Newest Member
    joxey
4th Annual Fall/Winter Thread for the Mountains/Foothills

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet he even sold a car or two today.

I can't read models so I'm relegated to a 7 day forecast. Looks like we'll be wanting MET to start the Spring/Summer thread by mid week. Unless.....there's threats down the road that look promising ??

March 93........

In April.

ok this was another dud, I'm officially ready for spring, bring it on, tired of thinking maybe we'll get something and get nothing.  Had all that precip been going northeast would have had a better outcome but the moisture is headed due east.  :cry:

Drove all the way to Carter county TN over roan and back home, only to see the biggest flakes in several years in Marion. Lol oh the possibilities.... Oh well glad to see the NGA guys and Mr.carrollton get to see some snow, I aready got mine in January. Bring on spring I'm ready for some camping weather and civil war reenactments, time to get the Springfield cleaned up! Looking forward to the last shot in waynesville.

Drove all the way to Carter county TN over roan and back home, only to see the biggest flakes in several years in Marion. Lol oh the possibilities.... Oh well glad to see the NGA guys and Mr.carrollton get to see some snow, I aready got mine in January. Bring on spring I'm ready for some camping weather and civil war reenactments, time to get the Springfield cleaned up! Looking forward to the last shot in waynesville.

I suggest we all get together to re-enact the winter of 2015-16.  We can eat huge pieces of humble pie and shout curses at the sky.

I suggest we all get together to re-enact the winter of 2015-16. We can eat huge pieces of humble pie and shout curses at the sky.

I would gladly take another winter like this one, I think the foothills was the only area that got climo\above. I hate you guys down East couldn't get at least a few inches. Oh well, we always got next year, you never know what ole man winter will bring.

Snowing over in Avery. Ground is covered. Nice little surprise

And with that..and a new weather pattern taken over...Winter is effectively over for the mountains. (Of course there might be a high elevation Spring snow through Mid-May.)

As of 2-29, Mt Mitchell was up to a seasonal total 112.5 inches of snow...with a few more inches since then looks like they will end up with 120" for the season.

Beech Mtn ended up with only 64.8" compared to a normal 90+".  

Some other mtn reports can be found here:

http://www.skisoutheast.com/snow-reports/

Snowshoe came in with 119".

I estimate no more than about 40 to 50" for my mtn top location.

Comments from Raysweather.com on the long range outlook for March:

Forecast Discussion

High pressure slides off the Carolina Coast today. It has to the key to unlock the gates of warm air from the Gulf. And nothing changes until Friday. Today is warmer with partly to mostly cloudy skies. Tuesday is warmer with partly cloudy skies. The warmth continues Wednesday under lots of sun. Temperatures remain May-like Thursday with increasing clouds in the afternoon and overnight. 

High pressure will resist any frontal invasion from the west; however, a weak backdoor front will be nearby Friday. As a result, we must introduce the potential for drizzle or spotty light showers late Thursday night, Friday, and Saturday. Skies will be generally cloudy Thursday night through the weekend. Temperatures will back off 3-4 degrees. Don't expect much rain. 

Sunday, we have a better chance of showers as a weak disturbance passes through from the southwest. 

Our overall thinking about the month to come... Unseasonably warm weather will be with us for a while, at least through mid-March. Lawn mowing will begin earlier than usual; however, winter will return later in March or early in April. It could be a tough spring for agriculture ("green up" and "bloom out" then FREEZE).

Archived