Newest Member
    joxey
9/30-10/5 Joaquin-Trough Interaction-DISCUSSION/OBS

bluewave

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah very weird run. Tossed?

Yes very weird. If the 00Z Euro's forecast along the East Coast gets that amplified, with the Western Atlantic ridge retrograding to north of the closed low along the Southeast coast, maybe it could sneak underneath. We'd still get a decent nor'easter with lots of rain.

And then there's the 00Z ECMWF...well SE of Cape Cod Sunday evening as the SE upper low is more dominant...but plowing right into or sneaking under the Western Atlantic ridge? Good grief

At first thought, I was surprised the Euro wavered like this, considering how great it was with Sandy, with regard to run to run model consistency. But--and I can't believe I'm going to to say this-- this setup is actually more complicated than with Sandy.

For one we have a closed ULL over the SE, as oppose to the deep "clean" upper level trough we saw with Sandy.

Secondly, Sandy was a "steady-state" mature hurricane as it approached the CONUS and the upper level dynamics. Joaquin's future intensity remains very much in question. Will she be a poorly defined tropical system, or a strengthening hurricane, as the trough approaches? 

At first thought, I was surprised the Euro wavered like this, considering how great it was with Sandy, with regard to run to run model consistency. But--and I can't believe I'm going to to say this-- this setup is actually more complicated than with Sandy.

For one we have a closed ULL over the SE, as oppose to the deep "clean" upper level trough we saw with Sandy.

Secondly, Sandy was a "steady-state" mature hurricane as it approached the CONUS and the upper level dynamics. Joaquin's future intensity remains very much in question. Will she be a poorly defined tropical system, or a strengthening hurricane, as the trough approaches? 

Yes, I agree this is a more complicated scenario. Models look like they're having trouble resolving between Joaquin and the coastal storm that is likely to form even if Joaquin weren't there.

Archived