• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
9/30-10/5 Joaquin-Trough Interaction-DISCUSSION/OBS

bluewave

The water vapor loop is quite impressive. If the models weren't so locked in, I might think this storm would make a direct hit on Hatteras. A question for those more experienced, is it more the strength of the ULL in North Georgia (lack of having a negative tilt) that will fail to capture the storm or is the position and strength of the ridge in the Atlantic the reason Joaquin will escape out to see?

It's a combination of both. If the Ridge in the Atlantic is stronger (ie with Sandy the NAO was approx - 2) it would give the ULL enough time to get its act together to force a capture. Similarly, if the ULL was currently stronger, it would have a better shot at capturing despite the weaker ridging. That said, a strong hurricane like Joaquin tends to create it's own environment as well and right now it's just meandering, so time will tell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joaquin has been the ugliest Cat 4 I've seen in a long time. Usually you can find at least one satellite product that makes a storm sexy, be it an extravagant IR color scheme, the first sunrise visible image, a well-timed MW pass... not so with Joaquin. That said, the system is making for some mighty impressive WV loops in concert with the trough of doom.

kDw2hc0.gif

Classic nor easter conditions right now. Heavy rain and wind gusting into the 30s.  Checked the bay since its high tide here now- some water in the streets for sure, but about standard for this kind of deal.  

I would go for seasonal transitions like this every year.  Long hot summer right through September, then bang- nor' easters.  

I noticed the wording in NWS coastal flood products is now slightly different. Mentioning the water level above ground level. Those are changes that were made across the board after Sandy.

LOCATIONS...COASTAL NEW YORK HARBOR AND ADJACENT AREAS OF WESTERN LONG ISLAND SOUND. * TIMING...MINOR COASTAL FLOODING AROUND THE TIMES OF HIGH TIDE THROUGH SATURDAY. * IMPACTS...WATER LEVELS LESS THAN 3 FEET ABOVE GROUND LEVEL IN MOST VULNERABLE LOW LYING AREAS. * TIDAL DEPARTURES...1 TO 2 FT ABOVE ASTRONOMICAL TIDE LEVELS THROUGH SATURDAY.

Pretty interesting that the 3 strongest hurricanes since 2012 all occurred in October

between the East Coast to Bermuda. All three hurricanes happened during developing

El Ninos. But the El Nino got shut down in the fall of 2012 after peaking early

and not following through for the winter.Hopefully, the memorable winter storms

following months later gets repeated this winter.

Archived