• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Fall/Into Winter!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean it looks really good for the tug the first week of January. But I wouldn't put those numbers on it.

Still a ways out but can't imagine 50-100" off the Tug with a NW flow setup... I bet there's some good accumulation somewhere near the lakes though.

On another note, I gotta imagine people in places like Watertown (and BUF) have to be getting extremely impatient. Especially the people that depend on winter weather for their businesses

Still a ways out but can't imagine 50-100" off the Tug with a NW flow setup... I bet there's some good accumulation somewhere near the lakes though.

On another note, I gotta imagine people in places like Watertown (and BUF) have to be getting extremely impatient. Especially the people that depend on winter weather for their businesses

In 2011-2012 KBUF got 36.7" of snow for the entire year with the snowbelts only getting around 100-125"

In 2012-2013 KBUF only got 58.8" of snow with the snowbelts getting 125-150".

So this has happened before. Those years especially 11-12 featured conditions that would make it impossible to even make snow so the ski resorts took huge hits. Many snow clearing projects are done with contracts and don't depend on how much snow falls. However, many independent contractors do it by job as more of a side business so they are certainly hurting. El Nino years always feature a warmer than average Nov/Dec, so this was to be expected. The pattern looks much better going forward. Not great but serviceable.

Looks like the days and days of mild to warm and dry are done - step 1 was the precipitation, which my ponded yard tells me we've had plenty of in the last week.  Step 2, colder air, is now moving in.  The old pattern had it's high points, but it's time to open the door to some winter weather here in upstate NY.  Looking forward to this forum hopefully getting more active this coming week.  

Middle of January looks warm. Not like what we have been seeing, but not mid winter type stuff. There is a brief cool down and right back to above normal.

Never trust the weekend CPC- the robots throw some pretty wacky solutions when left unsupervised. ;)

I think the better answer is lots of ups and downs going forward instead of a raging inferno. ^_^

KBUF has me intrigued.

WHILE THE AFOREMENTIONED SHORTWAVE IS NOT EXPECTED TO GENERATE MUCH
IN THE WAY OF PRECIPITATION ACROSS WESTERN AND NORTH-CENTRAL NEW
YORK WEDNESDAY NIGHT...IT WILL HELP PUSH A COLD FRONT THROUGH THE
REGION. WITH 850MB TEMPS FALLING THROUGH -8C DURING THE DAY THURSDAY
ON REASONABLY WELL-ALIGNED WESTERLY FLOW...CONDITIONS WILL BECOME
INCREASINGLY FAVORABLE FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF LAKE EFFECT SNOWS EAST
OF THE LAKES. IN FACT WE MAY END UP SEEING A PROLONGED EVENT THAT
WILL LAST AT LEAST INTO SATURDAY AS A SERIES OF SHORTWAVES TRACK
ACROSS THE LOWER GREAT LAKES AND 850MB TEMPS FALL TO AROUND -12C.

WHILE IT IS FAR TOO EARLY TO TALK ABOUT HEADLINES OR
ACCUMULATIONS...GIVEN THE PROLONGED PERIOD OF DECENTLY FAVORABLE
CONDITIONS...WE COULD END UP SEEING SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS EAST
OF THE LAKES. ONE LIMITING FACTOR MAY BE A LACK OF MID-LEVEL
MOISTURE...PARTICULARLY TO THE SOUTH ACROSS LAKE ERIE...THAT SHOULD
LIMIT SNOWFALL RATES. THIS DOES NOT LOOK TO BE AS MUCH OF A FACTOR
TO THE EAST OF LAKE ONTARIO WHERE THE COMBINATION OF BETTER
AVAILABILITY OF DEEPER SYNOPTIC MOISTURE AND LONGER DOWN-LAKE FETCH
MAY END UP PRODUCING SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS OF THE TUG HILL
PLATEAU.

THE ARRIVAL OF A FAIRLY IMPRESSIVE CLIPPER RIGHT AT THE END OF THE
FORECAST PERIOD SATURDAY NIGHT/SUNDAY MAY END UP BRINGING MORE
WIDESPREAD SNOWFALL WITH MODELS EVEN HINTING AT THE POSSIBILITY OF
AN ACTUAL ARCTIC OUTBREAK BY THE END OF THE WEEKEND AS THE LONGWAVE
TROUGH AXIS SHIFTS ACROSS THE NORTHEAST WHILE HIGH AMPLITUDE RIDGING
DEVELOPS ALONG THE WEST COAST. THIS WOULD HAVE THE EFFECT OF
EXPOSING THE GREAT LAKES TO AN UNIMPEDED FLOW OF AIR FROM THE
CANADIAN ARCTIC THAT COULD LAST AT LEAST INTO EARLY NEXT WEEK AND
ACTUALLY PUSH TEMPERATURES TO A PLACE THEY HAVE NOT BEEN IN A LONG
TIME...BELOW AVERAGE.

KBUF WFO shows a lot of excitement for the Tug Hill Plateau, westerly flow at the surface aligns with 850mb flow very well, I just wish once Cape Cod got to enjoy those type of snowfalls.

I assume you have never experienced a lake effect blizzard.......as a winter weather enthusiast you owe it to yourself to check it out.

I've been through several both on Tug and in the Buffalo area.

It's both beautiful and at times downright frightening.

If the forecast looks solid as we get later in the week you should come for the weekend.

Cleveland NWS mentions wind directions of 260-270 Degrees. 260 would target Hamburg/OP area, 270 would hit Eden/Boston area. 260-270 off ontario targets the tug.

IT LOOKS LIKE WE WILL SEE SEVERAL DAYS WITH LAKE
EFFECT SNOW POTENTIAL.  THE 00Z ECMWF IS A LITTLE QUICKER BRINGING
IN THE COLDER AIR ALOFT ON THURSDAY.  THE LAKE EFFECT WILL GET GOING
LATE IN THE DAY AND WILL STICK WITH LIKELY POPS THURSDAY NIGHT.
GIVEN A 260 TO 270 DEGREE FLOW THE SNOW WILL NOT SPREAD VERY FAR
INLAND ACROSS NE OHIO.  SOME ACTIVITY IS EXPECTED ON FRIDAY AS WELL.
SATURDAY WILL SEE SOME WEAK WARM AIR ADVECTION WHICH MAY CAUSE THE
PRECIP ACTIVITY TO DIMINISH SOME. A REINFORCING SHOT OF COLD AIR
WILL ARRIVE SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY BEHIND ANOTHER TROUGH.  WILL
SEE PRECIP CHANCES RAMP UP AGAIN AT THAT TIME.

I think someone ends up with some significant icing concerns tonight.  This storm is perfect in terms of diurnal timing and the fact that the low is weakening might slow the push of warmer air a little more than models are predicting.  Seems like a solid .3 to .5 inches of precip falling as either sleet or freezing rain which should be more than enough to start some tree and powerline issues especially when you factor in the potential gusty winds. 

I wouldnt be surprised to see an Eastern Lake Ontario county upgraded to Ice storm warnings.  I also remember past events where the Niagara escarpment has held sub freezing air for several hours longer than surrounding areas.  I'll be firing up the chainsaw and generator for a quick test run when I get home just to be safe.  Should be an exciting night.  

I think someone ends up with some significant icing concerns tonight. This storm is perfect in terms of diurnal timing and the fact that the low is weakening might slow the push of warmer air a little more than models are predicting. Seems like a solid .3 to .5 inches of precip falling as either sleet or freezing rain which should be more than enough to start some tree and powerline issues especially when you factor in the potential gusty winds.

I wouldnt be surprised to see an Eastern Lake Ontario county upgraded to Ice storm warnings. I also remember past events where the Niagara escarpment has held sub freezing air for several hours longer than surrounding areas. I'll be firing up the chainsaw and generator for a quick test run when I get home just to be safe. Should be an exciting night.

I was thinking that it may be interesting since the colder & drier air is still filtering in... Steady at 25 in kroc. Would like to see those winds back to NE...

Pretty good snow falling right now, ground is covered.

Same here.  Drove home from Ellicotville at 4.  Freezing rain/sleet mix all the way up the 219 (not a fun drive).  Moderate snow here for the last 30 minutes.  If this keeps up, BUF might crack the 1 inch barrier before Jan 1.  Now that would be an accomplishment... :whistle:

Archived