joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-23 Storm Threat

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6z GFS shifted heaviest qpf axis North again. I wouldnt look verbatim that it lowered totals across SE PA slightly as this is noise at this range but moreso that it now lines PHL and SE PA up perfectly almost with the heavier snow axis. And i will believe the 48" or so totals in DC when I see it...again, noise. Yes they are ground zero but this is overdone imo. Trends are great! Steady as she goes!

I am rooting hard for an eastward shift of everything.  Still don't like how everything cuts back east of the Chesapeake Bay.  Been very persistent.....dry slot and subsistance issues I guess......maybe even sleet worries.

Going to be an agonizing day watching this thing crawl up to us.  Snowing hard already in southern VA.  But the NWS is saying snow is a couple hours faster than they thought.....saying into BWI by 3pm today.....could make our rush hour pretty rough.

I am rooting hard for an eastward shift of everything.  Still don't like how everything cuts back east of the Chesapeake Bay.  Been very persistent.....dry slot and subsistance issues I guess......maybe even sleet worries.

Going to be an agonizing day watching this thing crawl up to us.  Snowing hard already in southern VA.  But the NWS is saying snow is a couple hours faster than they thought.....saying into BWI by 3pm today.....could make our rush hour pretty rough.

It's faster, but the air in front of it is extremely dry.  Will have to saturate it first to get anything to the ground.  Still don't think we'll see anything until later this evening (even for Wilmington)

Be careful with what you wish for.  I am as crazy as most of you about wanting the most snow possible, but IF this pans out with the worst case scenarios (highest snow amount, highest winds, etc) keep in mind emergency vehicles will not be able to get to some calls.

I can remember in my township (Worcester Twp.  Montgomery County) some of our roads being closed long term to any vehicles as the largest plows the state / county highway departments had in this area could not handle the drifts. Huge snow blowers and front end loaders were brought in from western PA to open the roads. I think this was in the early 80's. Maybe the 83 storm - not sure.  Maybe our local equipment is different now - not sure - but this could be disastrous. 

With that Debbie Downer statement - on with the storm.

Professors already gearing up their "hell or high water, you're coming in on Monday" speeches!

Seriously though, this is absolutely fascinating -- watching the models flicker and waver and predicting which ones are spitting out fact and which ones got cracker crumbs dropped in the equipment.  I love it!

Welcome to your new addiction.

I think the equipment upgrade for departments is much better than the 80s.

That being said it's the cities that have the issues.  I can't remember what storm it was, but I remember being a week out and some philly streets were still completely unplowed.

Ah yes, the ice ruts on the Philly side streets that rip the exhaust right off your car...

Archived