february-midlong-range-winter-discussion/page-23#entry3968505

If you compare the 06z mean here to my post I linked, you see the GFS is struggling overall with HP location off the east coast. Because of that simple fact, we're not going to be able to get a storm to consistently be modeled until it nails that HP location...and that is yet to be seen in the models. Following ensembles, rather than operational runs, will yield to a better idea of overall trends in the HP. 06z GEFS looks worlds better on the means than any of the previous runs.

d1oXtUA.png

I mentioned the problems w/ the GFS this morning here, if anyone is interested: http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/47772-february-midlong-range-winter-discussion/page-23#entry3968505

If you compare the 06z mean here to my post I linked, you see the GFS is struggling overall with HP location off the east coast. Because of that simple fact, we're not going to be able to get a storm to consistently be modeled until it nails that HP location...and that is yet to be seen in the models. Following ensembles, rather than operational runs, will yield to a better idea of overall trends in the HP. 06z GEFS looks worlds better on the means than any of the previous runs.

GFS though is really struggling with the storm too I think. Hardly has one at all.  

But yeah, if that high can stay as shown there right on the coast, most of the SE CAD areas would be fine for a winter storm IMO from what the other global models are showing in regard to the storm.  Off the coast is no good.  At this point though I may as well say that I want it in upstate NY.  Can I get that?   

Archived