• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Fall/Into Winter!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decided to come to Buffalo first thing yesterday morning to see the snow and some family that I couldn't see for Christmas. Really nice to see some snow back at home. A solid foot or so in Orchard Park. They must have cashed in a few bonus inches today with that band. Anyone have reports of what fell today in the band? Was in Amherst most of the day while that band looked like it was starting to go to town around the airport and south into the southtowns. There was some pretty heavy burst of snow at the Christmas Tree shop on Niagara Falls Blvd just before noon. Very graupely snow but a quick inch or two fell in about an hour. Nothing at families house in Lockport but like I said a solid 1' or so at the car dealership in Orchard Park getting my oil change done... Boy do I miss WNY

Decided to come to Buffalo first thing yesterday morning to see the snow and some family that I couldn't see for Christmas. Really nice to see some snow back at home. A solid foot or so in Orchard Park. They must have cashed in a few bonus inches today with that band. Anyone have reports of what fell today in the band? Was in Amherst most of the day while that band looked like it was starting to go to town around the airport and south into the southtowns. There was some pretty heavy burst of snow at the Christmas Tree shop on Niagara Falls Blvd just before noon. Very graupely snow but a quick inch or two fell in about an hour. Nothing at families house in Lockport but like I said a solid 1' or so at the car dealership in Orchard Park getting my oil change done... Boy do I miss WNY

Also... Nice to see a lake snow advisory in effect even here in Northern Erie for 3am tonight till 10am tomorrow morning for 3-5" of snow. May have to wait till after 10am tomorrow to head back. Think it's gonna be a pretty hairy drive along the thruway...

Nice to have you back in WNY Devin. This forum isn't the same without another super active poster like yourself. Hopefully you can make your way back soon. I should be buying a house this year, your welcome to come stay with me if you get the urge to chase a LES event. We picked up 1.3" in that little band that stalled over the southtowns early this afternoon. It looked better on radar then it did falling.

Looks like we get cranking right up again!

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM SUNDAY TO 1 AMEST MONDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECTSNOW WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM SUNDAY TO 1 AM ESTMONDAY.* LOCATIONS...CHAUTAUQUA...CATTARAUGUS AND SOUTHERN ERIE COUNTIES.  GREATEST AMOUNTS ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF THE BOSTON HILLS  AND CHAUTAUQUA RIDGE.* TIMING...FROM EARLY SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH OVERNIGHT SUNDAY  NIGHT.* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 6 INCHES SUNDAY AND 1 TO 3 INCHES SUNDAY  NIGHT...LEADING TO STORM TOTALS OF 5 TO 9 INCHES IN THE MOST  PERSISTENT LAKE SNOWS.* WINDS...NORTHWEST 15 TO 25 MPH.* VISIBILITIES...AS LOW AS A HALF MILE AT TIMES.* TEMPERATURES...HIGHS AROUND 30 SUNDAY. LOWS 10 TO 15 SUNDAY  NIGHT.

Mid January to the end of the month looks amazing for the lake snow belts. I have a feeling everyone will be getting a good dose of winter during that time period.

LOOKING FARTHER AHEAD... THERE REMAINS CLEAR SIGNALS IN THE LONGER
RANGE FORECASTS FROM THE GFS/EC AND CFS FOR TEMPERATURES TO TURN
BELOW NORMAL FROM ABOUT JANUARY 11 THROUGH THE MIDDLE PORTION OF THE
MONTH. WITH LAKE TEMPERATURES STILL RUNNING ABNORMALLY WARM AFTER A
RECORD BREAKING WARM DECEMBER... A TURN TO BELOW OR MUCH BELOW
NORMAL TEMPERATURES SHOULD SIGNAL AN INCREASE OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW
EVENTS AS WELL.

I get back to Oswego on the 24th... hopefully I won't miss out. 

Anyways, I don't think any reports off Ontario made it to a foot of snow, although several sites got to 11.5" or so. I'm sure there were isolated higher amounts outside the spotter network. 

Another round of lake effect after the arctic front this weekend. I'm more curious what the front will produce, as the last one I remember (last February) caused a lot of chaos by itself. 

I get back to Oswego on the 24th... hopefully I won't miss out. 

Anyways, I don't think any reports off Ontario made it to a foot of snow, although several sites got to 11.5" or so. I'm sure there were isolated higher amounts outside the spotter network. 

Another round of lake effect after the arctic front this weekend. I'm more curious what the front will produce, as the last one I remember (last February) caused a lot of chaos by itself. 

Yeah this event looks pretty good for Oswego county I think. Should be many more bigger ones later on this winter though.

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 8 AM SUNDAY TO 1 PMEST MONDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECTSNOW WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 8 AM SUNDAY TO 1 PM ESTMONDAY.* LOCATIONS...OSWEGO COUNTY.* TIMING...FROM EARLY SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH EARLY MONDAY  AFTERNOON.* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 7 INCHES SUNDAY...2 TO 4 INCHES SUNDAY  NIGHT...AND 1 TO 3 INCHES MONDAY...LEADING TO STORM TOTALS OF 7  TO 14 INCHES IN THE MOST PERSISTENT LAKE SNOWS.* WINDS...NORTHWEST 20 TO 30 MPH.* VISIBILITIES...AS LOW AS A HALF MILE AT TIMES.* TEMPERATURES...HIGHS IN THE LOWER 30S SUNDAY. LOWS 5 TO 10  ABOVE SUNDAY NIGHT. HIGHS 10 TO 15 MONDAY.

Archived