joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2016 Pattern Disco

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like the models have backed off a bit, the GFS barely even shows one, except for at the very end of the OP runs 300hr+

The D10 signal has definitely muted as we got closer...but yeah, there is another signal now in the D14-15 range. We'll see if that has any legs as we get closer...I'm skeptical of it because I do expect blocking to return in February, so I think any drastic pattern flip will be hard to achieve and we know models like to overdo it some out in the long range.

The MJO pulse should be watched though...we could definitely sneak in a warm week if it gets strong enough in the unfavorable zones.

The D10 signal has definitely muted as we got closer...but yeah, there is another signal now in the D14-15 range. We'll see if that has any legs as we get closer...I'm skeptical of it because I do expect blocking to return in February, so I think any drastic pattern flip will be hard to achieve and we know models like to overdo it some out in the long range.

The MJO pulse should be watched though...we could definitely sneak in a warm week if it gets strong enough in the unfavorable zones.

We'll have to watch AK too. As that trough tries to furnace us towards the end of the run, the cold tries pressing south from Canada too. You can see it on the GEFS especially. Almost like a gradient look.

Good to keep in mind. Should next weekend produce, wouldn't snow cover come into play as well?

Good to keep in mind. Should next weekend produce, wouldn't snow cover come into play as well?

Well snowcover can easily be overwhelmed by an unfavorable pattern. Methinks the unfavorable look may happen, but like I also said...maybe we can get more of an overrunning deal too. Kind of like the long duration storm last Feb. It was in the 60s in DC while it snowed here. Not saying to expect that, but it's an example of what can happen. 

Going forward, I think the pattern evolution is generally in alignment with prior posts, though, time will tell regarding the extent to which the reversal amplifies.

[1] The NAM transition into a predominately negative state has occurred over the past couple weeks, via tropospheric forcing mechanisms [i.e., Kara Sea ridge development, potentially instigated by a couple of background factors], stratospheric polar vortex elongation in response to initial strong wave-1 attack which has warmed the lower/mid stratosphere over the Pacific side of the Pole.

[2] Thus far, the severe -AO has not yielded any snowfall or extreme cold. The upcoming week will feature colder than normal temperatures. The rapid upward trend in both the AO and NAO modalities for the 18th-22nd period is a noted Archambault indicator for enhanced storminess / cyclogenesis along the East Coast. So the detection of a possible storm later in the week would coincide with statistics on prior sharp AO/NAO rises, and severe -AO dailies. However, if the western ridge amplitude is not sufficiently meridional and/or oriented more NE-SW rather than N-S, it will tend to force cyclogenesis too far S/E and push the storm offshore. This remains a possibility due to the off the charts +AAM state which has infused the Pacific Jet with incredible westerly momentum. The AAM tendency has been negative recently, but it is still very high. If the ridge remains amplified, there is enough downstream Atlantic residual blocking to prevent a warm/rainy scenario. Confluence appears strong. Largest risk is a S/E miss, in my view.

[3] The targeted period for robust wave activity [Jan 20-30] will be occurring with the strongest wave-1 pulse to date, in accordance with the discussed precursors. Forecasted wave-1 heights, historically speaking, would be sufficient to induce a vortex displacement. Typically, the initial wave-1 hit is separated by a couple weeks of depressed flux prior to the second, stronger pulse. A potent +MT event in East Asia could develop as wave-1 increases concurrently, and this would enhance pressure on the vortex. The one wildcard remains the anomalously strong condition of the vortex this winter, which may require stronger wave activity than is typically needed to force SSWs. With that being said, I think the probability is mod-high for at least a minor SSW, whereby zonal winds slow significantly and 10hpa temperatures rise sharply. I am not certain that we will achieve a major SSW displacement, but the time frame continues to be near the end of January for that potential.

[4] Regardless of stratospheric progression, other tropospheric indicators are suggestive of the overall maintenance of high latitude blocking in February. I expect that the Western ridge reload will be extremely transient. A classic Nino NPAC looks probable for the end of the month with the Aleutian low and +PNA. GWO orbit and heightened AAM state support the aforementioned regime of S/E US troughiness and Rockies ridging as the month closes. The expectation for February continues to be the gradual retrogression of the GOA with a -AO and -NAO in the means. Depending upon the evolution of the stratosphere, this AO/NAO blocking could be either moderately robust or severe / similar in magnitude to the January episode. An official displacement would heighten the probability of protracted blocking.

Overall, it does not appear to me that we are paralleling the Nino winters which were torchy / snowless from front to back. The second half transition still looks on track. January is falling in accordance with the analogs; generally a near normal temperature departures with improved high latitude indicators.

Yes, agreed.

None of this is surprising based upon el nino climo.

yeah all that ... 

purely supposition and not intended as a forecast:   i am wondering if this winter's bulk snow quota takes place over the next ten days to two weeks. 

it seems the extended range teleconnector curves have flipped into a warm domain space, oscillating now up and down inside that realm over the last three nights.  ...talking about the gefs, of course ... not sure what the euro cluster thinks.  but in terms of the former, given to lingering warm pacific, if the pna slumps, and the epo and nao and ao for matter, all rise to neutral or even positive like the gefs mean has it, seems (intuitively) to favor warmer times in february. 

Archived