joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
9/30-10/5 Joaquin-Trough Interaction-DISCUSSION/OBS

bluewave

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll say at this juncture the pattern looks concerning. Strong, possibly closed off blocking high to the northeast of future-Joaquin which would prevent a slide out to sea, and a possible strong trough diving in west of the storm which could at least draw it into the coast, if not a full capture/phase like Sandy. The Euro captures/phases Joaquin right in and slams it onshore seemingly near the VA capes, while the GFS is more modest with the trough interaction to the west and allows more of a northerly track into Long Island. 

I don't think this would be as powerful as Sandy was, given how much bigger and stronger Sandy was vs. Joaquin. Sandy was at one brief point a Cat 3 and was massive in size the whole way through (part of what made Sandy so devastating was its size), while Joaquin looks to max out maybe as a strong tropical storm and would certainly have strong wind near and east of where it makes landfall, but wouldn't stall out like Sandy and be more of a heavy rain threat along and west of the track. 

Anyway, definitely something to watch over the next few days. 

To me this is starting to look like an extreme event in the way of rainfall somewhere between North Carolina and Cape Cod,  It is still way to early for any more specifics.  A stalled front with a moisture conduit from the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic with strong upper level support.  This year is turning into one historic weather event after another.

To me this is starting to look like an extreme event in the way of rainfall somewhere between North Carolina and Cape Cod,  It is still way to early for any more specifics.  A stalled front with a moisture conduit from the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic with strong upper level support.  This year is turning into one historic weather event after another.

Don't forget Marty, which is also feeding moisture into the trough.

I'll say at this juncture the pattern looks concerning. Strong, possibly closed off blocking high to the northeast of future-Joaquin which would prevent a slide out to sea, and a possible strong trough diving in west of the storm which could at least draw it into the coast, if not a full capture/phase like Sandy. The Euro captures/phases Joaquin right in and slams it onshore seemingly near the VA capes, while the GFS is more modest with the trough interaction to the west and allows more of a northerly track into Long Island.

I don't think this would be as powerful as Sandy was, given how much bigger and stronger Sandy was vs. Joaquin. Sandy was at one brief point a Cat 3 and was massive in size the whole way through (part of what made Sandy so devastating was its size), while Joaquin looks to max out maybe as a strong tropical storm and would certainly have strong wind near and east of where it makes landfall, but wouldn't stall out like Sandy and be more of a heavy rain threat along and west of the track.

Anyway, definitely something to watch over the next few days.

There is no way this is even in the league of Sandy. We aren't going from weak naked deppression to massive cat 2. It's also earlier in the season which means less baroclinicity to work with.

I see at worst a high end tropical storm hybrid type event. Coastal wise a one in 5-10 year event. Anyone that's home floods from that should have raised or sold.

Rain wise this could be bad somewhere and this will most likely be remembered for that

There is no way this is even in the league of Sandy. We aren't going from weak naked deppression to massive cat 2. It's also earlier in the season which means less baroclinicity to work with.

I see at worst a high end tropical storm hybrid type event. Coastal wise a one in 5-10 year event. Anyone that's home floods from that should have raised or sold.

Rain wise this could be bad somewhere and this will most likely be remembered for that

I could see something like March 2010 or December 92 possibly.

Archived