joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Ghosts, Ghouls, Pumpkins, Autumn Chill?: October 2015 DISCUSSION/OBS

UnionWeatherWx

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best fall colors in a couple years at mill pond in wantagh. Red maples and sweet gums are on fire. Black gums which turn red super early are getting past peak and will not survive the comming storm. The lack of any real wind and the summer drought and the light freeze we had with the last cold push really did it this year!!

We were one of the few areas of the US to avoid the much above normal temps this month.

I guess that we earned a break from the record warm May through September.

attachicon.gifMonthTDeptUS.png

Haven't had a below normal October at my station since 2009....with the warmer temps the next 2 days followed by a cool down to end the month, its gonna come close.

Haven't had a below normal October at my station since 2009....with the warmer temps the next 2 days followed by a cool down to end the month, its gonna come close.

NYC should keep the post 2009 above normal October streak going. The last top ten coldest Octobers

in NYC were 1988 and 1976. But setting the new October snowfall record in 2011 was more fun than

records for October cold. But the following winter left much to be desired. ;)

2015...+0.7 so far

2014...+2.7

2013...+3.3

2012...+1.2

2011...+0.5

2010...+1.5

2009...-1.6

the 1981-2010 October normal as per noaa is 56.9...The 1981-2010 real monthly average is 57.4...as of today NYC will be averaging 58.3...We should be comparing 2015 to the 1981-2010 monthly average which is 57.4...56.9 is near the long term average since 1870...

You have to remember that the annual monthly readings over the 30 year period are sometimes adjusted for quality

control after the fact by the NCDC. So their official readings could be slightly different from your originals.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/data-access/land-based-station-data/land-based-datasets/climate-normals/1981-2010-normals-data

In the strictest sense, a "normal" of a particular variable (e.g., temperature) is defined as the 30-year average. For example, the minimum temperature normal in January for a station in Chicago, Illinois, would be computed by taking the average of the 30 January values of monthly averaged minimum temperatures from 1981 to 2010. Each of the 30 monthly values was in turn derived from averaging the daily observations of minimum temperature for the station. In practice, however, much more goes into NCEI's Climate Normals product than simple 30-year averages. Procedures are put in place to deal with missing and suspect data values. In addition, Climate Normals include quantities other than averages such as degree days, probabilities, standard deviations, etc. Climate Normals are a large suite of data products that provide users with many tools to understand typical climate conditions for thousands of locations across the United States.

You have to remember that the annual monthly readings over the 30 year period are sometimes adjusted for quality

control after the fact by the NCDC. So their official readings could be slightly different from your originals.

I'm only adding up the 30 years and dividing by 30...Are those numbers wrong?

as a numbers guy I don't buy it but it is what it is...The normal's don't add up to the averages...I've been tracking highs and lows since 1962 and keeping records...I still do it the old fashion way...

How do you that the raw normals that you have haven't been adjusted for quality control?

The raw data sometimes has flaws in it.

then why don't they change the monthly average?

http://www.weather.gov/media/okx/Climate/CentralPark/monthlyannualtemp.pdf

Maybe contact someone from the NWS at Upton and ask how the NCDC official 30 year averages differ

from the raw monthly values on the OKX homepage. They may have a met there that is their lead

on local climate data. I don't know enough about how the NCDC handles the NYC site data.

But Upton has the official 30 year averages for NYC on this page which has October at 56.9.

http://www.weather.gov/media/okx/Climate/CentralPark/nycnormals.pdf

Maybe contact someone from the NWS at Upton and ask how the NCDC official 30 year averages differ

from the raw monthly values on the OKX homepage. They may have a met there that is their lead

on local climate data. I don't know enough about how the NCDC handles the NYC site data.

But Upton has the official 30 year averages for NYC on this page which has October at 56.9.

http://www.weather.gov/media/okx/Climate/CentralPark/nycnormals.pdf

that's where I got the 56.9 from...That is supposed to be the 30 year normal...every month is smoothed low...It just isn't the raw numbers they have on their own site...I e mailed them about a mistake in the 6" snowfalls page...They still don't have the 12/23-24/1961 6.2" storm listed...

While the cold shot on the 18-19th was impressive, NYC will keep the October above normal

temperature streak since 2010 going. But we avoided the more significant milder departures

of 2013 and 2014 as many local sites will finish closer to normal. The major October warmth

this year stayed to our west across much of the US.

2015...+0.9 so far

2014...+2.7

2013...+3.3

2012...+1.2

2011...+0.5

2010...+1.5

2009...-1.6

Archived