joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/23-24/16 #1 All Time KNYC Snowfall-please add Obs, Accums, Pics

WeatherFox

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As of 6:30 am, we have 7.5" (average of about 20 measurements, which is needed when it's this windy) on the ground, which means we've been getting over an inch per hour since 3 am (4.5" in 3.5 hrs). Took me about 45 minutes for shovel #2 and it was ripping 30-40 dBZ for part of that time, with <1/4 mile visibility, i.e., heavy snow. 23F out there.  Damn it's gorgeous and now the sun's coming up, so we all get to see it better now. 

Went back out at 7:30 am and measured an average of about 8.5", did my 3rd shovel of the storm (maybe the toughest one, 30 min after the plows went by and threw all the heavier, wetter snow from the road into the bottom of my driveway and somewhat onto my sidewalk), and then at 8:30 am measured again and I'm estimating 9.5".  

But man it's really tough to measure, as it's pretty windy (not like it will be, maybe 15 mph w/25 mph gusts) and the snow is quite dry (nice dendrites), so I'm seeing variations from 8 to 11" all over the yard (I have a large, tree-free, fairly quiescent back yard) and there are even some bare spots and drifts to 24" already.  I have no idea why I love this stuff so much, but I do - made a nice snow angel and took a nice Jeb-walk (is that guy from DC still around?). Have to say, this storm reminds me of Jan-96.  

Passing 10" of snowfall at Mount Vernon, NY. It's crazy out here.

Passing 10" of snowfall at Mount Vernon, NY. It's crazy out here.

right here not too far from your location in the northern bronx we have 8.5 inches near 9 by now ,very heavy snow still falling.easily a foot+ by noon around here..that band is crushing the north shore of l.i,lower westchester county and the bronx. :snowwindow:

Archived