Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/ Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wiggum rule in effect...snow within a few days after reaching 60F. This theory ends Feb 28 (29th this year) and works only during the heart of the winter months. Rarely fails. Radar looks good for a quick dusting or so on grass/cars in SE PA.

Not even close...I didn't see a flake. I think we're about cooked for the season...

Yesterday's outbreak was pretty historical, surprised it isn't getting more play in this forum. Would say that storm was better than anything I saw last summer. And just in general very rare to see a widespread severe outbreak with tornados from NC to Boston in February. Incredible what elevated instability and robust dynamics can do to overcome the lack of surface instability. Was an epic event. Lots of branches and a few trees down here in mercer and into lower bucks county that I saw today. Also a pretty strong tornado in Lancaster. Never saw so much lightning associated with a storm in February.

first EF2 in state history during february. also first multiple tornado outbreak during february in state history.

This El Nino needs to go to hell never to return again. So many negatives to choose from regarding the overall weather pattern since late summer. This destructive tornado episode just adds to my overall dislike/hatred of ENSO!

This El Nino needs to go to hell never to return again. So many negatives to choose from regarding the overall weather pattern since late summer. This destructive tornado episode just adds to my overall dislike/hatred of ENSO!

agreed. Last summer was maybe the most boring weather period in my lifetime. great weather as it wasn't too hot, but jeez was it dull.

Apparently Lancaster had a confirmed tornado yesterday. Damage looks like it affected the Amish community severely.

first EF2 in state history during february. also first multiple tornado outbreak during february in state history.

Yeah EF 1 tornado in Wyalusing as well. Crazy. First February tornado (s)  to hit PA since 1950

Can anyone point me to where I can find historical snowfall data for specific dates? Im looking for a storm system from either late Feb or more likely March (early April?) that affected extreme SE PA during winter either 85-86 or 86-87 (leaning Feb or March 1986). I was in Southeast Delco at the time, we started off the morning with heavy rain, possibly a thunderstorm from what I recall. It transitioned over to heavy snow by mid-morning with the biggest silver dollar+ sized wet flakes I think I ever saw. It quickly began to accumulate and we ended with a quick couple of inches of pasted wet snow iirc. Sorry so vague. Any help?

Once I can pinpoint the storm date, my next question is where can I find archived surface maps, radar, and/or model data?

Thanks.

Can anyone point me to where I can find historical snowfall data for specific dates? Im looking for a storm system from either late Feb or more likely March (early April?) that affected extreme SE PA during winter either 85-86 or 86-87 (leaning Feb or March 1986). I was in Southeast Delco at the time, we started off the morning with heavy rain, possibly a thunderstorm from what I recall. It transitioned over to heavy snow by mid-morning with the biggest silver dollar+ sized wet flakes I think I ever saw. It quickly began to accumulate and we ended with a quick couple of inches of pasted wet snow iirc. Sorry so vague. Any help?

Once I can pinpoint the storm date, my next question is where can I find archived surface maps, radar, and/or model data?

Thanks.

Ray's archive? I forget how far back it goes. I wasn't born yet so I am no help on this one lol

Thanks.

The Franklin Institute has an archive of Phila. historical weather going back to 1872 (the more recent data having been collected from their own facility as an official reporting station).  They used to post it as a html file but the page now just links to a spreadsheet with tabs for different eras.  It's a bit rudimentary but it's something and does include the daily highs/lows and precip for either rain or snow (scroll to the bottom to get a link to the spreadsheet)!

https://www.fi.edu/historical-weather-data-philadelphia

Seasonal trend that cannot be denied 12z ECM is north enough to get us into some decent snow now next Friday and it's still 144hrs away

I'm afraid there's time for an inland runner...

Really wish whatever falls it skates in here quicker as in Thurs evening/night and ends Fri morning. That would be ideal.

Ralph

In looking back into my Chester County records there was a big event that was mainly rain to the east toward NJ but with 23.5" falling out here in NW Chesco from Feb 23, 1987. Otherwise no other events in March or April of 87. There were a few minor events in March in 86 and even 1.1" fell on April 23, 1986

Hope that helps!
Paul

Thanks.

Archived