joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-23 Storm Threat

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the most interesting dynamic at play here is how the the short-term, high-res models will rate against the big boys on the block.  Funnily enough the Euro ended up coming north a tad at 0Z, but the NAM and SREFs specifically have been pretty consistent in both their QPF amounts and the further north expanse of moisture.

Not saying they are right, of course, I just find it interesting how different the looks have been.  Usually by now one side caves, and by one side I mean the NAM falls into line.  Not going to make the trip home as I just couldn't find the time, but there may be an interesting trowal event out this way to watch, so hopefully we all do well!

And if anyone is in Hatboro, let me know how they do!

The north trends are good, bodes well for more in this forum....everything seems to be coming together for a real nice storm. The satellite imagery is amazing, watching things evolve. My biggest concern at this point is a possible sleet-fest tomorrow, with the strong winds. Maybe some dry slot concerns too. Having said that, I'm loving this. It's Friday and I've got a date with a Blizzard tonight! :lol:

The north trends are good, bodes well for more in this forum....everything seems to be coming together for a real nice storm. The satellite imagery is amazing, watching things evolve. My biggest concern at this point is a possible sleet-fest tomorrow, with the strong winds. Maybe some dry slot concerns too. Having said that, I'm loving this. It's Friday and I've got a date with a Blizzard tonight! :lol:

Welcome back Kamu!

I think the most interesting dynamic at play here is how the the short-term, high-res models will rate against the big boys on the block.  Funnily enough the Euro ended up coming north a tad at 0Z, but the NAM and SREFs specifically have been pretty consistent in both their QPF amounts and the further north expanse of moisture.

Not saying they are right, of course, I just find it interesting how different the looks have been.  Usually by now one side caves, and by one side I mean the NAM falls into line.  Not going to make the trip home as I just couldn't find the time, but there may be an interesting trowal event out this way to watch, so hopefully we all do well!

Im just a few miles North in Warminster. I will report....

post-129-0-45358000-1453472476_thumb.gif

Looks to spread DC Death Band into parts of Eastern PA. Legit or NAM'd? Either way, sitting pretty at this hour!

Here is what I think should be taken form the NAM.  It's is probably a little too tucked in and over amped.  Signaling signs of continual northward push of precip shield and dynamics however it's very most likely overdone.  I would expect the globals to show a northward progression still however not to the extent of the NAM.  

I have absolutely no idea what to expect for this storm. I'm guessing 12" in Hunterdon Co. NJ. I work overnight in Bethlehem PA. What start time can I expect in the Leheigh Valley? When might the heavy sticking to the roads start? I'm thinking of bagging work tonight. Thanks.

I could tee off a golf swing and hit Hatboro....snow reports to follow.

Here is what I think should be taken form the NAM.  It's is probably a little too tucked in and over amped.  Signaling signs of continual northward push of precip shield and dynamics however it's very most likely overdone.  I would expect the globals to show a northward progression still however not to the extent of the NAM.  

With that said, if the NAM is a tick too far N and the other models tick N to meet in the middle, the heaviest snow axis still runs from DC thru PHL and SE PA to NYC. We've taken almost as many hints/cues from the models that they will give us. There is honestly little uncertainty now except in terms of total accums. Look at radar, snow is encroaching. Southern part of region could have accums by 7pm. We are nearing nowcast time.

With that said, if the NAM is a tick too far N and the other models tick N to meet in the middle, the heaviest snow axis still runs from DC thru PHL and SE PA to NYC. We've taken almost as many hints/cues from the models that they will give us. There is honestly little uncertainty now except in terms of total accums. Look at radar, snow is encroaching. Southern part of region could have accums by 7pm. We are nearing nowcast time.

Our area...10-11pm-ish? It's coming in quicker than I originally thought.

Our area...10-11pm-ish? It's coming in quicker than I originally thought.

At the latest I would think based on radar. Will have to see how the dry air affects the northern edge as it encroaches upon us. I would expect several inches by daybreak here. 

12K NAM says snow/virga by 1PM. Seems a little overzealous to me but still looks to be moving rapidly North:

namconus_ref_us_2.png

Archived