• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Fall/Into Winter!

This weekend is looking really nice off of Ontario. I very persistent flow over the lake with a good long fetch connection according to the 0z GFS. Saturday has the best chance for the region with the southern and central Tug region looking primed for a really nice event setting up. Nothing historic, but the Lakes will be delivering the goods for a few days for sure. Could see a lot of white showing up around the snow belt by next Tuesday.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lake Effect Rain in late December... Good Grief!

Yeah the dud potential for the New Years event is growing and growing. Maybe a little action down by you in the southern burbs but looking like a stretch for anything up here in the metro.

Home Bills game Sunday... If I had only one wish... It would be for the lake band to flare up right over OP around noon on Sunday... Hey a guy can dream can't he?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lake Effect Rain in late December... Good Grief!

Yeah the dud potential for the New Years event is growing and growing. Maybe a little action down by you in the southern burbs but looking like a stretch for anything up here in the metro.

Home Bills game Sunday... If I had only one wish... It would be for the lake band to flare up right over OP around noon on Sunday... Hey a guy can dream can't he?

Sent from my iPhone

It really is an awesome band. Surface temps range from 35-39. 850 MB temps are around -5 to -8 which is creating enough lift to make Lake effect rain as surface temps on portions of Lake Erie are still 43-48. Just a few more degrees colder and we have a Lake snow advisory/warning in central erie county.

codnexlab.NEXRAD.BUF.N0Q.20151230.556.04

Latest update from KBUF has 18-24" for my area of Redfield through Saturday with max amounts just north of 30". Nice band off Ontario now but north of me. Hope I'm not watching it sit a few miles north of me for very long. Ready to get this thing started!

Latest update from KBUF has 18-24" for my area of Redfield through Saturday with max amounts just north of 30". Nice band off Ontario now but north of me. Hope I'm not watching it sit a few miles north of me for very long. Ready to get this thing started!

Yeah Redfield looks to be in a perfect spot for this. Analogs look better as were so close to the even now. Lake snow advisories for all of Erie county and LES Warnings for the tug/watertown.

COOPmednam212F048.png

COOP6percnam212F048.png

Looks like up to a foot of snow off Erie and 2 feet off of the Tug.

NYZ012-019-020-085-311645-

/O.CON.KBUF.LE.Y.0032.151231T1700Z-160102T1700Z/

WYOMING-CHAUTAUQUA-CATTARAUGUS-SOUTHERN ERIE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WARSAW...JAMESTOWN...OLEAN...

ORCHARD PARK...SPRINGVILLE

341 AM EST THU DEC 31 2015

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO

NOON EST SATURDAY...

* LOCATIONS...SOUTHERN ERIE...WYOMING...CHAUTAUQUA...AND

CATTARAUGUS COUNTIES. GREATEST AMOUNTS ACROSS THE HIGHER

TERRAIN OF THE BOSTON HILLS AND CHAUTAUQUA RIDGE.

* TIMING...FROM LATE THIS MORNING THROUGH LATE SATURDAY MORNING.

* ACCUMULATIONS...AROUND AN INCH THIS AFTERNOON...1 TO 3 INCHES

TONIGHT...2 TO 4 INCHES FRIDAY...3 TO 5 INCHES FRIDAY NIGHT...

AND UP TO AN INCH SATURDAY...LEADING TO STORM TOTALS OF 8 TO 12

INCHES IN THE MOST PERSISTENT LAKE SNOWS.

* WINDS...WEST 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH PRODUCING SOME

BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 1 PM EST

FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECT

SNOW ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 1 PM EST FRIDAY.

* LOCATIONS...NORTHERN ERIE COUNTY...MAINLY FROM THE CITY OF

BUFFALO INTO THE SOUTHERN AND EASTERN SUBURBS.

* TIMING...FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH EARLY FRIDAY AFTERNOON.

* ACCUMULATIONS...UP TO AN INCH OVERNIGHT AND 2 TO 4 INCHES

FRIDAY...LEADING TO STORM TOTALS OF 3 TO 5 INCHES IN THE MOST

PERSISTENT LAKE SNOWS.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECT

SNOW WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM THIS MORNING TO 7 PM

EST SATURDAY. THIS UPGRADES THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW WATCH WHICH WAS

PREVIOUSLY IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...JEFFERSON...OSWEGO...AND LEWIS COUNTIES. GREATEST

AMOUNTS ACROSS THE TUG HILL PLATEAU.

* TIMING...FROM LATE THIS MORNING THROUGH EARLY SATURDAY EVENING.

* ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 4 INCHES TODAY...5 TO 9 INCHES TONIGHT...4

TO 7 INCHES FRIDAY...6 TO 11 INCHES FRIDAY NIGHT...3 TO 6 INCHES

SATURDAY IN PERSISTENT BANDS. STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 12 TO

18 INCHES ACROSS LOWER ELEVATIONS...AND UP TO 2 FEET ACROSS THE

TUG HILL PLATEAU.

Whats the best LES event you've been through? Do you travel to Redfield every year? Make sure to post pics/videos!

Whats the best LES event you've been through? Do you travel to Redfield every year? Make sure to post pics/videos!

Been coming to Redfield for about 10 years. Had a cabin here for several years but sold it. The new owners still let us use it at Christmas. Probably best event I have seen was 36" over about 4 days. First year I had the cabin was incredible though. Close to 400" and I could stand on top of snow and rest my arm on roof.

I'll keep you posted. Seems right now that things have set up north of guidance. Hope it comes south soon. Been here many times dry and watching it snow 5-10 miles away. Hopefully not this time.

Snowfall forecast, kbuf

post-694-0-04295000-1451578331_thumb.png

FRIDAY NIGHT BOUNDARY LAYER FLOW VEERS FURTHER TO THE WNW...PUSHING
THE BAND SOUTH INTO CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN OSWEGO COUNTY AND POSSIBLY
CLIPPING THE FAR NORTHERN PORTION OF CAYUGA COUNTY NEAR FAIR HAVEN
AND MARTVILLE. THE BAND WILL THEN REMAIN IN PLACE OVERNIGHT AND
POSSIBLY PRODUCE UP TO A FOOT OF ACCUMULATION IN CENTRAL/SOUTHERN
OSWEGO COUNTY.

Personally don't buy the 8-12"+ for Oswego Co./Fulton area on Friday night. Band looks awfully transient and will probably only sit over Central Oswego county for 4-6 hours before lifting back north. Maybe 4-8" for that area but it really seems like a case of jumping from the low end to high end awfully quickly. 

On another note, the 4km NAM and the NAM have the remnants of the Erie band affecting the Syracuse region (with some help from background synoptic moisture/lift) tonight! That would certainly be interesting to see!

BUF goes back to a more realistic map in their last update. Band should eventually get going tonight... if I had to guess somewhere around 9-10PM. Flake size won't be great, and we'll probably see at least some graupel mixed in at times with 850 temps not really ideal. Band shifts towards Watertown near daybreak before veering back south tomorrow. Syracuse will get an inch or two at most. Just too transient tomorrow night to get anything significant south of the Tug

BUF goes back to a more realistic map in their last update. Band should eventually get going tonight... if I had to guess somewhere around 9-10PM. Flake size won't be great, and we'll probably see at least some graupel mixed in at times with 850 temps not really ideal. Band shifts towards Watertown near daybreak before veering back south tomorrow. Syracuse will get an inch or two at most. Just too transient tomorrow night to get anything significant south of the Tug

Still shows solid 18-24" from 7pm tonight - 7pm Saturday for my area in Redfield with 30" max just north of me. Band definitely will be moving around quite a bit starting early morning though.

Still shows solid 18-24" from 7pm tonight - 7pm Saturday for my area in Redfield with 30" max just north of me. Band definitely will be moving around quite a bit starting early morning though.

Yeah I was talking about putting Fulton/Baldwinsville in the 8-12/12-18" range. Seemed way too high.

Band still sitting right around where expected but pretty poorly organized. Let me know if you get graupel when the band moves through

The lake effect better get its act together quickly. It looks like total crap. Those 30 " totals off Ontario will be laughable it doesn't strengthen quite a bit. I think this event is going to struggle throughout its entirety with less than ideal moisture to work with. Still think a max off Erie somewhere near Colden with around 10" and a max off Ontario of around 18" near or just south of Worth. Not a bad event especially in this winter but nothing to write home about it appears. I hope I'm wrong and I'd be happy to be wrong because I was considering chasing this earlier in the week when the models looked like this was going to be a big event. I'm not 100% out, if the band can get its act together quickly and looks impressive by morning. Wouldn't mind booking something for a night or 2 on the Tug to start the New Year!

The lake effect better get its act together quickly. It looks like total crap. Those 30 " totals off Ontario will be laughable it doesn't strengthen quite a bit. I think this event is going to struggle throughout its entirety with less than ideal moisture to work with. Still think a max off Erie somewhere near Colden with around 10" and a max off Ontario of around 18" near or just south of Worth. Not a bad event especially in this winter but nothing to write home about it appears. I hope I'm wrong and I'd be happy to be wrong because I was considering chasing this earlier in the week when the models looked like this was going to be a big event. I'm not 100% out, if the band can get its act together quickly and looks impressive by morning. Wouldn't mind booking something for a night or 2 on the Tug to start the New Year!

Almost certainly will be in a weakened state tomorrow morning as the flow backs a little bit ahead of the approaching s/w. Tomorrow is really when activity should pick up, although I still think we see some better organization later this evening/tonight. Webcams from some areas near the Tug look like at least a few inches has fallen in places. It's just going to slowly accumulate over the next 48 hours or so. 

Archived