• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/19-1/20 mid-week storm potential

Bsudweather

Agree 100% esp in the ne ga and nw sc areas.

Really nervous about this for our area.  The high was supposed to be 34 yesterday - don't think it got there - most I saw was 31.  Already below low (forecast to be 22, was 16 when I left this morning) - really don't think we will see the forecast of 36...

That will make 48 hours below freezing... and well below at times...

Will have to see how much (and what kind) falls...

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really nervous about this for our area. The high was supposed to be 34 yesterday - don't think it got there - most I saw was 31. Already below low (forecast to be 22, was 16 when I left this morning) - really don't think we will see the forecast of 36...

That will make 48 hours below freezing... and well below at times...

Will have to see how much (and what kind) falls...

Im worried about freezing rain. I think we see that more likely than snow.

And no problem with accumulations either as here in Pickens it was 15° this morning and will probably not reach 40° for high today then back in teens tonight. So no doubt whatever falls will stick. Could even make roads messy. As strong as this looking it wouldn't surprise me to see folks north of I85 see a inch or so.

I think this is looking good for my back yard! I wouldn't be surprised if Clemson/ Pickens / Greenville proper, could get a coating to an inch of snow and or sleet. Especially if precip arrives earlier than expected, like noon or so

I'm rooting for you buddy!!!  Nothing would make me happier! I had already started looking to February.  Maybe we will get a double surprise this week!

canadian continues to show a nice line of snow tomorrow down into upper sc. i know all eyes are on the weekend but this should be a nice little event tomorrow afternoon.

The Canadian maybe seeing the 2mm temps the best and to my untrained eye is more wet than the GFS and NAM.

post-1314-0-42532700-1453221343_thumb.pn

post-1314-0-22927100-1453221349_thumb.pn

I agree. I would cash out with 1-2 inches and call it a winter at this point. 

Yes!! :) 

I do personally think that with how generally speaking unusual December was, that February and March will possibly have very unusual patterns that could lead to frequent winter weather events at least somewhere along the east coast.  I am still an amateur, it will take me eight to ten more years to really get a feel for understanding all the dynamics. 

I agree Doppler, this could catch a lot of people off guard. With the cold surfaces we could have a lot of problems on the roads.

especially in this instance, with a decent shot of snow/ice within 24 hours almost no one seems to be following this event - they are all going for the biggie at the end of the week lol.

this is the se so i take what i can get when i can get it for winter wx.  gsp expanded the WWA a little and are now into ne for an inch or two of snow. 

especially in this instance, with a decent shot of snow/ice within 24 hours almost no one seems to be following this event - they are all going for the biggie at the end of the week lol.

this is the se so i take what i can get when i can get it for winter wx. gsp expanded the WWA a little and are now into ne for an inch or two of snow.

Yea I think this is our best shot as this weekend is doubtful imo. Maybe at your elevation you will stay colder this weekend. Looking forward to some pics!

this is the se so i take what i can get when i can get it for winter wx.  gsp expanded the WWA a little and are now into ne for an inch or two of snow. 

Same here. I'll be up past gainesville tomorrow and am hoping to see an inch or two....of course compared to the 1 to 2 FEET those lucky bastards northeast of here will get with the next one, it seems pretty sad lol

There was a system like this in Feb of 13, it wasn't suppose to even make it here. It was a Saturday and it snowed here for a solid hour or two, no accums, but Caesars head got a suprise 4-5", we weren't cold enough, upper 30s

Are you talking about the lee-side low we had with a little thunder? If so here is a video I made. Sorry for being a little off topic.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NT-sOg7cRo

On the NAM she starts running out of juice as she comes East.

considering how dry the nam has been with this system, it's an improvement. I still feel like the models are too warm. Nam for example has temps right at freezing near gainesville with a dewpoint in the low to mid teens when precip starts yet temps don't really respond after it starts. Of course we have to actually have enough precip to actually do the job but assuming we do, tenps should fall back to around 28 or 29 and stay there through the night. Afterwards, light freezing precipitations could fall much of the night. What i've been wondering about is if we are still at freezing thursday morning when more appreciable precip moves back in. We won't have a fresh influx of cold air so latent heat release would cause a rise in temps but could mean a few more hours of light freezing rain thursday morning and making for some slick conditions.

New WWA up for my area.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA
244 PM EST TUE JAN 19 2016

GAZ019>024-200345-
/O.NEW.KFFC.WW.Y.0003.160120T1200Z-160121T0600Z/
FLOYD-BARTOW-CHEROKEE-FORSYTH-HALL-BANKS-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ROME...CARTERSVILLE...GAINESVILLE
244 PM EST TUE JAN 19 2016

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM WEDNESDAY TO 1 AM
EST THURSDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PEACHTREE CITY HAS ISSUED A
WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR IMPACTS DUE TO ACCUMULATING SNOW AND
ICE...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM WEDNESDAY TO 1 AM EST
THURSDAY.

* LOCATIONS...MAINLY NORTH OF A ROME TO CANTON TO HOMER LINE.

* HAZARD TYPES...ACCUMULATING FREEZING RAIN...SLEET...AND SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATIONS OF UP TO 1 INCH.
ICE ACCUMULATIONS UP TO ONE TENTHS OF AN INCH.

* TIMING...4 AM WEDNESDAY TO 1 AM THURSDAY.

* IMPACTS...ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW...SLEET...AND FREEZING RAIN MAY
MAKE TRAVEL DIFFICULT OR IMPOSSIBLE BEGINNING WEDNESDAY MORNING
AND CONTINUING INTO THE AFTERNOON. SOME OF THE GREATEST IMPACTS
MAY OCCUR AT PRECIPITATION ONSET WEDNESDAY MORNING DUE TO THE
VERY COLD SURFACE TEMPERATURES FORECAST.

* TEMPERATURES...WILL DROP TO THE MID 20S ACROSS MUCH OF NORTH
GEORGIA BY 6AM THEN SLOWLY RISE TO ABOVE FREEZING BY MIDDAY AND
REACH THE MID TO UPPER 30S BY MID AFTERNOON. THE HIGHER
ELEVATIONS...ABOVE 2000 FT...OF NORTH GEORGIA WILL REMAIN BELOW
FREEZING LONGEST...LIKELY THROUGH LATE AFTERNOON.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW...SLEET...OR
FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR
SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE
DRIVING.

&&

$

considering how dry the nam has been with this system, it's an improvement. I still feel like the models are too warm. Nam for example has temps right at freezing near gainesville with a dewpoint in the low to mid teens when precip starts yet temps don't really respond after it starts. Of course we have to actually have enough precip to actually do the job but assuming we do, tenps should fall back to around 28 or 29 and stay there through the night. Afterwards, light freezing precipitations could fall much of the night. What i've been wondering about is if we are still at freezing thursday morning when more appreciable precip moves back in. We won't have a fresh influx of cold air so latent heat release would cause a rise in temps but could mean a few more hours of light freezing rain thursday morning and making for some slick conditions.

100% agree.  I have been hugging the CMC on this event.  It's the coldest and wettest unless I have missed some other modeling somewhere.

I personally see more of the 2014 snOMG storm that happened and left all those people sitting on I-75.  Light precip but the surface temps were cold.

100% agree. I have been hugging the CMC on this event. It's the coldest and wettest unless I have missed some other modeling somewhere.

I personally see more of the 2014 snOMG storm that happened and left all those people sitting on I-75. Light precip but the surface temps were cold.

Eight hours of driving and then a two hour, 6 mile walk... Let's not have that happen again please. I think temps will be rebounding as soon as the precip lightens up or stops so we shouldn't have too much to worry about.

RAH
THERE WILL BE
SUFFICIENT MOISTURE TO SQUEEZE OUT SOME PATCHY DYNAMICALLY DRIVEN SNOW
SHOWERS. THE WEST COULD SEE SNOW SHOWERS BY EARLY AFTERNOON...WITH A QUICK
TRANSITION TO THE EAST...AND THE SHOWERS TAPERING OFF IN THE NORTHEAST
BY AROUND 8 PM.

VERY DRY LOW LEVEL AIRMASS SHOULD LIMIT ACCUMULATIONS DUE TO
EVAPORATION...BUT SOME AREAS ARE LIKELY TO SEE A FEW TENTHS OF AN INCH.
THIS WOULD NOT NORMALLY BE A PROBLEM...BUT ANTECEDENT ROAD AND GROUND
CONDITIONS ARE COLD AND SLICK SPOTS WILL BE POSSIBLE ON BRIDGES
AND OVERPASSES...ESPECIALLY IF TRAFFIC COMPACTS THE SNOW TO A THIN LAYER
OF ICE. HIGHS TOMORROW WILL BE IN THE MID 30S ACROSS THE NORTH TO UPPER
30S IN THE SOUTH.

Archived