• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
December warm NOT White

PB GFI

What was the last month with above average precipitation?

December will end nicely above average.

I dont know about the amounts, but this past December was relentlessly rainy. It feels like it has drizzled or rained almost every day.

Having a dog, was a nightmare this month. Constant mud and rain.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont know about the amounts, but this past December was relentlessly rainy. It feels like it has drizzled or rained almost every day.

13 out of last 15 days have had measurable rain at KLGA.

Brutal.

Do you have to walk the dog, or can you just let it out in the yard? We have a little guy who we just let out...so the weather doesn't affect us.

Although last night he wanted to go out until he saw the sleet...he was terrified

Do you have to walk the dog, or can you just let it out in the yard? We have a little guy who we just let out...so the weather doesn't affect us.

Although last night he wanted to go out until he saw the sleet...he was terrified

I can walk or take out in yard. Yard is a muddy mess with all this rain.

I have a 4.5 month old 10 pound puppy and she is a muddy and wet mess everyday for the last 15 days.

So much fun after walking her art 6:30am!!!!

P.S. Puppy was eating the sleet pellets last night.

I can walk or take out in yard. Yard is a muddy mess with all this rain.

I have a 4.5 month old 10 pound puppy and she is a muddy and wet mess everyday for the last 15 days.

So much fun after walking her art 6:30am!!!!

P.S. Puppy was eating the sleet pellets last night.

Why so muddy? No grass back there? That really does suck. Cant imagine walking a dog every morning before work..

Gee, almost forgot about the GFSx which failed to update for a while.    The final 3 days of the month including today's  34-46 will average +13, so almost no change in the current +13.8 for the month.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/mos/getmex.pl?sta=KACY&sta=KEWR&sta=KNYC&sta=KJFK&sta=KLGA

No below normal day showing up yet.

If it hadn't been for the warmth, these gloomy days would have led to major bouts of depression. However, dealing with many people every day the attitude has been mostly positive and happy, folks amazingly still reeling from winters relentlessness of last February and breathing a sigh of relief so far. Of course not on these forums but I've hardly seen any complaints out in the field. Myself included.

If it hadn't been for the warmth, these gloomy days would have led to major bouts of depression. However, dealing with many people every day the attitude has been mostly positive and happy, folks amazingly still reeling from winters relentlessness of last February and breathing a sigh of relief so far. Of course not on these forums but I've hardly seen any complaints out in the field. Myself included.

I hate this gloomy weather everyday

An incredible 51.2 and +13.5 for NYC with only two days to go in December.

This will rank as one of the most extreme monthly warm departures to

occur in the United States. In a similar class as March 2012 for beating

the previous record month by a wide margin as happened in the Midwest.

Through the 29th. of December                            1649  +  1323  =   2872/58 = 51.2

Using today at 34-47 & Fri. 43-53                         1749  +  1405  =   3148/62 = 50.8 as estimated final, or +13.6.

Basically we got stuck near Nov. 07 and never advanced.  

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/mos/getmex.pl?sta=KACY&sta=KEWR&sta=KNYC&sta=KJFK&sta=KLGA

The GFSx just offers up one below normal day on the 5th.   At any rate, by the start of business on the 7th, I  reckon we'll be at +4.  If we can keep this departure under +5.3 for the whole month,  we can recover the "MIA Month of December"

Let's say December finishes at 50.8F. That will be an astounding 6.7F warmer than the now second warmest December of 2001 at 44.1F.  To put it in perspective, 50.8F would be tied for 9th warmest NOVEMBER in NYC since 1869.

That spread of 6.7F over 2nd place is simply unprecedented in NYC weather history. For comparison, the greatest spread between 1st and 2nd warmest of any other month in NYC is 1.8F for January (all time warmest 43.2F Jan 1932 over 2nd place 41.4F 1990/1950)  Two other months have a spread of 1.0F (April and September), and all the rest have spreads between 0.1 and 0.8F between the top 2 warmest values. So a spread of 6.7F between 1st and 2nd is simply beyond anything we've ever seen in 146 years of weather records. It's a statistical freak that will likely never be repeated in our lifetime, unless there's some other forces at play.. 

And I still can't get over the fact that the average low this December at NYC (~45.3F) will be over a full degree warmer than the all time warmest December MEAN (44.1F in 2001). I'm not sure there's ever been a month in history where something like that has ever happened in the US.  Again, another stat to demonstrate how off the charts this December has been in NYC and much of eastern NA.

Through the 29th. of December                            1649  +  1323  =   2872/58 = 51.2

Using today at 34-47 & Fri. 43-53                         1749  +  1405  =   3148/62 = 50.8 as estimated final, or +13.6.

Basically we got stuck near Nov. 07 and never advanced.  

The GFSx just offers up one below normal day on the 5th.   At any rate, by the start of business on the 7th, I  reckon we'll be at +4.  If we can keep this departure under +5.3 for the whole month,  we can recover the "MIA Month of December"

I'm confused, if your trying to determine what the average for month is,you should be using central park or Upton, as points of official record keeping. Using the airports,while OK,isn't 100% accurate I'm sure being there surrounded by asphalt and concrete.

Let's say December finishes at 50.8F. That will be an astounding 6.7F warmer than the now second warmest December of 2001 at 44.1F. To put it in perspective, 50.8F would be tied for 9th warmest NOVEMBER in NYC since 1869.

That spread of 6.7F over 2nd place is simply unprecedented in NYC weather history. For comparison, the greatest spread between 1st and 2nd warmest of any other month in NYC is 1.8F for January (all time warmest 43.2F Jan 1932 over 2nd place 41.4F 1990/1950) Two other months have a spread of 1.0F (April and September), and all the rest have spreads between 0.1 and 0.8F between the top 2 warmest values. So a spread of 6.7F between 1st and 2nd is simply beyond anything we've ever seen in 146 years of weather records. It's a statistical freak that will likely never be repeated in our lifetime, unless there's some other forces at play..

And I still can't get over the fact that the average low this December at NYC (~45.3F) will be over a full degree warmer than the all time warmest December MEAN (44.1F in 2001). I'm not sure there's ever been a month in history where something like that has ever happened in the US. Again, another stat to demonstrate how off the charts this December has been in NYC and much of eastern NA.

Thanks for this, excellent synopsis and fascinating statistical tidbits. Truly nothing like we've ever experienced previously.

Archived