joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2016 BANTER

Isopycnic

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, that discussion thread is 80% a lot of banter lately.

With the lack of anything to track I am being lenient and only getting involved if things turn to sniping and arguing.  When things heat up weather wise so will the moderation of the weather threads.

If we could slow this down 6-12 more hours...it's coming during the morning/afternoon rather than evening/overnight.

A small step towards a more wintry solution. 850s are close for the foothills, but we're in the 40s at the surface.

EDIT: Looking colder with a 1030+HP sliding into the Midwest at 192...

So when is the first  snow/Ice storm Jonathan? I need dates! lol

Compared to 18z, 0z is faster with the first two lows (1/8-9) and slower with our 1/10-11 system. Hanging back in S TX instead of the GOM.

Been away all day today, have been under the weather so haven't had a chance to look much at the latest model runs. For the 1/11 event that is what we want to see, the energy a little slower thus allowing the cold air more time to filter in as well as the system moving in during the overnight vs during the day, with something so marginal we could be cold enough aloft and too warm at the BL. A slower timing would help out since we wouldn't be fighting daytime heating and it would give a little extra time for the cold to filter in.

Also regarding the overall pattern things look good for the cold to continue through January and well into February. There will probably be a brief period or two where the pattern relaxes some but it should be short lived. We should have plenty of snow chances between now and late February. Those in the upslope regions should start seeing some snow this week!

GFS is close to something big January 17th but the energy doesn't go neutral soon enough. Need it to go neutral sooner or get it to go negative as the cold air is in place. Looks like the series of storms to watch is the 8-9th (nothing to see here imo), 11-12th (very close to a nice snow) and 16-18th (close as well). There could all be some small disturbances which pop up in between these main storms but that wouldn't show up until we are within 5 days.

So when is the first  snow/Ice storm Jonathan? I need dates! lol

My prediction is sometime between JAN 16-23. Bank it! :lol:

What's happened to GaWx? I haven't seen him post in a long time, he was a great poster and I appreciated his insight. 

I miss Larry's posts as well. He had some really awesome stats, especially for our ATL folks.

GFS is close to something big January 17th but the energy doesn't go neutral soon enough. Need it to go neutral sooner or get it to go negative as the cold air is in place. Looks like the series of storms to watch is the 8-9th (nothing to see here imo), 11-12th (very close to a nice snow) and 16-18th (close as well). There could all be some small disturbances which pop up in between these main storms but that wouldn't show up until we are within 5 days.

Agreed on the dates. In order, they're Ugh, Meh, and Hmm... :lol:

And yet, nothing at all for Columbia, SC.  Good for Northern SC (at best) and NC.

Seems like a lot of runs are close, but nothing really concrete yet. I know, we still have a whole week. Just hope we start seeing some good runs this week for next week. Looks like it is going to warm up again this weekend after the cold shot here the next three days. I guess the cold is coming back next week. Hopefully, the storms will follow. I am getting a bit antsy to start seeing some real storms on the models, not just a good pattern and indicies.

Where's the short term thread?  :axe:

Pretty impressive snow on the HRRR leads to some (model) accumulations, 1" in E Wake Co. As long as it's not virga it could be some decent snow showers, as modeled. Looks like the area to watch is East of I-40. 

iXHZG1c.png

Pretty impressive snow on the HRRR leads to some (model) accumulations, 1" in E Wake Co. As long as it's not virga it could be some decent snow showers, as modeled. Looks like the area to watch is East of I-40. 

iXHZG1c.png

Allan Huffman @RaleighWx 1h1 hour ago

Latest HRRR showing snow flurries around 2-3pm in Triangle.

latest runs keep looking better and better.  going to be pure luck as to who gets under it and for how long.  if i see a snow shower i'll be more than happy. 

iXHZG1c.png

I think being just North of GSO I will be just too far west for this but hopefully Raleigh gets some token flakes

It is ripping snow this morning in Flagstaff, AZ! Roads are covered and everything.

It's supposed to basically snow here all week (Flagstaff is one of the snowiest cities in the country), but I'm leaving for the Grand Canyon area later today and it looks like rain there.

always cool to see but never as fun when it's not in your own backyard

Archived