• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 2016 Medium/Long Range Disco

Bob Chill

I share your optimism, and really feel that the longer time period to set in for the cold and then storms may extend the potential good times into early, maybe even mid-March.  There are certainly some signals that indicate early March being good this year in our parts.  

i dont count on march to deliver snow, transition month to spring

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im just holding my breath because we really need the Atlantic to play along or we go cold and dry, warm up, cold front, repeat...

Clean snow storms are in the minority on the gefs. I'm expecting mixed or rain Tbh. We're also so far away that getting too invested is a waste of time.

Gefs also breaks down the cold pattern by the end of its run but plenty of ridging in the pna/epo region.

Clean snow storms are in the minority on the gefs. I'm expecting mixed or rain Tbh. We're also so far away that getting too invested is a waste of time.

Gefs also breaks down the cold pattern by the end of its run but plenty of ridging in the pna/epo region.

Yeah I think I counted 3, maybe 4 that looked predominantly snowy. The rest are rainy/mixy. Lots of spread on low positions, but quite a few members have a low track well inland. Long way to go, but not unexpected given the advertised ridge/trough position and the crappy Atlantic look. Plenty of time for things to shift a bit.

Would be surprised if we didn't get a good few week period later. Hard to be disappointed in the season given how big that storm was, but it would be nice to add on. And recent history (30y) would suggest we will.....7 above average seasons at DCA prior to this year with 6 of them having at least 150% of average....5 with at least 200%. Last yr was the only one of the 7 not in that group.

At least both the GGEM/EURO have something to monitor in the next 7-9 days...

We're getting some good looks irt how complicated things are coming up. Nothing shows an ideal or more classic storm setup inside of 10 days. Is what it is.

I suppose it's worth considering the vort digging deeper and the northern low tracking further south. Would offer a chance to phase. But I think that's a pretty big stretch.

On 1/2, the AO went negative. It bottomed on 1/16 and started to rise. One week later, we had our bliz. So if the pattern repeats and the AO drops close to what it did at the start of this month, we've got at least 3 weeks before we can consider threats seriously. So I'm talking 2/20 or later. Until then, scraps or a fluke, at least in my simple mind.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao.sprd2.gif

On 1/2, the AO went negative. It bottomed on 1/16 and started to rise. One week later, we had our bliz. So if the pattern repeats and the AO drops close to what it did at the start of this month, we've got at least 3 weeks before we can consider threats seriously. So I'm talking 2/20 or later. Until then, scraps or a fluke, at least in my simple mind.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao.sprd2.gif

Works for me. :P

https://twitter.com/islivingston/status/693297060053909504

Just looking at h5 on the 12z GEFS, you would think there would be a reasonable chance of something between the 7th and the 12th. Decent looking block over Greenland during that period. Still have the damn ridging to our NE, but it seems to relax a bit during that time frame. I am sure it will look different in another run or 2 anyway.

Archived